Horton Hears a Who

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I saw it today. Thought it was very good and surprising moving. But...
WHAT was with the Anime sequence? It felt COMPLETELY out of place and totally disturbed the flow of things.
*nods head in agreement*

My friends thought it was pretty funny but I think that joke is no longer funny. Maybe 10 years ago.
I like the idea that he was a hero in his imagination and a short sequence would have been appropriate but I think the joke the used didn't quite fit and it was a little bit too long.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 18th, 2008, 12:14 am

the anime sequence was hilarious

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 18th, 2008, 3:07 am

Anime sequence? Now I definitely have to see this!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 21st, 2008, 6:23 pm

So has anyone else seen it yet and is able to explain why they choose the Reo Speedwagon song for the ending?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 22nd, 2008, 12:44 am

because it's funny

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2008, 9:34 am

Because it's how they think all CGI animated comedies have to end.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 22nd, 2008, 12:42 pm

I guess but why that song? I mean its awesome but really had nothign to do with anything. ^.~

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2008, 4:27 pm

Lots more money in Horton's wallet:

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 22nd, 2008, 4:53 pm

Woot! Nice knowing I had a small, small part in it. ;)

Yup, saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot, and loved the visuals! Easily my favorite out of the three. It's not great, since of course they had to pad a lot to a short story, but it was very good. About that ending song... Yah, I didn't feel it. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 23rd, 2008, 3:41 am

I finally saw it ..

I love the 'visuals' of this movie. The art-direction, the design/color stylings, the models, the layouts and composition, the character & effects animation .. all of this was absolutely superb, gorgeous, and thoroughly in the spirit of the works of Dr. Seuss (with perhaps the sole exception being that 'anime' sequence mentioned above -- which, itself, was fun for what it was). Amazing stuff!

Unfortunately, nothing else about the film 'worked', IMO. :( All of the voice acting -- especially Jim Carrey -- felt completely wrong, and the story-telling was often decidedly 'non-Seussian' (for lack of a better term). Some of the added story material was promising (such as the Whoville mayor's son) .. but ultimately, served merely as 'filler' to pad a 60-page book into a 90-minute movie -- without really adding anything. Even the music was either unmemorable, or out-of-place; especially that .. song .. at the end.

I wish I felt differently. I wanted very much to like it. :?

At least, as I said, I do like the 'visuals' .. a lot! So here's a second movie I'll be watching on DVD with the sound turned 'off' (the first being Miramax's version of The Thief and the Cobbler).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2008, 9:13 am

I just re-watched the Chuck Jones edition for tomorrow's review, but I'm looking forward to seeing Blue Sky's attempt on Monday night.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 23rd, 2008, 10:19 am

I honestly felt this was BETTER than the chuck jones version.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 23rd, 2008, 10:20 am

A-V review of the film will be up tomorrow. Droosan stole one of my lines!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 24th, 2008, 10:56 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2008, 6:05 am

Darn it...didn't make it last night, so hopefully Wednesday evening for me.