Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 4:10 pm

Ben wrote:I give up... :(
Give up what?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2006, 4:42 pm

Give up asking you to cut back on the negativity.

Give up asking you to not keep quoting all the messages you reply to (especially when the reply is directly underneath that comment you are responding to, like the one above, funnily enough).

Give up telling you what I'm giving up, as I'm getting deeper into my own show and really don't have the time...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » April 23rd, 2006, 8:22 pm

Whatever competition MtR has, it will be nowhere near the competition Chicken Little had (HP4), and yet that managed to get about $130m. The Ninja Turtles, at least imo, are hasbeens. I highly doubt they'll prove to be big competition. Especially in CG, my guess is that movie will bomb. And right now, there are no major films in April, so I'm wondering where any competition would be.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 8:36 pm

askmike1 wrote:Whatever competition MtR has, it will be nowhere near the competition Chicken Little had (HP4), and yet that managed to get about $130m. The Ninja Turtles, at least imo, are hasbeens. I highly doubt they'll prove to be big competition. Especially in CG, my guess is that movie will bomb. And right now, there are no major films in April, so I'm wondering where any competition would be.
Scary Movie 4 and Silent Hill are major films in April right now plus, kids would see Ninja Turtles more than Meet the Robinsons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 23rd, 2006, 9:14 pm

kids would see Ninja Turtles more than Meet the Robinsons.
I doubt that. If anything, reviving Ninja Turtles, which hit it big about eighteen years ago, smacks of desperation. No disrespect meant but how creative can they get with this late-80's video-game-in-the-making, these Pizza lovin' guys are SO over the hill, I hate to tell you.

They already are at a disadvantage not having Disney marketing behind them, and even though I liked the Ninja Turtles live-action films (I and II) hate to say it but those guys are UGLY to look at. It kind of boggles the mind how they were ever popular in the first place. Meet the Robinsons has a fresh, colorful look that's much easier on the eyes. Plus they're kind of reminiscent of The Incredibles, another "Super Family."
Kids nowadays are not likely to remember the Ninja Turtles or even know what they are about. They are a very dated phenomenom.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 9:20 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
kids would see Ninja Turtles more than Meet the Robinsons.
I doubt that. If anything, reviving Ninja Turtles, which hit it big about eighteen years ago, smacks of desperation. No disrespect meant but how creative can they get with this late-80's video-game-in-the-making, these Pizza lovin' guys are SO over the hill, I hate to tell you.

They already are at a disadvantage not having Disney marketing behind them, and even though I liked the Ninja Turtles live-action films (I and II) hate to say it but those guys are UGLY to look at. It kind of boggles the mind how they were ever popular in the first place. Meet the Robinsons has a fresh, colorful look that's much easier on the eyes. Plus they're kind of reminiscent of The Incredibles, another "Super Family."
Kids nowadays are not likely to remember the Ninja Turtles or even know what they are about. They are a very dated phenomenom.
But I think the interest is already renewed thanks to the new cartoon and since the new TMNT film is going for the tone of the original film, the new film might be seen more than Meet the Robinsons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » April 23rd, 2006, 9:51 pm

Movie-Man wrote:Scary Movie 4 and Silent Hill are major films in April
This is April 2006, MtR comes out in 2007. Right now, the only major film scheduled for April 2007 is New Line's Mimzy, never heard of it? Neither has anyone else. The only other film sceduled right now for Spring 07 is Foodfight. 2007 is going to be a Summer/Winter year (with Summer Movies: Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Spider-man 3, Harry Potter 5, Evan Almighty, Ratatouille, Ocean 13 & Fantastic Four 2. Winter films: Bee Movie, Enchanted, Narnia 2). Indiana Jones 4 & Rush Hour 3 will also debut in either Summer or Winter. I mean, you easily have 2 candidates for $400m+, 3 more for $300m+ and a whole handful of $200m+ films in those two seasons. On the contrary, Spring is very empty. Out of all the major films in 2007, MTR has the least competition right now.
right now plus, kids would see Ninja Turtles more than Meet the Robinsons.
Tell me this, when is the last time you've seen a kid with a Ninja Turtles Lunchbox? When is the last time you heard a little boy say "Those Ninja Turtles are so cool"? The Ninja Turtles are has-beens & furthermore, they'll mostly attract young boys, wheras MTR will have a much larger demographic range.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 9:54 pm

askmike1 wrote:
Movie-Man wrote:
right now plus, kids would see Ninja Turtles more than Meet the Robinsons.
Tell me this, when is the last time you've seen a kid with a Ninja Turtles Lunchbox? When is the last time you heard a little boy say "Those Ninja Turtles are so cool"? The Ninja Turtles are has-beens & furthermore, they'll mostly attract young boys, wheras MTR will have a much larger demographic range.
But there is another drawback, the marketing, if the marketing for Meet the Robinsons is dumbed down like The Iron Giant then the film is already dead.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 23rd, 2006, 9:59 pm

But there is another drawback, the marketing, if the marketing for Meet the Robinsons is dumbed down like The Iron Giant then the film is already dead.

Yeah but the Iron Giant was Warner Bros, who everyone knows totally screwed up since they had a Brad Bird movie and did almost nothing to back it. Everyone knows what a mistake that was.

Meet the Robinsons is Disney and trust me, they will promote the heck out of it.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 10:01 pm

ShyViolet wrote:

Yeah but the Iron Giant was Warner Bros, who everyone knows totally screwed up since they had a Brad Bird movie and did almost nothing to back it. Everyone knows what a mistake that was.

Meet the Robinsons is Disney and trust me, they will promote the heck out of it.
But what if the marketing is dumbed down? Disney would make the film look like Chicken Little Part 2 and thus disgusting the audience plus it seems like people are losing interest in CGI animated films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 23rd, 2006, 10:11 pm

CGI took 2 of the top 4 grossing slots in 2004 and will likely score just as strong if not stronger this year. 2005 was a down year but was for the entire Box Office not to mention the fact there were no Pixar releases.

Disney doesn't do bad marketing. Their poorest marketing efforts vastly outdo the best marketing strategies of most other companies. This is why everyone wants them to distribute. ChikLit grossed about $130M. Variables are even for time of year opening, plus $15M for less competition, plus $10M for better box office conditions, and plus $5M for not being the company's first. Look for MtR to gross in the area of $150-170M... not spectacular, but not bad for an April movie.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 23rd, 2006, 10:14 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote:CGI took 2 of the top 4 grossing slots in 2004 and will likely score just as strong if not stronger this year. 2005 was a down year but was for the entire Box Office not to mention the fact there were no Pixar releases.

Disney doesn't do bad marketing. Their poorest marketing efforts vastly outdo the best marketing strategies of most other companies. This is why everyone wants them to distribute. ChikLit grossed about $130M. Variables are even for time of year opening, plus $15M for less competition, plus $10M for better box office conditions, and plus $5M for not being the company's first. Look for MtR to gross in the area of $150-170M... not spectacular, but not bad for an April movie.
Are you on crack? How will that film make that much money? In fact, how would you know it will get people's attention?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 23rd, 2006, 11:22 pm

No I'm on the bed. I just told you how. Do the math it adds up. 130 + 15 + 10 + 5 = 160 which falls in the 150-170 range. I'd say this is a very quality estimate looking at it comprared to other similar movies, especially Chicken Little which is the same group, same marketing, etc. Don't believe me? See for yourself. Come back to me in a year and we'll see how it's doing but I will bet it grosses $150M+.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 23rd, 2006, 11:28 pm

Personally, I think it will do even better. Incredibles wasn't considered a mammoth hit, just an O.K. hit, and it made like 200$ million (at least.)
MTR will certainly do as well as that. Madagascar did about 150 $ domestic, and they didn't have the advantage of the Disney name/marketing machine. MTR will do very, very well in my opinion.
JUST my opinion. :wink: