Lady and the Tramp

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2006, 8:12 am

I got the CAV as well, for the extra bits.

Thanks Rand, I have tracked down the US Academy disc - funny that they put out three (the widescreen CAV "collectors set", the widescreen movie-only CLV edition, and the CLV fullframe version sourced from the Academy print).

Funny thing is that all three tout themselved as being "fully restored". Now, we know that the new restorations are better than the film/video based jobs of the 1990s, but that last L&TT disc looked pretty cool.

So it's a DOUBLE shame that they didn't at least use the last "fully restored" master for the full frame. Sure, it might not have measured up to the new Lowry clean up, but would have been much more preferable to the cropped pan-and-scan job that wastes so much space on the new DVD.

Honestly, what with that and the lacklustre extras, this beats Cinderella for being the lightest "Platinum" so far...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 23rd, 2006, 11:53 am

IS it really that bad? What did you hope for? Apart from the obvious Pan & Scan issue and Audio Comm. that is.....
Last edited by JustinWilliams on February 23rd, 2006, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 23rd, 2006, 5:21 pm

JustinWilliams wrote:As well as Ultimate Disney's tempting six screen shots a day feature, Disney will soon have the new 'Bella Notte' video on the site sung, rather well, by Steve Tyrell. For now, you can catch it on Disney Showcase - I just can't wait for the DVD release on R1!

Update: Playusa.com's just shipped mine to me :)
As I said on Wednesday [above] the site now has updated; The updates include movie and DVD footage (pan & scan?!) as well as other odds and ends such as a new game, and links to yet another Disney CD ironically titled, 'The Disney Standards' :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 25th, 2006, 5:49 pm

IGN's DVD REVIEW is a glowing one giving the extras a near-perfect 9/10 and the title a 10/10 in general. In addition, there's a great article abut thier having been to the Disney vaults!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Justin...we know you love Disney, but this is verging on spamming, just FYI. :)

And, yeah, both Cinderella and L&TT have been disappointing - L&TT even more so for the lack of consistency in packaging (no "open up", foiled or embossed "special" cover) and the lack of great extras.

Bambi knocked one out of the park and even Cinders at least got the lavish box set that upped the collectible factor.

However, the lack of the Academy transfer - and I WILL keep going on about this - is a MAJOR let down, especially since they mention in in the supplements and it would have made the first disc the real deal and not just a redundant layer that could have held more stuff (and would have made up for lack of commentary).

For those that care, the extracts from the movie seen in the two Disney TV shows that are on disc two are taken from the Academy ratio print, so one can truly see the different framing - check out the placement of the dogs as they move in on Tramp.

As I say, the last restored edition of the Academy print would have been more than enough - the IGN review does not take this into account as it is a very rarely known fact and from the clips shown on disc two, one could easily think that the 1.33:1 version on disc one was this print.

Would have made this quite a big deal. A real shame! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 26th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Ben wrote:Justin...we know you love Disney, but this is verging on spamming, just FYI. :)
Get a life! ;) I thought the forums were for people to talk about their passions. I agree with your comments re. the lack of the Academy transfer and even the commentary - just think the edition's not as disappointing as you make out. :? You've still not mentioned what 'great extras' you are expecting. Would love to know.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Not wise to advise a moderator of any forum to "get a life". ;)

Yes, talking about your passions is great, but please take my comments here on board.

BTW, I don't know what to have expected from this set. A commentary, possibly, the Academy print, certainly.

The games and music video fluff we get on disc two takes up the space that a proper reconstruction on the early storybaords could have had, perhaps? Maybe the full Disney TV shows instead of just the T&TT-specific excerpts?

That's the thing about the early Platinums and even ones such as Aladdin - they simply threw unique and unexpected bonuses at us. Who could ever have imagined the Story Meetings concept for Bambi?

I just think the bar was raised early and pretty much kept up for a number of releases before being dropped on the last two, that's all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 26th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Yeah I agree - the other thing is that for most collectors we don't need a new doc. on multiplane cameras or, like the very lengthy one on L&TT, what storyboarding is! New angles must be hard for them to come up with - i got the sense that they really didn't have much to add to what they provided...They didn't seem to have the material that Bambi did [like Walt's meeting notes].... I felt the extras said it all, showed it all - and that's why I asked you if you KNEW of anything esle they could have included?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2006, 10:13 pm

For the record, here finally is my DVD Toons coverage on the disc:
http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/477

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Lady and the Tramp II DVD Cover

Post by JustinWilliams » April 10th, 2006, 5:25 pm

This high res dvd cover mackes me feel ill! I'm sticking with my original version... Eugh! Ugly art award goes to.....

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... mp-ii.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 10th, 2006, 5:35 pm

She must have a thick head to support all that weight...;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2006, 9:18 am

Ugh!!

Not only does it have art drawn by a five year old, but where are any new features? My disc from 2001 has all of that!

BTW, that older disc had some synch issues, especially at the front end of the movie. Can anyone else verify that, or if you buy the new release if this has been fixed?

Most notable on Tramp's early scenes - his mouth is saying the right things, but it's just off slightly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Lady And The Tramp 3??

Post by youngpup » February 19th, 2007, 11:16 am

I enjoy all different dog movies with me being such a big lover of dogs one of my favorite movies were Lady & The Tramp 2: Scamps adventre does anyone know if theyll be making a 3rd one

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 19th, 2007, 4:27 pm

No, they're not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 19th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Welcome to the boards, youngpup! :)

Unfortunetly, there are no plans for a second sequel to Lady and The Tramp. I, as you, consider this to be one of my favorite films.

Don't know if you've heard, but its pretty much confirmed, that Little Mermaid III will be the last sequel. So if does indeed become a reality, I seriously doubt we'll ever get a L&TTIII.

So sorry, but at least Scamps Adventure was a fitting continuation, and ending!