Surf's Up!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 20th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:Big Z isn't on the cover........ That's odd..
Heh, finally figured it out. I can be really slow sometimes.... :P
Z's supposed to be dead in the beginning, so if we saw him on the cover, that would totally spoil the plot

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2007, 5:55 am

Nice to see them using sense for a change! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Therese » January 26th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Finally saw this today (got the DVD with a gift card from Christmas) and really enjoyed it! Ratatouille still has my vote, but I am happy that Surf's Up got the 3rd Oscar slot (although I'd still like to have seen Robinsons in there, too).

The documentary style worked well, and Shia LeBoeuf (sp?) was very engaging right from the start (I'll admit, I laughed at the "singing and dancing" joke in the first scene). Good cast overall, and I enjoyed the whole surfing theme. Yeah, you kind of know where the story's going to go, but that's OK. This is a lot of fun, and I would certainly recommend it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 20th, 2008, 5:24 pm

If anyone is interested, the original score by Mychael Danna has FINALLY been released. I've been waiting for it since the I saw the movie, but doubted they were ever going to make the score available...I'm very happy about this! One blog I read even called it the best soundtrack of the year.

YES!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 21st, 2008, 3:53 pm

I'm going to have to look for that. The score from "Surf's Up!" was AWESOME!!! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 21st, 2008, 4:38 pm

Very cool; I'm definitely buying that. :)

Now, if only Disney could see their way clear to doing the same for Meet the Robinsons .. :idea:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2008, 8:54 pm

Cor...yeah!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I thought they did release the MTR score. I know I saw a soundtrack of some kind, was that not it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Yep, there was a CD with the source music and song tracks heard in the movie, but Danny Elfman's score was only heard in a handful of cues.

A crew-only release included the full expanded score as a "thank-you", which is what's being asked for here. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Surf's Up!

Post by Dacey » March 1st, 2016, 3:55 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 1st, 2016, 4:48 pm

Interesting. Very interesting.

As a resident wrestling fan, I'm intrigued that Undertaker and Vince McMahon are taking part. I find it humorous just how much they modeled the characters after the wrestlers.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 1st, 2016, 11:54 pm

I hate wrestling (no offense! ;) ), so I am disappointed whenever it is used to promote animation projects, like the Flintstones DTV movie. And Surf's Up was a great done-in-one gem of a film, so I'm sorry to see it getting a sequel. Strange, too, after all these years.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2016, 12:08 am

From the description I got while the WWE is co-financing the movie, the wrestlers are actually playing surfers. I don't expect any branding on this like that Flintstones thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 2nd, 2016, 2:02 am

Or the branded Scooby-Doo thing.

In fact, did a double-take at the article, saying, "Oh, there goes Warner on a roll for....no, wait, that's Sony!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2016, 5:02 am

Dacey...I did send you this news by email direct from Sony, plus another news item to post, so was hoping we could have had the story here rather than link out. :?: