Fave Star Trek film?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 1:16 pm

Yeah but don't you have to buy the 10-disc set of Star Trek films just to get the ones you want?

I really only like 2 and 6, and First Contact (8) a little bit.

I'm not much of a 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 fan....:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2007, 1:20 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 3:36 pm

Wow, I didn't know that!!! :)

Thanx Ben.

I'll keep an eye out for that. :wink:

BTW, in general--itunes is cool, but MUCH better in the music department.

Did you see some of those awful films they are trying to get people to buy??

They must think it's still the 1980's and that Kurt Russell is still a major star....:roll:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/movies.html

It cracks me up the way they make it look like all they have are new films by putting Incredibles, Cars and Pirates on the front.

That's NOT an accurate representation of their "film library" at all...:roll:

They have some cool independent films, short films etc...but MANY terrible ones....you have to download itunes first to really see this however. :roll:

BTW, even though itunes music has some very cool obscure stuff, they don't have everything:

I tried to find the Partnerz in Kryme rap version from the 1990 TMNT (no, not that awful Vanilla Ice one from Secret of the Ooze :roll:) on itunes....couldn't find it. And yet they have the Vanilla Ice one....:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2007, 9:36 pm

I recently learned that Nick Meyer also wrote or co-wrote Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home which came out in 1986.

Nimoy did a competent job directing, but I think it would have stood up much more to the test of time if Meyer had directed it instead. :?
(But Nimoy had it in his contract, as he would only come back as Spock if he could direct III and IV, etc....:roll: Oh well.)

Also, OMG, I can't believe THIS:

Meyer actually has a credit on Prince of Egypt for "additional screenplay material"!!!!!

:D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0583292/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2007, 11:57 pm

Also, I want to amend what I said earlier about Star Trek films on Itunes.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT, buy one of these travesties.

Apple has actually CUT them!!! :x

That's right, trimmed scenes, at least three or four from each film. I found out the hard way when I got Undiscovered Country. One of the best scenes--when
That Klingon assassin actually turns out to be a Federation guy in disguise
is NOT there. I still can't believe it....but then I checked reviews on Itunes for both VI (and others) and indeed yes, Apple has cut from Star Trek films. Have they done it to other movies? Quite probably.

I still can't believe this. I can't fathom why, unless it's truly some copyright thing and they want people to buy the actual DVD even after purchasing this. Or they want to fit it into a compact, easy-to-download memory file?

As far as films go, I'm never trusting Itunes ever again. :( Ever. This Apple is ROTTEN!! :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2007, 9:39 am

Well, we tried to warn you...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 1:52 pm

I know :( , and I certainly wasn't expecting the greatest quality or anything--just something quick and easy to download since I'm pretty limited with technical stuff. :?

I just assumed they'd actually have the films in their entirety is all....:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2007, 2:00 pm

Yes, that would have been thought to be a given.

But...why accept lower quality and non of the bonuses associated with a DVD when the DVD was going for the same, and in some cases lower, price!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 2:18 pm

Right, I know....it's just that I think all the stores near me only carry the whole Star Trek set and I only wanted II and VI. (plus I'm not that big on special features, for some movies yes, but not for every movie.)

I also sort of wanted them on my hard drive, (the DVDs I do have take up so much space) but I didn't know how to do it. It just seemed to be the thing to do, especially since I go to itunes for music so why not movies? :?

Oh well, I guess I learned my lesson...:wink:

(I was even thinking of downloading the odd Star Trek: TOS episodes as well, just my faves like The Enemy Within, etc....now I'm almost sure I won't. :?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2007, 1:31 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » June 7th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Well id have to say the Wrath of Kahn (KAAAAHN!! KAAAAAHN!!)
Then First Contact (bc i just love Captain Jean Luc Picard =)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2007, 12:40 am

Yay rebelrex!! Wrath of Kahn love!!! :D

I'm so torn between Kahn and Undiscovered Country. Both amazing films. Both directed by Nick Meyer. Both with amazing scores and awesome references to literature (Moby Dick in Kahn, Hamlet in Undiscovered Country)
Both with yes, pretty darn good performances from Shatner. :P :wink:
Undiscovered Country has an awesome script, but Kahn is just so....KINETIC.
I don't know how else to describe it. :)

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 9th, 2007, 1:25 am

Next Sunday, the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, California will show a 'double-feature' screening of Tron & Star Trek II (scroll to the bottom for info), as a celebration of the 25th anniversary of both films.

In-between the movies, there will be a panel discussion with Star Trek II director Nicholas Meyer, Tron director Stephen Lisberger, and Tron visual effects supervisors Harrison Ellenshaw & Richard Taylor ..

They'll also have a matinee screening of The Dark Crystal next Saturday, along with a discussion with screenwriter David Odell.

-----------------

Sadly, due to the work schedule on my current job (7-day weeks, ATM), I'll be unable to attend either screening. :(

But it's not all that tragic, since I've seen all three films in other, separate theatrical screenings over the past few years (The Dark Crystal at the Aero, Tron at the El Capitan, and Star Trek II at the Egyptian .. with Nicholas Meyer & Ricardo Montalban in attendance, no less) .. that's part of the 'perks' of living in the L.A. area. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2007, 11:38 am

Wow! :)

Memo to Ben: must speed up that move to La La Land. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Terminator 2: Judgement Day 2-disc DVD at Wal-Mart (Wide-Screen): $5.50

Terminator 2: Judgment Day film with no extras on Itunes: 9.99

Not getting screwed by Apple: Priceless. :D