Hide and Seek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Hide and Seek DVD to have four(!) alternate endings

Post by mr. squarepants » April 19th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Does anyone else find it kind of ridiculous that the Robert DeNiro thriller Hide and Seek will have four alternate endings on its DVD? I mean, one alternate ending isn't too bad. But four? Couldn't they just think of one good one and leave it at that?

Link: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0 ... &n=1&burl=

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 19th, 2005, 11:09 pm

Well, they may have filmed four separate endings before deciding on one. Maybe.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » April 20th, 2005, 12:37 am

True. But I think that when it comes to movies with endings that could make or break them, the ending should be the first thing decided upon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 20th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Yes, but wasn't it the point of Hide And Seek that it had a twist?

I haven't seen it, but sometimes if there is a twist ending and they don't want people to leak it, they shoot multiple endings.

Same thing happened with The Black Hole and even the first season of 24 had two endings shot.

Often its not because the writers can't come up with a "good" idea, but to confuse the crew and audience until the final choice is selected and presented in the release print.

Apart from that, I'm going to move this thread to General Discussions, since it is not animtion related. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » April 20th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Hmmm... good point, Ben. I should have thought of that.

As for moving my post, that's fine. I understand. I just didn't know where to post the my topic, since the 'Home Video' section also has threads about Jaws, Ghosts of the Abyss, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Dune... It's kind of confusing. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 20th, 2005, 5:46 pm

Okay, I may well have to look at the other video posts then!

I guess I "pounced" on this one as it was more of an adult/shocker/horror flick that seemed more out of place than those fantasy/sci-fi/fx films mentioned above.

I'll take a look! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Hide and Seek

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

Not really animation related I know (unless you count De Niro since he was in Shark Tale) but has anyone seen this film? Saw it a few days ago. Dakota Fanning is in it too.

The plot is interesting at first, then drags out, then gets resolved in the dumbest, most conveniently annoying way. De Niro pretty much stinks here, (acting on autopilot all the way through) but Dakota is quite good, especially considering that the plot only makes sense once you understand the end. Seriously, she carries this movie and, like Roger Ebert wrote, upstages De Niro in every scene.

She does a wonderful job, tons better than in War of the Worlds--where she wasn't bad exactly, just playing an annoying, underwritten character that is so typical of recent Spielberg films.

Anyway, if you REALLY want to know what this film is about:

******SPOILER!!!*****
De Niro is a pscyhologist living alone with his daughter in a new house after his wife commited suicide for unexplained reasons. The daughter was severly traumatized by this and starts acting very strangely, writing weird messages on the walls saying things like "You let her die," and so forth. De Niro starts to get involved with a female next door neighbor,
blah blah blah, long story short, weirder things happen and the little girl keeps saying that "Charlie did it," her imaginary friend....or is he? Then someone gets killed and is seems like Dakota is seriously disturbed and might have had a hand in it....

....but it turns out that Charlie did do it, since "Charlie" is the split personality of Robert De Niro, Robert De Niro killed his wife because she cheated on him and so he made it look like she slit her wrists, etc, etc...I warned you it was dumb. None of it adds up at all, the way it would in an M Knight film--it's just pure manipulation.

And if you want to see Robert De Niro overact hilariously overact as an "evil" villain, check out the last few scenes.

( There's also another mini-twist after the resolution that's EVEN DUMBER, if you can imagine. You really want to know?

Well, apparently, De Niro's madness is passed down to his daughter. End of movie.

LAME! :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!