Lady in the Water

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Lady in the Water

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2006, 9:06 pm

I think this film looks quite interesting....hopefully M. Knight will redeem himself! :) (The Village had positives too.)

I think this is his first non-Disney film.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 11th, 2006, 11:52 am

Yep. I can't wait to see it. I finally saw "Unbreakable" the other day, so I'm on complete M. Night (It's spelled with an 'N', Vi. ;) ) hype!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Actually, M Night's first non-Disney film would be 1992's "Praying With Anger", made by Crescent Moon.

He then joined Disney (under Miramax) on "Wide Awake" from '98, but hopped over to Sony/Columbia to co-write Rob Minkoff's "Stuart Little" in '99.

Since his Disney/Miramax/Touchstone success, Lady In The Water is his first film away, though after the disgraceful way he handled himself and the negotiations over this film (eventually taking it to WB), I hope it's the flop he needs to sit up and realise that he's a hack.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 11th, 2006, 12:41 pm

M. Night co-wrote "Stuart Little"?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Yeah. So much for his "spooky nature", huh?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Since his Disney/Miramax/Touchstone success, Lady In The Water is his first film away, though after the disgraceful way he handled himself and the negotiations over this film (eventually taking it to WB), I hope it's the flop he needs to sit up and realise that he's a hack.

Why, what did he do?

Also, why did he leave Disney?

I really like his movies but I do agree that he kind of relies on the same old "shock" formula every time, with the surprise endings and all.

I loved Signs and I sorta liked Unbreakable...I can see where you're coming from, however. The Village was interesting but definetely flawed in many ways.

Sixth Sense was pretty good but the whole (SPOILER)
Bruce Willis is a ghost thing is extremely illogical. I also find it very annoying that MNS and his crew brag about how they were able to fool the audience and give "rules and clues" about how you can tell Malcom is dead...because the "trick" shouldn't be that they "fooled" us, but that we cared in the first place. The movie should make thematic sense AS WELL as logical sense....and truth be told, it doesn't. Put it this way, in "A Beautiful Mind"*spoiler* it was basically the same idea, Nash is hallucinating all the time but we don't know it, and yet we believe it. And watching it a second time around, in a way we STILL believe it, because the interaction of Nash with his "friends" is consistent with his character as well as the movie's themes of madness and lonliness, of Nash's re-creating reality to suit his own purposes. With "The Sixth Sense," you're like: 'Oh O.K. he's a ghost," when you watch it again, because really, there's not much there beneath the surface level. It's mostly fancy tricks and slick filmmaking, not the complex narrative layering of "A Beautiful Mind."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 12th, 2006, 10:29 am

But were it not for the ending of "Sixth Sense", I doubt that people would still be talking about that movie today. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Well, I guessed 6th Sense early on, and the film fell apart for me.

6th Sense only shows you the scenes Bruce Willis is in. When you watch a film, you assume that the action takes place over a period of time, say like King Kong probably took place over one or two months (leaving New York, a couple of weeks boat ride, a few days on the island, couple of weeks getting Kong back, doing deals and hiring the theater, putting the show together, Kong's rampage etc)...

Now, we don't see half of all that, but we assume it happened. With 6th Sence IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. We simply skip from scene to scene, which doesn't work since what happens to Willis between those scenes? Nothing. He does naff all because of his situation. The film made money because a lot of people are "morons" (and no offence to those who were suckered in).

With Lady In The Water, Nina Jacobson at Disney didn't like the script and told MNS over dinner. She didn't like the same old formula that the ending used. She didn't like how he'd painted himself into the picture and how he wanted to be cast as the writer in the film.

He over reacted, threw a snit in the restaurant, ranted and raved, said how he felt betrayed by Disney and went very public with how retarded and up his own behind he is. Meanwhile, Disney offered to make the film for $10m less than he was asking for ($90m I believe) and that they would leave him alone to make it. He hated that deal too and has gone around bad mouthing Jacobson, Dick Cook and others who do not share his creative "vision".

The man, simply, is a nut job.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Well, someone told me the end of 6th ahead of time (I didn't think I was going to watch it) and I saw it after that anyway. So I don't know if I would have guessed it. :wink: (although looking at the camerawork and "hints" throughout the film, it actually seems pretty obvious.)

And The Village? I guessed that ending before I even saw the film! :)

Plus it's getting pretty dumb how MNS casts himself in every film...like "oh yeah I'm Hitch...ooooh how mysterious and big of me to act in my own movie...."(and he isn't even a very good actor! :roll: )

Even though I've enjoyed his films and admire them to an extent, MNS films are kinda like the poor man's Twilight Zone....
He over reacted, threw a snit in the restaurant, ranted and raved, said how he felt betrayed by Disney and went very public with how retarded and up his own behind he is. Meanwhile, Disney offered to make the film for $10m less than he was asking for ($90m I believe) and that they would leave him alone to make it. He hated that deal too and has gone around bad mouthing Jacobson, Dick Cook and others who do not share his creative "vision".

The man, simply, is a nut job.
Wow, Ben, you know so much neat stuff! :) :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 4:16 pm

This is kinda funny: :)

http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=village

(caution: for the language on some of his scripts)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Edit Room piece...I remember seeing that somewhere before.

They got it right!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2006, 11:15 am

Yeah...I posted the one for Star Wars before. :)

And check out his take on Revenge of the Sith:

http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script ... eofthesith

:P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2006, 11:33 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2006, 11:51 am

Reminds me of too many other things though, like Twin Peaks for starters...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 14th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Looks like he might be angling for a Harry Potter film now that he's working with WB.

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/177
http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/190