Fave Star Trek film?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2007, 12:09 am

but I liked the overall spirit of Generations waaaay over Insurrection, which was pretty bad. They didn't explore any new themes there than they had in the series, and Frakes really should have given us a couple of really good central sequences, which just weren't there.

Some really dumb trivia, but did anyone here know that Bryan Singer (apparently a TOS and TNG Trekkie) has a cameo in Star Trek: Insurrection? :P :roll: :wink: He doesn't talk, you just see him in the background for a couple of seconds.

And I guess no news about the Trek prequel yet? :( Sounds like it's in development heck....:roll:

I'd LOVE it if Nick Meyer came back (Wrath of Kahn and Undiscovered Country)....does he still make movies? :)

Go Nick, go!!!!!!!!! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 28th, 2007, 1:21 am

ShyViolet wrote:And I guess no news about the Trek prequel yet? :( Sounds like it's in development heck....:roll:
Just the opposite! There have been several headlines about the film in the past few days. :) Here are the main ones:

"Abrams takes helm of Star Trek"
"Star Trek XI Coming Christmas Day 2008"
"Star Trek XI Casting Scoop!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 2:21 am

Thanks Josh. :wink: :oops: I also saw an article in Total Film about it recently. :)

Also, some have suggested Matt Damon as young Kirk. I personally love Matt Damon (as an actor! :) ) and think he'd be great.

(BTW I'd still rather have Nick Meyer than Abrams, but I guess you can't have everything. :?)

What do you guys think?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 5th, 2007, 3:21 am

I don't think Damon would say yes if he was offered the role.
Mainly because there still is the Star Trek is for "nerds" only stereotype.
I don't agree with that but do think a lot of fans are a little crazy in the head and take it to far in terms of what's "canon" to them or in terms of continuity between series.
Same with a lot of Star Wars fans.

For that matter, I don't think a prequel is such a good idea.
When a franchise ends up making prequels, its usually because they don't know what the hell to do with it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 5:03 am

I totally agree with your last statement Zwollie! :)

Some movies, like Godfather II, are good with prequel stuff since it makes more sense; there's so much you don't know about the Family that is important and interesting.

I still want to see Kirk in his Academy days, but really....and he doesn't meet Spock till he start on the Enterprise. So, you'd need to basically go back to the 60s series, re-imagine it or what? Everyone will be comparing the original guys (many of whom recently died) with the "new" actors....:?
Plus with real special FX this time, wouldn't it be betraying the spirit of the original?? I don't know....

I'd love to see Kahn again though!! :) I guess you'd need a younger actor, but....how can anyone but Ricardo Mantalban POSSIBLY be Kahn?? :shock:

"Kahhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnn!!!!!!"

:P :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 5th, 2007, 5:25 am

ShyViolet wrote: I still want to see Kirk in his Academy days, but really....and he doesn't meet Spock till he start on the Enterprise. So, you'd need to basically go back to the 60s series, re-imagine it or what? Everyone will be comparing the original guys (many of whom recently died) with the "new" actors....:?
Plus with real special FX this time, wouldn't it be betraying the spirit of the original?? I don't know....
They will have to modernise the original enterprise as well,
wich again will get a lot of fans angry, cause the diehard fans are hard to please.

Everything gets re-imagined or remade lately,
Have we got so little originality left that we have to keep depending on
old franchises?

Some work out really well ( Batman ) but a lot of them don't ( The pink panter )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 6:05 am

They will have to modernise the original enterprise as well,
I wonder how the transporter FX will change?? :)

Well, at least no more: "particles whirling in a glass of water..."

(Which they BARELY updated on TNG....:roll:)

Still, I did kinda like that "swirly sparkles" effect....:(

And how can anyone replace that classic "Beam me up, Scotty" whistling sound effect every time they beamed someone??

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2007, 7:44 am

Will we even see the Enterprise in this "first" film? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 9:41 am

I don't know, aren't they supposed to be in the Academy or something? :)
Sounds like I needn't get excited over the "enhanced" TOS, which is what I was expecting. Those shows look great on the current (but too expensive) DVDs and from what I have seen, the new additions don't really bring the shows "up to date" but merely have CGI mimicking the older effects.

ST:TOS was great for a reason in its day, and it should be remembered for what it was.
Yeah, that's why I'm not so sure about this re-vamp.....:?

Also, if Kirk's in the Academy, they have GOT to show him taking the "Kobiyashi Maru" test that he talked about in Star Trek II (gets me choked up just thinking about it. :()
Remember, he said he cheated, he invented a way out of the "no-win" scenario: "I don't believe in the no-win scenario...." Interesting if they show that scene in lieu of what happens later on.....

....although, if you think about it, that whole decision to bring Spock back (not Nick Meyer's wish) kind of negates the whole thing...:?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 18th, 2007, 10:52 am

Funny Star Trek: TNG bloopers!! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2007, 12:06 pm

On the "no-win" situation...that will only be referenced (and I agree it should) if the new kids on the block actually care about Trek lore and don't just say they do.

The next Trek sequel/reboot doesn't need to be a Superman Returns rehash, and <I>that</I> was supposed to come from someone who love that franchise!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 19th, 2007, 4:04 am

Bring back Nick Meyer! :cry:

On the "no-win" situation...that will only be referenced (and I agree it should) if the new kids on the block actually care about Trek lore and don't just say they do.

As someone in another long-running sci-fi series said: "I have a bad feeling about this." :? :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 20th, 2007, 2:26 pm

FYI, I guess many might know this but:

You can now download ALL the Star Trek movies from TMP to Nemesis on ITunes!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! :D (9.99 each)

2 and 6 are soooooooooo mine!!!!!!! :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2007, 9:18 am

What happens when your drive goes down or the file gets corrupt?

I'm sticking with my lovely DVDs with the extra features! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 21st, 2007, 11:18 am

Yeah, those 2-disc DVDs can be bought now for, like, 12 bucks or less anyways.