Tintin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2011, 3:22 am

I don't think BZ was ever in the frame, but what do you mean about Wright getting a "(real) comic-book movie out"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » June 13th, 2011, 5:57 am

Well, I know Scott Pilgrim had a comic, but not a real comic like Ant-Man! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 13th, 2011, 8:57 am

Hhm, I've read Scott Pilgrim and it looked like a comic to me. But, if you want to get technical, it can be more accurately described as a graphic novel. Doesn't make it any less comic booky, in my opinion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Ahh, gotcha. I'd forgotten he was down for Ant-Man. But is that still happening? I understood his next was another team-up with Pegg and Frost?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 11th, 2011, 8:46 am

New trailer:

I think we can safely say that there's not a single hint of the Uncanny Valley to be found here. WETA really has done a terrific job in making the characters look like Herge's creations and (as I've said countless times before), Spielberg is the perfect choice to direct a Tintin adaptation. As a massive fan of the comics (and the Nelvana television series), I can say with absolute assurance that this will be amazing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » July 11th, 2011, 2:31 pm

estefan wrote:As a massive fan of the comics (and the Nelvana television series), I can say with absolute assurance that this will be amazing.
It definitely looks like they've seen the Nelvana series as well as the cartoon--
Still think Spielberg "caught the virus" from his buddy Zemeckis, with the slight alteration that he was talented enough to know how to block the shots within it, and give the characters expressions. :D

Unlike (ahem) OTHER major tentpole films this Christmas, this looks like it has a solid, enthusiastically involved hand at the wheel. Two sets of hands, in fact.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 13th, 2011, 1:11 am

I still think it looks ugly as hell. Mo cap is awful

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2011, 6:09 am

I'm still loving the production design but, actually, the timing now seems all off. Everything has reverted to that slo-mo look, especially when one of the Thompsons bounces off that lamp post. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tintin

Post by Whippet Angel » July 17th, 2011, 11:26 pm

I'll admit that It does look better than any of the stuff from Zemeckis, but the Valley is still Uncanny. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » July 18th, 2011, 5:41 pm

I wonder if Professor Calculus is going to be in it; he was introduced in Red Rackham's Treasure and had a fairly vital role. He isn't listed on imdb, though...

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Tintin

Post by Dan » August 1st, 2011, 12:56 pm

Here's the complete (or as complete as one can get without being able to post the footage, which unfortunately includes the hilarious "screen test") of the Tintin panel at Comic Con with Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and a cameo appearance from Andy Serkis.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Thanks! I'll have to catch this at somepoint! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 26th, 2011, 10:57 am

European tv spot:

I just don't understand the Uncanny Valley accusations at all. And I've tried looking at the characters in every way, but I'm not getting that "creepy" feeling a select others have gotten. Unlike, say, Mars Needs Moms, which weirded me out from frame one, I can look at that image of Tintin for ages and still not get sent to the Valley.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 26th, 2011, 5:54 pm

The main issue I have with the Tintin look and in fact it goes for a lot of computer generated animated films that go the 'real' look is that the entire scene looks live action but then there is a 'cartoon' person running around in the scene. So I can't fully escape into the world created for the film.

This disconnection is usually avoided in Pixar films. For me, with Pixar I always feel like I am watching an animated film. I never stop to think wow that looks real. Everything still has a 'cartoon' look to it allowing me to be absorbed into the movie.

All the footage I've seen of Tintin still makes me wonder why they didn't just make it live action, if they are going to go to all that effort ot make it look real. OR make it more 'cartoony' in its presentation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2011, 6:13 pm

First full review, thanks to Empire Magazine:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=135271

Not particularly full of spoliers, this turns out to be very much a celebration of the upcoming movie. If it's half as good as this sounds, we're in for a real treat! :)