Tintin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tintin

Post by Jeroen » March 8th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Coming from Belgium myself, I never really understood the popularity of tintin ( or "Kuifje" as we actually call him ) outside of our borders.

That said, the idea of a movie with involvement of Mr Spielberg himself is really interesting to me.

On the Belgian news today, they said Spielberg will direct it himself.(what do we now?)
I think he'll just be an executive producer but time will tell.

If he directs it, I'm almost sure it will be live action.
But if it's animated, I really think it should be 2D
I can't imagine tintin in 3 dimensions

Here's the coming soon article as reported by Josh on the main AN site
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19245

Your thoughts?
And I'm really interested in how many of you actually know tintin

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 8th, 2007, 6:08 pm

I love Tintin! :D And I enjoy several other Belgian comics series; especially Asterix, Schtroumpfs (Smurfs), and Natacha (oooh, la-la, Natacha! :twisted: ) ..

-------------------------

I happen to know (never mind 'how') that Steven Spielberg recently toured a major 'motion-capture' facility here in L.A. .. though that could have been in regard to any number of film projects; not necessarily to Tintin .. :wink:

Whether it's live-action or animated (and whether it's animated in CGI or traditional '2D'), a big-budget Hollywood treatment of Tintin is long overdue. I just hope the unique quality of Hergè's storytelling can survive the process! :)

--------------------------

And I think Tintin's broad international appeal has a lot to do with the way he's drawn .. the simple lines, his 'indeterminate' age; he's 'everyman' .. it's easy for the reader to 'identify' with him, or even to imagine themselves having his adventures.

Scott McCloud uses Tintin as such an example in his book, Understanding Comics .. where he notes that Charlie Brown shares a lot of the same qualities, complete with a similar character design.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 8th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Interesting droosan,
It just hit me that dreamworks is making it so 2D is out.

Btw, Asterix is a french comic
A lot of people seem to make that mistake :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 8th, 2007, 6:43 pm

My mistake; I know that Goscinny and Uderzo started out publishing with Dupuis, so I'd assumed one or the other was from Belgium. But I just looked it up, and you're right -- they're both from France. :oops:

I got into reading Tintin, Asterix, and Les Schtroumpfs when I was taking French classes, 'way back in Junior High & High School (early-to-mid-1980's).

I discovered Natacha quite by accident about 5 years ago, when a local bookshop got a small batch of albums in by mistake .. I bought them all, sought out her remaining adventures, and now François Walthéry ranks high among my favorite artists. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 8th, 2007, 8:51 pm

I never read any of the comics, but I used to watch the animated Tintin series on HBO back when they used to air it. Almost every saturday morning, in fact. I always thought it was a nifty show, so however it gets made (live action, CGI, 2D) I'll definately want to see the movie, especially if they can nail the "young indy jones" vibe the cartoon had.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2007, 6:11 am

From today's Animated Views, going live later today:

"Personally, I can't wait. My Dad was a huge fan of these stories and the strips and was actually quite worried back in the 80s at what Hollywood might do to his boyhood hero. With filmmaking much more international now, and a general attempt to "get things right", I have no doubt that Spielberg, a lifelong fan himself, is the right man to steer Tintin through his latest and greatest adventure. And if they need a director...I'm only an email away!"

Someone I know has said this will be live-action, so I've gone with that in my story. The Spielberg option always was for live-action.

If they go the animated route, it's GOT to be 2D...a CGI Tintin is just wrong. I've heard a live-action Tintin In Tibet is what they're going for with possibly Roman Polanski directing and SS producing.

The original option was for a trilogy deal, so maybe they're aiming towards that first...??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 9th, 2007, 12:52 pm

I dunno .. I think a CGI Tintin could look interesting -- IF the 'ligne claire' ('clean line') style of Hergè's artwork is perfectly preserved:

It could look like a latter-day Puppetoon .. the potential is there ..

.. but who knows whether it will be realized. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 9th, 2007, 7:54 pm

A 2D film seems kinda unecessary since it's already been a tv series.
And even if CGI could work, i'd much rather see it in live action. :P

BTW, I read in a newspaper article this morning that there have already been Tintin films made in other parts of the world (it'll just be a first for Hollywood). Were any of these live action??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 9th, 2007, 8:01 pm

BTW, I read in a newspaper article this morning that there have already been Tintin films made in other parts of the world (it'll just be a first for Hollywood). Were any of these live action??
There's been live action, animated, and stop motion films of tintin throughout the years.
Most of them made in the 60's

The only one that I can remember I've seen once was Tintin and the shark lake wich was live action

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 9th, 2007, 8:42 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 9th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Actually, Tintin and the Lake of Sharks (Tintin et le Lac aux Requins) was a traditionally-animated feature, made in the 1970's. I rather like it, myself .. though most Tintin fans don't seem to share that opinion. It is available on Region-1 DVD, but only in Canada. (and, happily, that DVD includes both the french and english dialogue tracks).

The Blue Oranges (Les Oranges Bleu), which the first of Whippet Angel's linked images comes from, is the only 'live-action' Tintin film I've seen, and it is pretty awful; worse than the live-action Asterix films from a few years ago. I don't think any of the live-action Tintin films have been released on DVD yet (at least, not in Region-1).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 10th, 2007, 8:11 am

You're right, shark lake was animated.
I did see a live action one, I'm guessing it was the golden fleece then.
Cause I never saw the blue oranges

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2007, 11:12 am

I wrote about all these on my front page Views piece. :)

The UK has a nice triple box set for the Tintin animated features:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herges-Adventur ... 055&sr=1-4

Nice transfers, though only English tracks.

BTW..."It <I>could</I> look like a latter-day Puppetoon"... YES! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 12th, 2007, 9:39 pm

Eh, just out of curiosity, am I the only female Tintin fan here??? I've always noticed Tintin's appeal to young boys, and I've come to see it as more of a guy thing.

Then again, I've always been a bit of a Tomboy :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 15th, 2007, 1:08 pm

So, how does everybody feel about Spielberg and Jackson teaming up for this?