Dream On Silly Dreamer

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Dream On Silly Dreamer

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2004, 12:45 am

I read on the General Discussions forum at Animation Nation that there is a new documentary produced called: "Dream On, Silly Dreamer." It documents the events, emotions, and reactions of the many, many hand-drawn artists who were fired from WDFA over the past few years. It is along the lines of "The Sweatbox" in its damning quality to the execs/system at Disney (animation-wise anyway).

It isn't exactly a protest film but more of a tribute to the great legacy of classic animation at Disney and how happy they were to have at least been a part of that. It is a tribute to "the good times" and remembering what was lost....I think it sounds awesome! :) I don't know where or when it will be available but I"m sure more info on it will come out. It sounds really cool but at the same time it does make you very sad. :cry:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2004, 12:56 pm

Take a look at their site:
http://www.dreamonsillydreamer.com/

Didn't we post about this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

dream on

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2004, 3:48 pm

I guess I didn't see it. :oops:

I was very impressed with the trailer for it...it reminded me of "Roger and Me," the Disney version.

I LOVED the little animated vignettes.

It's really sad, however. It makes you think a lot. I hope it gets a lot of exposure. It is REALLY damning to the company.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 28th, 2004, 5:29 pm

I didn't see it either!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

WDFA Documentary

Post by CoryMitchell » November 29th, 2004, 10:27 am

Jim Hill has an awesome article today that covers a number of topics, but most interesting is the documentary "Dream On Silly Dreamer" about the end of hand drawn animation at WDFA.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles ... hp?ID=1198

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 29th, 2004, 10:38 am

I hope that movie will outgross Chicken Little at the Box Office.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 29th, 2004, 10:55 am

I've combined the threads "New documentary" and "WDFA documentary" into one thread.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

movie

Post by ShyViolet » November 29th, 2004, 8:59 pm

I am VERY excited about this. Maybe it'll be bigger than F: 9-11! (not to compare the events as that similar, just box-office performance and popularity) Certainly it will shed some EXPOSURE of what has been happening to the company. It kind of has a Moore-ish feel to it, which serves the subject matter well.

You never know--maybe this'll be it--that one big, important spark that affects some real change. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: movie

Post by James » November 29th, 2004, 9:25 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I am VERY excited about this. Maybe it'll be bigger than F: 9-11! (not to compare the events as that similar, just box-office performance and popularity) Certainly it will shed some EXPOSURE of what has been happening to the company. It kind of has a Moore-ish feel to it, which serves the subject matter well.

You never know--maybe this'll be it--that one big, important spark that affects some real change. :wink:
Just like F9/11 accomplished the real change that Moore set out for it! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

documentary

Post by ShyViolet » November 29th, 2004, 9:53 pm

Hopefully the producers of Dreamer will have more luck than Moore did.
:roll:

I would be very afraid if I were Disney. :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 29th, 2004, 11:11 pm

Maybe if Fahrenheit 9/11 had not twisted so much of the truth, it would have accomplished its goal. Moore would be taken much more seriously, if he would only quit putting fallacies and misconceptions in his documentaries. I mean, I am sure that anyone wanting to make an anti-Bush film could find plenty of dirt on Bush, without having to make some up. I do not like to disrespect the President, but I am just being honest.

Anyway, I am lookng forward to Dream On Silly Dreamer. However, I am not sure how much it will accomplish. After all, I am suspecting that the main people the film will be going after will be out of office in a year or two. For instance, Eisner is leaving, and Stainton's job-security is looking a little worse almost every day. Still, no matter how much the film accomplishes, I am looking forward to it and think it will be a good, informative documentary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

documentary

Post by ShyViolet » November 29th, 2004, 11:38 pm

Tom Schumacker is still there, in the theater department. (they're supposed to be producing the stage versions of "The Little Mermaid" and "Mary Poppins") How will he look after the film's presentation of "The Tom Meeting" which will show the fresh reactions of animators who were just told (by him) that they are no longer needed?? (I think it was in 2002).

I think Emperor's New Groove was kind of like a protest film because Kuzco's repressive kingdom kind of reminds you of Disney. I really think Kronk looked like TS.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 29th, 2004, 11:49 pm

That's a very interesting interpretation...

I've been told that the film was basically the result of a bunch of rewrites of poorly realized ideas, resolting in a "quick! this film is in danger of being a stink bomb...so let's make it a gag-reel" movie.

But, i think i like your version better. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Kuzco

Post by ShyViolet » November 30th, 2004, 12:00 am

Thanks! :wink: That whole thing with "I'm sorry, but you've thrown off the Emperor's groove" and all those nasty guards/repressive regime thing kind of got me thinking. I mean, what other dictatorship could they have modeled it on??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 30th, 2004, 12:03 am

This is very true...never really thought of it that way.

by the way...i'm in the chat room... :D

which reminds me...why don't we organize a group chat sometime? Or am i just being lame? :wink: