The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Banned
Banned

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Post by Movie-Man » April 20th, 2006, 1:25 am

Does anyone think that Disney should for once try soemthing different with their animation like an animated Horror film, personally I think so, I see no harm in that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 20th, 2006, 7:36 am

Didn't we get a Disney horror film with Hunchback 2: Quasi Boogaloo? ;)

Actually, without he gargoyles, the original Hunchback was getting there, and animation in general was heading towards darker, more epic and mature themes until bright and blubbly CGI came along with their buddy-buddy comedies.

The closest thing I think you're getting at would have been one project that I was very much looking forward to: ILM's Frankenstein, which was being produced in league with Universal. If you've ever seen the tests, it is astounding work, with a version of Karloff's Monster walking around the castle as the lightning flashes outside - awesome.

Unfortunately, Universal pulled the plug due to costs and due to Sommers wanting to use the classic Universal Horror characters for Van Helsing (oh dear)...

Looking at the bigger picture, Beauty And The Beast is very much a gothic horror for all ages, while Atlantis could be seen as being in the supernatural horror genre.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 20th, 2006, 8:41 am

Ben wrote:Didn't we get a Disney horror film with Hunchback 2: Quasi Boogaloo? ;)
Oh snap!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 20th, 2006, 10:03 am

Even though many people aren't very excited about, "Monster House" does look *kinda* like a horror film. Then again, it's not being produced by Disney, so why am I even posting this? :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 20th, 2006, 10:51 am

I'm excited about "Monster House". It looks like it'll be a fun movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 20th, 2006, 10:53 am

Ben wrote:Didn't we get a Disney horror film with Hunchback 2: Quasi Boogaloo? ;)

Actually, without he gargoyles, the original Hunchback was getting there, and animation in general was heading towards darker, more epic and mature themes until bright and blubbly CGI came along with their buddy-buddy comedies.
LOL - I was mentally playing Hellfire and watching Claude Frollo burn in my mind as I read your post about animation getting darker, then suddenly as you came to "bubbly CGI" and its "buddy-buddy comedies" there was a quick but smooth transition as Buzz Lightyear stepped into my imagination and "You've Got a Friend in me" began to play.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 20th, 2006, 12:46 pm

I think originally Hunchback of Notre Dame was going to be even darker, so it might have truly been a "horror" film. Not everyone approved of that direction, however. Which I guess was why they added those Gargoyle buddies.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 20th, 2006, 1:02 pm

But Horror, I mean like people being dead, gore, maniac killers or something supernatural and it should be R-Rated :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 20th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Eh, horror stuff is scarier in live-action, I guess. (BTW, isn't someone making a CGI horror flick?)

Although this is a nice little spook -

http://www.biteycastle.com/taken.htm

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 20th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Meg wrote:Eh, horror stuff is scarier in live-action, I guess. (BTW, isn't someone making a CGI horror flick?)

Although this is a nice little spook -

http://www.biteycastle.com/taken.htm
But an animated Horror film could be a great idea depending on what the idea is, for my idea it'd be my take on the scariest thing is what you don't see.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 20th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Before I get married, I need to see an R-rated horror movie.

But I get scared enough by the ones without the gore (I screamed outloud during "When a Stranger Calls". Not lying). :shock:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 20th, 2006, 3:51 pm

I don't watch R-rated movies either...Scary movies just aren't my style. I'll see a g-rated animated kids movie over a disgustingly horrifying fill any day! :)

(And don’t feel bad about “When a Stranger Calls”, I had to sleep with the lights on after watching “The Poltergeist”…:roll:)

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 20th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Meg wrote:I don't watch R-rated movies either...Scary movies just aren't my style. I'll see a g-rated animated kids movie over a disgustingly horrifying fill any day! :)

(And don’t feel bad about “When a Stranger Calls”, I had to sleep with the lights on after watching “The Poltergeist”…:roll:)
But what if it's an animated R-rated Horror film? For me, I say "Hell yeah!".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 20th, 2006, 5:16 pm

I was impressed by "Saw" recently. I may look into the sequel on that one.

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 20th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Ben wrote:I was impressed by "Saw" recently. I may look into the sequel on that one.
What does that have to do with an animated Horror film?