The Jungle Book: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Ben wrote:Somehow, danfrandes, I don't think telling you would satisfy you...but...

Yes, I think there was a Rocky in an early draft, though there's little chance of getting a "script" with him in.
Guess we'll have to wait for the DVD, right?
Actually, one of the "Theories" for Rocky's disappearance was from Disney Legend animator Floyd Norman, on Jim Hill's site:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/floyd_nor ... /5777.aspx

"(At the screenings,) the boss shifted uncomfortably in his seat, and muttered under his breath. In short order it was clear that Disney wasn't finding this bone headed beast all that funny. To be fair, the story artist's drawings were pretty darn funny, and the sequence wasn't all that bad if you watched it with the sound turned off. However, this wasn't a silent movie, and Frankie Fontaine was not amusing Walt."

And considering that Fontaine was the inspiration for Pete Puma in the Bugs Bunny cartoon ("Ohh, three or fouurrr..."), we feel your pain, Walt. :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2007, 6:08 pm

So...I guess it's okay to link to Jim Hill when it's not Jim talking? ;)

We'll have our own discussion with Mr Norman coming up on the site soon where he does confirm this story.

Apart from marketing, I don't really see the big fuss about a lost character. It happens all the time in an animated production, and that he only made is as far as the first story reel isn't like he was a major character that was partially animated. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 30th, 2007, 1:53 am

Daniel wrote:Jungle Book tin bank. (Image coming soon)
Pic is now online! I'm curious if the other two sides will have different pictures, or if they'll just repeat the ones shown. Either way, it looks real cool. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2007, 9:26 am

What the heck is that? Does it have the DVD inside it? I like the way they have previous theatrical art on there, but I think most people would prefer the deluxe set above??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 30th, 2007, 5:03 pm

A tin bank? ;) No, It doesn't have the DVD inside, its a seperate item you can purchase at a discount if you buy the DVD.

As for the deluxe set, isn't it just exclusive to the UK through play.com?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2007, 6:19 am

Yes, I think so. I'll order one from Play and swap the R1 discs out.

Will at least match Lion King/Aladdin/Cinderella sets...and the UK Snow White one that only seems to have come out here (opened like a storybook with a smaller "making of" book inside.

Ahhh, yet again the so called "Platinum Editions" get the inconsistent treatment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 2nd, 2007, 1:00 am

Good plan, Ben! Ah, if only I could do it. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2007, 8:03 am

You can do it Dan...I think they ship to the US. Could be expensive though! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Jungle Book Shonen

Post by jbirdistheword » October 2nd, 2007, 12:30 pm

Looking for an english version of this old cartoon that was originally done in japan and was released on tv years ago here in the states. here is a link to a video on youtube.com but i cannot find english versions though i know they exist!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UiP-Ia5PEtc

any help would be appreciated!

if the link does not work then just type in jungle book shonen to search for a video.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 2nd, 2007, 1:56 pm

"I Wanna Be Like You": Best. Disney. Song. Ever.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2007, 6:37 pm

Welcome jbirdistheword!

Anyone able to help out a new member?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 2nd, 2007, 7:38 pm

Yes, a little. The exact name in Japan is Jungle Book Shonen Mowgli. Here in the US though, its called The Jungle Book: The Adventures of Mowgli and it lasted 52 episodes. I tried googling the US name, to see if any DVD's came up, but nothing.

Hope that helps, jbirdistheword.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 6th, 2007, 2:12 am

Ben wrote:You can do it Dan...I think they ship to the US. Could be expensive though! :)
It does seem a little expensive and to be honest, I don't really trust online shopping, except Amazon. Thanks for the info, though. If they have an offer like this for Dalmatians, I'll probably try them out than -- its one of my faves and I love it more than Jungle.

Btw, UD has a great comparison pics thread that's worth a look.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2007, 9:15 am

Interesting screencaps.

If anything the wider image reveals a little more on the sides - probably because we've only ever been seeing the 1.33 version of a 1.37 negative frame.

The matte cropping isn't consistent though: it's clear they've vertically panned and scanned this to create better composition. The point of an open matte negative is so it works flatly on both ways. The opening titles have correctly been chopped off equally top and bottom, but Mowgli on the tree bridge shows the camera has been repositioned in favor of the top of the image to not touch the top of his head. This is therefore not the original framing (the projectionist wouldn't be there raising and lowering the projector gate, right?).

The colors look good, but I'm still miffed - after getting the redundant fullscreen transfer on Lady And The Tramp - that we don't get both.

When I saw Jungle Book for the last time in a theater - 1993 - it was windowboxed within a 1.85:1 frame. 1.37:1 matted into the wider frame, with black down the sides just as you'd watch fullscreen material on a 16x9 display. Just saying this is <I>now</I> the original ratio is wrong.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Jungle Book Original Script

Post by danfrandes » October 8th, 2007, 6:35 am

Do you know where the original script of “The Jungle Book” with Rocky the Rhinoceros is?