Tex Avery's Droop:Theatrical Collection announced for DVD!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 4th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Who cares why TVShowsOnDVD cover these sets?

I'm just glad the sets are getting more exposure!

We'll see more classic films and shorts get their DVD releases with all the extra publicity!

Heaven knows WB and all the rest hardly advertise most of their releases on DVD anywhere but the Net...

It's ridiculous, but true.

Now, on to figuring out HOW to archive my LD collection to DVD. I think my first experiment will occur tomorrow. I'll post you on the successes, NOT the failures! :D

(See, there are things you can learn from Soviet secrecy! :lol: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Let us know your system set-up George. Archiving my LDs to DVD is something I've only just started to think about. Even stuff I now have on DVD might be worth porting over.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 4th, 2007, 10:04 pm

I have some interest in doing this, myself. I'd probably only do it for 'select' titles, though .. I still have over 400 LD's; far too many to port over to DVD (my shelf space is at a 'premium', as it is).

Now, if an 'mp3'-style video format ever came along, that would make it possible to store 400 LD's on a single hard drive, on the other hand .. :idea:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2007, 8:42 am

Yeah, I'd do selected titles. Some I have on DVD already, and other titles would probably be easier to buy again (indeed I am simply waiting for HD versions before jumping to DVD and then again to HD).

All my rare animation stuff I wouldn't mind preservin though, even those wonderful MGM box sets of the 90s that are slowly trickling out on DVD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2007, 2:10 am

Hey Ben, fantastic Droopy review! I have yet to purchase the set myself, but your review was a great preview! Quite honestly, I didn't know most of what you mentioned. I knew some, but it was fascinating getting more insight on Tex.

It was also informative, reading about how the set is in comparison to the LD. Its a little depressing to know that some looked worse, but what can you do? Its also sad, about the the digital issue on some. Its no real concern for me, but the fact that its there, is what gets to me.

And I too hope, that the BBC special makes its way to a (possible) future Tex DVD. Sounds real cool! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2007, 7:23 am

Thanks Dan!

I should'a posted a link here:
http://animated-views.com/2007/droopy-t ... ollection/

The cartoon I nabbed the DVNR shots from is the worst affected, though a couple of others there were bad too. It's not so noticeable when things are moving, of course, but on that cartoon it really is.

The crazy thing is, several big print marks remain, which negates the whole purpose of using DVNR in the first place! WB have been saying for years that the reason they didn't release the Tex cartoons until now was because they wanted to "do them right" (ie: cleaned up), so this is a disspointment in that sense.

True, the image on all the prints (including the CinemaScope shorts) has been zoomed out so we don't get the slight cropping that was on the LD set, but the PRINTS themselves used in the production of the LD set were VASTLY superior, and using those as a start to boost the contrast and the color we get in the DVD would have made a HUGE difference.

Griping aside - and part from the DVNR, the lousy prints are still worthy of a grumble - this is a great set, if only for the cartoons themselves. I've suggested WB don't repeat content when they do their Avery set, but if it was possible to retransfer the first 18 cartoons to better standards then I'd change that and say go for it. The final seven CinemaScope cartoons DO look just as clean as they should, it's the classic stuff that's rough.

The BBC doc ran about 50 minutes and was as comprehensive as it got. I always felt it was a shame that the final side of the five-disc LD boc set didn't have it on as an extra since there was an hour's space to be had there. I'm going to try and contact the right people at WB and make them aware such a doc exists...it's a really good one and would compliment things wonderfully.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0939668/

I just did a search, and it appears that even though the version I have was BBC produced, it was made by "Moondance Films" and distributed worldwide by TBS, a Turner company now owned by Warners. So there is a chance that they would be able to use it without any problems. Fingers crossed! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 26th, 2007, 1:27 am

Man, your really making the doc sound good, Ben! Now that you told me all this, I'm hoping the people you contact can be of some help. And believe me, I have my fingers crossed too! :)

By any chance, have they re-aired that doc at all? Or if they air it from from time to time? The reason I ask, is because I have BBC. Would be great if they do, but I have my doubts.

If worse comes to worse, perhaps WB will make a new doc? Would be nice, at the very least.
Ben wrote:WB have been saying for years that the reason they didn't release the Tex cartoons until now was because they wanted to "do them right" (ie: cleaned up), so this is a disspointment in that sense.
Yeah, I remember reading about that. And it is, when you really think about it.
Ben wrote:The final seven CinemaScope cartoons DO look just as clean as they should

I've seen the pics online, and wow, they look brand new! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2007, 9:51 am

Dunno about brand new - they still look a TINY bit soft, but there are a vast improvement over the 1.33 shorts.

Such a shame, since this IS a very nice and comprehensive collection of some brilliant and very influential shorts.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 27th, 2007, 9:24 am

I wasn't planning on picking this up, but then I saw it at WalMart and couldn't resist. I have the amazing Avery LD box already, but having the non-Avery ones will be nice. Now, I can't wait to dive into it when I have time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2007, 9:55 am

The set, at prices the stores are discounting it to, is well worth it for those CinemaScope shorts, Rand, which do look great. Even the one you have - Millionaire Droopy - as part of the Avery LD box, looks tons better.

The 1.33s are better framed, but I just wish they could have used the <I>prints</I> they had for the LD and retransferred those. I'd be interested to hear your take on the PQ on the earlier shorts. When "Dumb Hounded" opened I really couldn't believe my eyes at the marks and grain when better versions are known to be out there.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 27th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Oh boy, another WB blunder...!

I didn't pick up this set because of a money crunch and the fact that I plan to do something with my own Avery LD set in the near future.

This does not bode well for future WB video releases.

They really need to get somebody at WB Home Video to do quality assurance on the animated home videos before they go to press. Get a fan of these films who UNDERSTANDS video restoration and what these films are SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE.

They can't expect people to support the DVD sets if it keeps appearing they don't give a darn about the quality and keep screwing up basic restoration techniques and releasing edited versions of shorts on the collector's sets. This is the fifth, sixth, eighth WB animated set that people have problems with?

WB is a multibillion dollar conglomerate but can't afford to do EXCELLENT restoration on one of its best-known brands?

WB makes enough money off its newer films to treat the older materials with more respect... Especially the older Looney Tunes & MGM shorts which have proven to be platinum sellers in the past.

The situation is just getting more pathetic every time these screw-ups rear their ugly heads.

It's sad to think that even the Eisner-era Disney Home Video with budget cuts in its film restoration department has done a better job with DISNEY'S older classics...

(Sorry guys, had to get in that last shot to make my point as strong as possible! :lol: )