Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 21st, 2009, 8:34 pm

Star Trek: The Original Series Season 3 hits Blu ray on December 15th.

One of the big extras is (according to the Digital Bits) "the restored and unaired Where No Fan Has Gone Before alternate pilot episode".

This is the version of the second pilot film (my favorite Star Trek pilot, period, and one of my favorite episodes, too) that won a production order for Star Trek. It differs from the version everyone's seen on TV and the past official video releases with a slightly longer running time and different music in a place or two. When Star Trek began airing on TV, it was not run in production order and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" aired third in the series (I think). A few scenes were trimmed and music was altered.

This version of WNMHGB has only been sold in bootleg videotapes and has frequently turned up on YouTube. Again, the Blu ray release is the first official release of the original edit of this pilot episode!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek"

Post by ShyViolet » November 25th, 2011, 5:02 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 4th, 2011, 10:32 am

The big rumour on the internet right now is that Benico Del Toro is gonna play a new version of Khan in the sequel. As a die-hard Trekkie, I know for a fact that thats messing up the continuity (Kirk meets him later in the second season of the original series, not in the begging of the Enterprises adventures) but hey, in J.J. we trust. I'm still uber excited! :mrgreen:
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 4th, 2011, 2:06 pm

It's actually not so much of a stretch when one considers that almost four years will have elapsed between the first movie and the second, by the time the sequel sees release. :wink:

Still, I don't see why Khan should be introduced in this new film series, at all. The revenge aspect of The Wrath of Khan made for a great Trek film, 15 years after "Space Seed" .. but it isn't as though Khan was considered much of an 'arch-nemesis' for Kirk before that movie; he was just in one episode -- among 78 others. :roll:

I'd rather see 'all-new' stories featuring these characters (surely, there would've been plenty of stuff that happened 'in-between' the classic episodes). :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 4th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Yeah I'd rather see a anew baddie too. I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Nero in Star Trek, so I'd rather they create a character than remake a classic one . :?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2011, 5:55 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:The big rumour on the internet right now is that Benico Del Toro is gonna play a new version of Khan in the sequel. As a die-hard Trekkie, I know for a fact that thats messing up the continuity (Kirk meets him later in the second season of the original series, not in the begging of the Enterprises adventures) but hey, in J.J. we trust. I'm still uber excited! :mrgreen:
I heard the same thing, but according to Ain't It Cool it won't be Del Toro:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52160

(some language in comments)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 4th, 2011, 6:12 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:The big rumour on the internet right now is that Benico Del Toro is gonna play a new version of Khan in the sequel. As a die-hard Trekkie, I know for a fact that thats messing up the continuity (Kirk meets him later in the second season of the original series, not in the begging of the Enterprises adventures) but hey, in J.J. we trust. I'm still uber excited! :mrgreen:

You do understand that Abrams' revamp is a different continuity and NOT the same universe as the original 1960s Star Trek TV series????

There's absolutely no reason for the new movie series to follow the timeline/continuity of the original series because it's set in an alternate reality!

In the original series, Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise when he was 29/30 years of age. In the 2009 film, the alternate reality Kirk took over as acting Captain (later formally promoted) at the age of 25.

Huge, huge differences. Do NOT mistake the 2009 revamp with what came before.
They're different beasts altogether...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 4th, 2011, 6:45 pm

I'll be honest, trying to make sense of Star Trek continuity (or any famous sci fi continuity at that!) is darn near impossible. At this point I'm just trying to understand wha I can! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2011, 7:30 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2013, 1:05 pm

A few weeks old, but worth a look. The choice of clips used here is VERY good....

http://youtu.be/7iHG_4mtUSQ

Also, there will be a new TV spot for Star Trek during the Super Bowl next week.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 1st, 2013, 9:04 pm

Saw the trailer with Croods today...I don't know...it still seems way more like Top Gun than Trek. Not to sound like a rabid Trekker or anything, but my biggest problem with the first one was that the idealistic feel of the Federation is nowhere to be found; instead we have the super-slick, arrogant feel of Starship Troopers, complete with model perfect trainees who just want to have a good time, not explore strange new worlds and seek out new
civilizations. To me that just isn't Star Trek. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » April 1st, 2013, 9:57 pm

I have to agree. While fun and enjoyable, the new Trek isn't Trek for the reasons ShyViolet mentions. That was evident in the first movie and looks like it continues with the second. Maybe more Trekiness would have turned off possible new fans but I would like to see more Trek in Trek. I do hope Star Trek Into Darkness is successful enough to warrant a third go with someone else at the helm now that Abrams is going into Star Wars, a franchise I think he may be more suited for.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 7th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Eight new stills: (a couple of spoilers.)

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/eight-new- ... ss-stills/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2013, 11:16 am

New poster (plus one for The Wolverine)

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-posters-th ... ling-ring/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 13th, 2013, 9:42 pm