Silent Hill

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Silent Hill

Post by Macaluso » April 26th, 2006, 3:40 pm

I know this place is pretty much animated stuff, but I figured some of you must have seen this movie. Because I thought it was awesome, despite the flaws.

I liked this movie a lot.

I've never played the games, so I dunno how well it mimics the games, but this is the first movie based on a game where it actually FEELS like it's based on a game. Everything down to the general atmosphere of the movie, to the camera angles, to the music. The camera angles and general cinematography of it all was very good. And the music was awesome.

I understood most of the story. The ending was the only thing that confused me. I'm guessing that it's just meant for interpretation, and if so cool. But I still kinda would have liked an explination as to wtf. So no. You don't have to play the games to understand the movie.

This movie was not very gory except for only a few parts. And it really wasn't scary. It was definitally creepy as hell and very much a thriller, but it wasn't jump out of your seat scary. It really felt more like an action/thriller, and I thought that was really neat.

All the actors were good (I also thought Rose was pretty cute), but the damn cop was an awful actor.

There were some parts of the movie where I joked with my friend.
For instance, when Rose goes through that door at the end, she's blasted with light. I immediatly said "KINGDOM HEARTS!"
And damned if I didn't say "Crazy b***h" more than a few times.

I thought for sure, all the monsters were CGI. But it turned out, that aside from one or two monsters (the beetles, and zombie baby creatures), all the weird creatures were actors. The make up department and actors that were in the costumes were spectacular. Though I wish they would have given Pyramid Head a bit more screen time, they didn't over use him which was nice. Because he was pretty much only there for fanservice of the games, but I can assure you. Any time he WAS on screen, he had the most powerful presence.

Oh, and the climax of the film is NOT for the faint of heart. Fair warning. it's rather gruesome.

Overall, I thought this movie was awesome. Not perfect, but I'm not a real movie critic, so I don't expect perfection.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 27th, 2006, 10:04 pm

I just got back from watching this and I must say that while it wasn't what I was expecting, I did enjoy it quite a bit. The atmosphere was appropriately creepy and the music (which allegedly was lifted straight from the game) was very good. Too bad they didn't issue a soundtrack. Given the way the film ended, you'd think there wouldn't be room for a sequel, but each one of the games has different characters and a different storyline so if this one does well enough, a sequel is possible. We'll just have to wait and see.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 27th, 2006, 10:15 pm

There is definitally room for a sequel. The only thing I'm wondering is how they are going to work Pyramid Head into Silent Hill 2 if they ever make it, because he was apparently very important to the story of the second game.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 28th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Well, in the movie, Pyramid Head was just a vicious monster. If he actually has a backstory, then the sequel can work it in somehow. At least, that's what I would do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 28th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Well Pyramid Head
is supposed to represent James' sexual frustration with his new woman.
But in this movie
his representation isn't very clear. Many think he represents the rape of Alessa by the janitor, which goes in with the whole sexual thing. He's got a big phalic object on his head as well as that huge blade. He walks with his waist thrusted out all the time. And it's even more exemplified by the fact that he tears the woman's clothes and then skin off of her. Others say he represents the fire, which makes a lot of sense. He's an unmoving unstoppable force of distruction. You can avoid him, but you cannot just stop him. The beetles around him go eveywhere around him much like fire. I want the creator to give people an awnser as to what Pyramid Head represents in this movie.