Flushed Away

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 15th, 2006, 10:15 pm

I guess so. I hope it ain't over yet!! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 15th, 2006, 10:55 pm

When summarizing that editorial for the front page, I tried to make it clear that the article was simply considering, not reporting, a split between Aardman and DreamWorks. Sorry about any confusion there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 15th, 2006, 10:57 pm

No prob! I also didn't read carefully enough. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2006, 5:14 am

Hmmm.....this doesn't sound promising at all. :(

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ushed.html

What's REALLY funny, however, is that a certain article, not sure who the source was since it was linked from somewhere else, actually stated that a major reason why Aardman went CGI for flushed away was becuase of the fire at their studio. :roll: :roll:

Oh brother! How could they be that ignorant for crying out loud, what would the fire that only destoryed models from PREVIOUS films have to do with the progress of Flushed Away, which was what, a year away from releasing the film? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2006, 7:21 am

More here:
DreamWorks Ani isn't so flush
By Carl DiOrio, Hollywood Reporter, Nov 16, 2006

DreamWorks Animation formally acknowledged the likelihood of a substantial earnings write-down on "Flushed Away," with the unfortunately titled animated feature underperforming since its Nov. 3 boxoffice bow.

Officials didn't estimate the amount of the write-down, disclosed with an unrelated announcement of plans for a secondary offering of $330 million in stock controlled by investor Paul Allen. But Merrill Lynch analyst Jessica Reif Cohen suggested the write-down will run north of $50 million.

Such a fourth-quarter write-down would shave earnings by 20 cents-40 cents per share, she said.

DWA said the Glendale, Calif.-based company won't receive any funds from the proposed sale of 11.6 million Allen shares. But key insiders Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen have agreed to purchase $10 million of the shares, DWA said.

The secondary offering has been widely expected ever since Allen signaled his intent to cash out of at least some of his DWA holdings.

In a research report, Reif Cohen maintained a "buy" rating on the stock and said the sale will remove an obstacle to share liquidity. DWA shares fell 13 cents Tuesday to close at $28.21.

"Flushed" has grossed about $40.5 million since opening, with film costs estimated at $143 million.

In a recent conference call, DWA CEO Katzenberg said the company regularly reviews its relationship with "Flushed" producer Aardman Animations. But he stopped short of saying whether the studio would again partner with the animator on a feature film.

A previous Aardman film, "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit," also underperformed for DreamWorks. And Katzenberg noted that DWA has the right to bail from its five-picture deal with Aardman at any time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2006, 8:16 am

I really think they are going to bail.

I bet everyone out there is going to jump on DW for doing this, aren't they? :?

I hope we don't get a "Disney lost Pixar and they are the devil!" 2004-like type of reaction.... :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 16th, 2006, 10:01 am

"Flushed" has grossed about $40.5 million since opening, with film costs estimated at $143 million.
Now where are they getting those numbers?

$143 million? I seriously doubt that they actually spent that much on this movie.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 16th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Yeah, 143 Million, that's way too much.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 16th, 2006, 5:22 pm

That would be like flushing money away!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2006, 7:08 am

That's counting everything in. $80-100m on the making, plus prints and advertising. I can see that number easily.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 17th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Ah, I get it now.

It should make more than that once worldwide grosses come in.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2006, 8:45 am

Plus DVD sales. But they might need a scapegoat at the box office provides this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 19th, 2006, 10:45 am

In a recent conference call, DWA CEO Katzenberg said the company regularly reviews its relationship with "Flushed" producer Aardman Animations. But he stopped short of saying whether the studio would again partner with the animator on a feature film.

A previous Aardman film, "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit," also underperformed for DreamWorks. And Katzenberg noted that DWA has the right to bail from its five-picture deal with Aardman at any time.
I think he also said that they would wait to see how Flushed Away does and then "reasess" the relationship.

I really hope they don't break up. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 19th, 2006, 11:40 am

Aardman is too good for DreamWorks to let them go. I'm keeping my hopes up until this is confirmed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 20th, 2006, 11:54 am

Saw it last night! :) It was adorable. I really loved this film, I will so buy it on DVD, it was so cute and funny....:wink: It looked so real too, in that it looked like clay and cloth and you could just touch it if you wanted to. :wink:

BTW, to me, it felt MUCH more like a DW film than an Aardman film. How? The pace, the characters, the story, the jokes, everything. I can kind of see how Aardman was mad at DW though, because essentially it IS a DW film.
Also according to the Animation Guild Blog it was largely animated by DW AND one of the directors is a DW guy! (although he used to work for Aardman.)

I don't think it's really about BO grosses, I think it's about discovering the "collaberation" is very difficult when the sensiblities are so different and the HUMOR is so different. Maybe this was an Aardman film once, but DW essentially took it over. Hence the "creative differences". :roll:

Plus now I finally know where your avatar is from WJ! :D

(although I figured it was from Flushed Away.)