Horton Hears a Who

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 25th, 2008, 11:06 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 26th, 2008, 12:42 am

LOL, Yep. I finally saw this tonight and I thought it was a wonderful, thoroughly charming movie. The animation was gorgeous and the writing was very funny. The actors played their parts well (especially Steve Carell as the Mayor) and I loved the climax. That was my main complaint about Shrek 3, it didn't have a proper climax, and I was glad that this film did not have that problem. As for the song at the end, it was a fairly odd choice but strangely enough, it works somehow. I really really hope they never try to do a sequel. The only sequel they could conceivably do would be "Horton Hatches the Egg" and I can't imagine that story being stretched to feature length. However, if they did it as a short, it would make a nifty bonus for the dvd of this one.

Did anyone besides me catch the reference to Thidwick? Very clever, I thought.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2008, 4:35 am

I've yet to see Horton (looks like tomorrow - Thursday - now), but from what I hear, they seemed to be able to pad this one out enough and it seems to me to be even slighter than Horton Hatches The Egg.

There's a lot they could do with that one - you could have a good ten minutes before Horton even meets the bird and the egg, and then there are the months he sits on it. The big thing, of course, is if they follow the same route as the Clampett version and have the whole circus thing being expanded upon. The sea trip, maybe an escape attempt from the circus, the egg finally hatching (maybe during a circus performance where Horton is trying to perform <I>and</I> watch the egg), and them finally being sent home (though maybe with a bit more passion or reason than in the book) - yep, a Horton Hatches The Egg could well be even more jam packed than this one.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 26th, 2008, 11:15 am

Man I really hope they DON'T make a sequel.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 26th, 2008, 11:19 am

"Horton Hatches the Egg" would at least be a lot better than "Green Eggs and Ham", that's for sure.

And to think that they're actually doing "Green Eggs and Ham" for real...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Wait, what?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 26th, 2008, 4:40 pm

I had no idea there was a sequel book to horton hears a who until a few days ago when I picked up Horton hatches the Egg and thought it was the original. ><
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2008, 5:17 pm

I thought Hatches The Egg WAS the first book. That came out in 1940, while Hears A Who was 54, I think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2008, 5:22 pm

I grew up with Horton Hatches the Egg, and didn't even realize there was another story featuring the character until I was older.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 26th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Ben wrote:I thought Hatches The Egg WAS the first book. That came out in 1940, while Hears A Who was 54, I think.
You're probably right. I grew up on the cartoon actually more so than the book . :oops:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 26th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Meg wrote:Wait, what?
"Green Eggs and Ham" was listed as Blue Sky's animated film for 2011 in a recent USA Today article.

I'll try to find the link if I can.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 26th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Are you sure they're doing it as a feature? Maybe they're doing it as a short, which I could totally see since the existing cartoon is somewhat bland.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Do we want "Green Eggs And Ham"?
I don't think so, Sam-I-Am
We don't want a feature, we don't want that plan
We just don't want "Green Eggs And Ham"!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 26th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Haha. :) I love the book, though. One of my favorites!

Btw, "Hatches the Egg" is the first Horton book. Considering I love this more then "Who!", I wouldn't mind a sequel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 27th, 2008, 12:25 am

It makes sense that horton hears a who wasn't the first book.

I think that a sequel or another Seuss movie wouldn't be so hard for them to do visually speaking since they have worked out a lot of the "Seuss style" I'm not sure if I think a whole Green Eggs and Ham movie would work that well. :l

Speaking of Green Eggs and Ham, has anyone gone to Ihop and tried any of their promotional meals or drinks that tie in with the movie? I'm curious if it's worth it to go out and eat there.