Disney Princess: Enchanted Tales

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 5th, 2007, 10:17 am

You're right Ben, and you would have to force me to watch this movie.
That said, I'm the kind of person who is really interested in seeing how close they get to theatrical quality in terms of visuals, animation, score, etc...
and in seeing evolution in DTV's from Past to present day.

I've only been suprised twice with a DTV:
Lion King 1.5 & Cinderella III.
Last edited by Jeroen on April 5th, 2007, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2007, 1:49 pm

Yes, I'll likely see it eventually, or even request to cover the review for us here, but you can tell from the preview that this is mid-ground DTV animation at work here (a la Mulan II) and sub-level TV producing going on (that means scrioting, songs, etc).

This is a step back in DTV's evolution, and I'll bet it was Japan and the TV crew who made this, not DisneyToon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2007, 8:46 pm

Well, like I said before, I'm not really exited for this anymore, just mildly anticipated.

You have to remember though, this is being geared toward the younger female crowd. Yes, that's no excuse for its somewhat inferior animation, but its definetly a step up from what Disney use to palm off as new princess cartoons. Years ago, they were cranking out something called, Princess Stories, which claimed new stories, but in reality, were old pasted up tv episodes of Jasmine/Ariel and two new read alongs. Now THAT was a rip off! This is at least real "new" cartoons.

With that in mind, the reason I'm looking forward to this so much, is pretty much what Z said. I want to see how it compares to the the original movies, how close the voices are to the originals (ie, Sleeping Beauty) and most of all, to just see old characters in new adventures.

Although, I do agree about Sleeping Beauty. From what I've seen, it looks very blah. Expicially when she's singing. :( Jasmine on the other hand, seems to be much better, in that it benifits from the original voices, and animation that's closer to the original film.

To each his own, I guess. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 12th, 2007, 4:27 am

For anyone who's interested, here's a new site, that should keep you well informed about everything Princess Enchanted Tales. http://www.freewebs.com/disneyprincessenchantedtales/

Great website, and all thanks to a UD member called, Disney Villain. -- And speaking of Ultimate Disney, DisneyFan, are you from their? I swear you sound familar!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Disneyfan » May 11th, 2007, 7:56 am

Daniel wrote:For anyone who's interested, here's a new site, that should keep you well informed about everything Princess Enchanted Tales. http://www.freewebs.com/disneyprincessenchantedtales/

Great website, and all thanks to a UD member called, Disney Villain. -- And speaking of Ultimate Disney, DisneyFan, are you from their? I swear you sound familar!
Yes I'm a member of UD, but I have another nickname.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2007, 4:31 pm

Aha, I knew it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 31st, 2007, 2:57 am

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... round.html
Disney's direct-to-video division has stopped work on more "Princess" featurettes, deciding they've got enough Princess inventory on the shelves to keep elementary school age girls happy.
Oh my. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2007, 4:39 am

You still got Fairies Dan... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 1st, 2007, 2:00 am

Big whoop! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 4:04 pm

Plus, you can never have too many princess films! :) Especially since this is DISNEY and there haven't even been that many princess films lately (theatrically). IMO the DTV's were their "holding place" until Disney snapped back to their senses and greenlit FG and Rupunzal.

We need more fairy tales, more princess films. We need as many as we can get IMHO!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2007, 5:48 pm

FG?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2007, 5:50 pm

Oh, sorry, I meant TFP!! :? Actually, The Princess and the Frog to be exact.

I have no idea why I wrote that....:roll: :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2007, 6:01 pm

Phew...though I was going nuts! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 5th, 2007, 1:33 am

ShyViolet wrote:IMO the DTV's were their "holding place" until Disney snapped back to their senses and greenlit FG and Rupunzal.
Rupunzal? J/t :P
ShyViolet wrote:We need more fairy tales, more princess films. We need as many as we can get IMHO!! :)
You go girl!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2007, 11:57 pm

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... rrill.aspx

Have you guys seen this yet?

Wow. :shock:

Sharon Morrill, head of DTV's for DisneyToon--fired.

Also, according to Jim, DisneyToons, as they've been saying for so long now, will definetely be taking a back seat. In otherwords: being completely phased out.

Hmmm.....:?

It's obvious that there were major clashes between her and Lassetter/Catmull. (Particularly with that Tinkerbell film.)

Still, I don't get it: Lassetter hates DTV's and yet re-shapes American Dog into a near carbon copy (at least plotwise) of one of them?? :? (In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Sharon was the one who actually spoke out when the news about AD turning into Bolt first came out, calling attention to the plot similarities between Bolt and 101 Dalmations 2.)

EDIT: It wasn't Sharon--it was co-producer Leslie Hough.
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 22nd, 2007, 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.