Gnomeo And Juliet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 22nd, 2009, 6:16 am

Are they still using Elton's songs for the basis of a musical. I'm actually excited about this one. Have been since it was announced when it was a Disney project. I was a little disappointed when Kate Winslet left he project. But I just hope it gets to see the light of day in Australia, I'm still waiting for Delgo and Coraline and Battle For Terra

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 22nd, 2009, 8:15 am

The film is still with Disney, under Miramax, being produced by Elton's film firm Rocket Pictures, so I have every reason to believe the film still very much revolves around his songs.

Rest assured, as a high profile Miramax Films release, this will at least get theatrical releases in all the major territories.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 22nd, 2009, 10:44 am

"High profile Miramax"??
Uh, we are talking about the Doogal/Hoodwinked/Arthur/Pinocchio Miramax that just snaps up anybody else's foreign-indie productions, slaps a one-week name-redub cast on it, and leeches off the stateside release?

(Which, since it'd fallen back into Bernie Taupin's production company, now qualifies this one as an "indie" for 'Max to scavenge--
That's weird, hadn't heard anybody talk about thinking that MMax "made their own animated movies" since, well, Doogal taught us all otherwise...Thought "Ella Enchanted" long since scared them out of the original-production business since the 00's.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » May 22nd, 2009, 2:41 pm

I wondered what happened to Gnomeo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 23rd, 2009, 8:49 am

Probably back on the drawing board, which is a shame because I think my nephew wouldve loved this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 23rd, 2009, 12:10 pm

Meh....Thought lawn-gnome jokes died off with the Expedia commercials anyway, since we knew those were only ripping off "Amelie" in the first place. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 24th, 2009, 2:07 pm

The Canadian Press has the latest on Gnomeo. (In a way, the piece is an announcement for an announcement. :) ) Apparently, Gnomeo will feature classic and new songs from Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 25th, 2009, 11:07 am

EricJ wrote:"High profile Miramax"??
Uh, we are talking about the Doogal/Hoodwinked/Arthur/Pinocchio Miramax that just snaps up anybody else's foreign-indie productions, slaps a one-week name-redub cast on it, and leeches off the stateside release?
No. Because that would be the totally separate Weinstein Company.

Nice to see you're hot on the facts again, Eric.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 25th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Looks like Miramax is doin this, looks like we might see this around 2011 if production goes well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2009, 10:10 am

Yah.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 20th, 2010, 3:58 am

So has anyone seen the teaser trailer. Apparently there was one in front of Alpha And Omega. Unfortunately it seems that YouTube is not allowing the trailer to be posted at the moment.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2010, 11:33 am

I thought we had a thread open for G&J, but after a search I guess not!

So, this has been renamed to be our official G&J thread. The latest news is that it was among the films amongst the Miramax sale Disney is offloading, but that they will still act as a distributor for the new company. So, despite their funding of the movie so far, it's now not a Disney film, as per John Lasseter's wishes, and now won't appear to even come from a division of the Mouse House, supposedly.

If anyone has a trailer link, we'd all love to see... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2010, 1:23 pm

And...the trailer is up:

http://animatedviews.com/2010/gnomeo-ju ... ow-online/

Very, very strange, though: despite talk that this originally Miramax production was not going to be "saved" by Disney and kept back from the slate of films being sold to the consortium group buying Miramax from them, it seems there's more to G&J than meets the eye, since "Miramax" is nowhere to be seen and this is very much a Touchstone Pictures release.

Has Disney had second thoughts? The last we knew, G&J was to have been in the sale of the company and its current slate of releases. Maybe the money they've spent on it is more than they were willing to let go? Maybe Elton John leaned on them a little?

And the result?

Well you can't tell a lot by a trailer sometimes, but this doesn't look like it's going to be too risque or in danger of soling the Disney brand. In fact, it looks to be one of the more fun pictures to come from the studio, even if they didn't actually animate it. I can't see - from this evidence at least - why Lasseter wouldn't want to release it as a Disney film, apart from perhaps being envious of a decent movie coming out under his watch which was to all intents and purposes initiated by the last regime.

It actually looks like a bit of fluffy fun, and I'm glad Disney are keeping it - if they are - even as a Touchstone release. I could do without the constant stopping of the music through the trailer (I counted three or four times, which is three or four times too many) but it looks ultimately quite sweet, and no fart gag in sight (or sound)!

I'm still unsure of the reasons this got made and how it is being released, but it looks like Disney may well have a good little opening for what looks like it could be a fun little movie. Now watch and wait...we'll now start seeing some more clips that ruin that atmosphere and we see what really lurks beneath, but on the basis of this teaser, I'm well up for Gnomeo & Juliet (great logo too, creating a little gnome from the title names).

Could be fun! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Gnomeo And Juliet

Post by Dacey » September 21st, 2010, 2:07 pm

Gonna be honest here and say that the trailer did basically nothing for me.

But maybe I'm just in a bad mood today. ;) In any case, the animation is at least reasonably nice.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2010, 2:36 pm

Let me clarify that I'm not suggesting this should be presented as the next best thing to Pixar or anything.

But, given the stories and what perhaps I was at least expecting, it could have been a lot, lot worse! As it is, it seems light and breezy fun, which is something that we don't seem to get a lot of in CG films nowadays. So that's where my appreciation was coming from and, yep, the animation is also much better than I was anticipating. I even like how the eyes are painted on with the texture of the gnomes: they haven't tried to make it look all real and such. Put it this way, I'm interested in seeing more...