Post by Stego » December 16th, 2004, 10:48 pm

Wow! thanks for the info!

I'll have to put that lil DVD on my "wish list" :D

Those clips are hilarious too!

GeorgeC

New Iron Giant statue from DC Direct

Post by GeorgeC » April 16th, 2007, 9:10 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/july07/s ... tions.html

DC Direct is producing a new Iron Giant statue. Designed by Brad Bird, it features schematics of the Giant. It's basically a statue of the shoulders and head of the Giant holding Hogarth in one of his hands.

Not something I'd buy, but I know there are fans of this film here.

The statue retails for $150 at comic shops.

I believe many online retailers will sell it for AT LEAST 35% off so you'll probably be able to get it for around $105-$110 in the states not counting shipping. Best bets for preorders would be either TalesofWonder.com or DCBService.com ....

I'm surprised this statue hasn't been mentioned at any of the sites I read yet...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2007, 8:48 am

I couldn't find it at that link but it sure sounds nice!

Shame I don't really have the room to collect this kind of stuff. Most of my collectibles are limited to books and DVDs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 17th, 2007, 5:47 pm

I don't see it either. :?

But I MUST get it. The only Iron Giant items I own are the special edition DVD and the junior novelization.

I remember when a formerly local mall had a Warner Bros. store filled with Iron Giant merchandise, but that was while the movie was playing in theaters, before I knew who Brad Bird was and before I became a toy-collecting animation geek.

Sort of off-topic...The last comic book listed on the page GeorgeC linked us to features a character named Dashiell "Dash" Bad Horse. Heheheh.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 17th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Here's the info:
IRON GIANT STATUE
Based on the designs of Brad Bird
DC Direct reassembles the Iron Giant!
This multi-part statue is a limited-edition, hand-painted, cold-cast porcelain piece measuring approximately 4.5" tall x 10" wide x 4.75" deep for the main portion (Iron Giant head and shoulders), while the hand (with a miniature Hogarth attached) is a separate piece measuring 2.5" tall x 2" wide x 3" deep that can be positioned at any distance from the main piece. This impressive statue includes a blueprint of the Iron Giant with notes from creator Brad Bird and a 4-color certificate of authenticity and is packaged in a 4-color box. This limited edition statue requires minimal assembly and is manufactured to order
Advance-solicited; on sale December 5, 2007 • Statue • $150.00 US

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 17th, 2007, 7:47 pm

:D Killer!

December 5, eh? Darn. At least I have plenty of time to save up for it.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 17th, 2007, 10:53 pm

That's one fine looking statue!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » April 25th, 2007, 1:30 am

whens i gets mes some moneys i ams definitley gettings mes ones of those!
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Iron Giant

Post by Randall » June 21st, 2015, 11:02 am

Warner is releasing IG on Blu-ray in Spain in September. I hope that means a North American release soon too.

http://www.amazon.es/The-Iron-Giant-Blu ... 7YVPFBWXBL

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2015, 4:55 pm

Nice! Cool cover too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 1st, 2015, 4:53 am

I caught The Iron Giant "Signature Edition" at last night's Fathom Events screening. It was great to see the movie in a theater again! :mrgreen: The audience at the 10PM Burbank show was about 200 people; not bad for a movie ending after midnight on a weekday. :)

I was kinda dreading that the newly-added scenes would clash with / interrupt the flow of the original movie .. but I have to admit, the new footage blends incredibly well. :o

TBH, I do think I still prefer the movie in its 1999 cut, ju-u-ust ever-so-slightly .. but I can live with the "Signature Edition" being the only hi-def version available, if WBHV goes that route (and they probably will).

Other "Signature Edition" touches include tone mattes/shading in some scenes that didn't originally have them (probably for budgetary reasons) .. as well as a sweetened sound mix throughout the movie. A 'teaser' for a behind-the-scenes documentary (which will be included in full on the upcoming Blu-ray/DVD) followed the film.

Fathom Events will be screening the movie in theaters again on Sunday, October 4th, in many areas.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 1st, 2015, 9:06 am

Good to hear that the new version works. I love this film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2015, 1:35 pm

One question, Droo...without spoiling, did the new footage indeed contain the much talked about additional scene that Bird wanted to include but had to cut for budget reasons?

Can't wait to have this on Blu...Film 4 here in the UK have been running an HD print (of the theatrical cut) and it looks superb, even via compressed TV broadcasting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 2nd, 2015, 12:29 am

The added scenes are (slight spoilers DO follow)
<> a brief conversation between Annie and Dean in the diner, the day after the 'squirrel incident,' which serves to set-up their later romantic interplay.

The lead animators for Annie and Dean -- Wendy Purdue & Chris Sauve -- are the same two artists who'd worked on those characters in the original film, and lead designer Tony Fucile was consulted throughout the production of the added footage -- which is a big part of why this new scene 'looks and feels' exactly like the rest of the movie.

-------------------------------------------------

<> a sequence in which the Giant has a dream about his past while sleeping in the scrapyard. Dean is dozing off inside watching The Tonight Show with Jack Paar when images of the Giant's dream begin interrupting the broadcast.

Lead effects animator Michel Gagne reprises his role here to help realize this scene exactly as it might have appeared in 1999. While it is a really cool sequence .. IMHO, it slightly diminishes the 'surprise factor' of the Giant's later transformations, for first-time viewers who don't know what's to come.

-------------------------------------------------

<> a blink-and-you'd-miss-it reference to Tomorrowland, during the sequence in which the Giant's 'hand/dog' is running amok inside the Hughes' home.

This tiny addition is the one thing that probably wouldn't have made it into the finished film in 1999 (a direct reference to a Disney IP, in a Warner Bros movie?) .. but it's hard to begrudge Mr. Bird an opportunity to toot his own horn, a bit. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2015, 4:48 am

Cool...yes, the Giant's dream is the one I was referring to. It will be interesting to see how it plays into the film, especially given the later reveals, as you say. As such, I'm hoping the theatrical cut is also on the new Blu so that it preserves the surprise factor and the new version is more a treat for those that have already seen it, as it seems to be.

I look forward to spotting the Tomorrowland reference too (especially after Giant got a none too subtle couple of moments in that film!)...a little odd as you say, but I bet WB execs didn't even know what it was!