Hercules

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Hercules

Post by chernabog » March 5th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Does anyone know if and when there will be a Hercules special edition DVD? All of the films of the 90's have had special editions except for Hercules and Hunchback and I was wondering if there are any plans to release them.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm

A Hunchback SE was rumored and even had a cover appear - and disappear - on Amazon.com.

I would not be surprised if these two get some kind of SE treatment, especially Hunchback, which had one of the last big LaserDisc box set treatments and has a bunch of material ready to roll on any 2-disc SE.

Hercules is still seen as a bit of a flop, for whatever reason. But with Ron and John back at the Studio and Disney pumping out the last of their product in the anticipation of BluRay, I wouldn't be surprised if it was revisited. It at least needs an anamorphic transfer!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » March 5th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Thanks. I hope we get one soon, Hercules is my favourite film and having only a few extra features just feels criminal.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 10th, 2006, 5:00 pm

I wouldn't mind a 2-disc set, especially since I don't even have this movie on DVD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » April 3rd, 2006, 5:35 am

I'm sorry this post is a little delayed, but if you're a fan of Hercules and want to learn out about how it was made, I'd completely recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 54-8084644

I found this in a cheapy book shop a few years ago, and it's pretty good as an insight into the history of animation (when I first got it, I wouldn't stop reading it over and over again for months). But, what's really good is that it contains a huge segment (I mean 50 pages if not more) on the making of Hercules, which is rather indepth. It's definetely worth getting if you love the film, even if it's a copy off Amazon Marketplace.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 3rd, 2006, 5:41 am

Cool thanks. Unfortunately I already have a making of Hercules book but if tihs includes any different concept art or information I may buy it. Thanks again!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 3rd, 2006, 11:23 am

That's a VERY old book. We never got it at my house, but I remember flipping through it and it looked good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2006, 2:58 pm

There's a book called "Art of Animation" in my school library - it's the same thing only it has a lot on Beauty and the Beast instead of Hercules.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2006, 3:38 pm

Yeah, this was an annual re-print. I believe the first one was Beauty And The Beast, after which there was an Aladdin one (also well worth picking up). I THINK they missed Lion King (but started the Art Of... books with that one) and then did this Hercules version, which is the one I have too.

Mine has a lenticular cover...yours come with that Wonder? If not, it might have been a limited first pressing deal. Still worth getting though - good recommend!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » April 4th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Ben wrote:Mine has a lenticular cover...yours come with that Wonder? If not, it might have been a limited first pressing deal. Still worth getting though - good recommend!
Yes, it did. :D
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 5th, 2006, 2:18 am

Ooo! I cannot wait for a Hercules special edition DVD. It's my all-time favorite Disney animated film, my favorite live action Disney film being Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

I have Hercules on DVD, but there aren't any behind-the-scenes features included on it. 2 words...Very very lame.

~~=oP

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 5th, 2006, 2:19 am

PixarVixen wrote:2 words...Very very lame.
Honey... That was 3 words =P
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 5th, 2006, 2:24 am

Ahh. Then apparently, you've never seen the movie. :P

~~=oP

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 5th, 2006, 2:26 am

No, I've seen it. Just a personal pet pieve (-2pts sp) - IMO I feel that joke is a tad over used.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2006, 8:28 am

Well, er, thanks for that guys...it's been a slice... ;)