Tintin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Tintin

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Hopefully a second film will build on the US audiences for the first, but in the meantime here's more of what I thought on Spielberg and Jackson's first Tintin adventure:

http://animatedviews.com/2012/the-adven ... e-unicorn/ :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 25th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Excellent review! I made it a point to buy the Blu-Ray on the first day and it looked magnificent. Tintin will definitely be something that I think will be extra-rewarding on multiple viewings. :-)

I should point out a couple of little errors in your review: The Artist won the original score Oscar, not Tintin. Likewise, Hugo won for visual effects over the Apes.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2012, 2:38 pm

You know what? I'm ashamed to say I knew that. Both of 'em. But in the back of my mind I wasn't so sure and so I checked the AMPAS website. Their page setup is so poor it did actually look like Tintin and Apes had won in their fields, so I guess I "corrected" myself in the review (mentions of the Oscars were last minute additions) and went with what looked like the right info. :roll:

Thanks for the catches...they've been fixed now! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 28th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I agree, this is a great review. I know this might be blasphemy as a member of a forum entitled "Animated Views," but Tintin was the only animated feature of 2011 that I was interested in seeing. I thought it was fantastic. Despite the fact that I live in America, I was familiar with the Tintin books growing up and they were popular at the local library. One thing I noticed was the film's relatively subdued slapstick/humor compared to the books (one exception is when Haddock gets caught in the airplane propeller).

There is another little error I found--the great score to Young Sherlock Holmes was written by Bruce Broughton (who really needs more work), not James Horner. But again-great review.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Thanks! And you caught me out on that Broughton/Horner slip: somehow I always think it's Horner scoring that movie, since he did so many of the 1980s Amblins. I've fixed that too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 30th, 2012, 12:55 am

Personally I though Tintin was really boring and the only part of the movie I liked at all was the chase scene where the camera didn't cut away. Beyond that I was just not drawn into the movie one bit. Maybe it's because I had zero exposure to tintin before the movie, but I just didn't like it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2012, 9:32 am

Fair enough!

Maybe, now you've been, er, "exposed", um, you'll maybe like the next one more? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 2nd, 2012, 8:55 pm

Maybe, I dunno. If it's as boring to me as this one was I can't imagine liking it.

It also really don't think the mo-cap used in Tintin was that much better than other uses of MoCap and I really just want mocap to die a horrible death forever

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 3rd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Macaluso wrote:It also really don't think the mo-cap used in Tintin was that much better than other uses of MoCap and I really just want mocap to die a horrible death forever
Punish the crime, not the victims... :roll:
It was mostly Zemeckis' ghost, not the movie, that kept audiences away from lingering resentment, but I'll stand by the way Spielberg knows how to direct in the way RZ doesn't. If you found it "boring", I just repeat Roger Ebert's "Review the movie on screen, not the one you were expecting to see."

For those curious in NA, the more Herge-derived (and without that icky mo-cap, so there!) 60's-dubbed French Speed-Racer versions have just turned up out of the blue on Instant Netflix.
http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Tintin_ ... r/70233780
Still think the Nelvana series was the better 2-D version, though.