7 films are currently in production at Pixar!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Brenda Chapman was actually on the See Jane panel with a bunch of other animation people last October and brought up this very issue:

Brenda Chapman: At the start of my career, I was the only woman in the story department at Disney, but at that time we were working on "Princess movies" with strong female leads, so at the time there didn't seem to be any need to strengthen other female roles...most of the funny characters were guys....But now I'm at Pixar, and there films are very much for the boys. I don't think it's a conscious thing, I just think they're making fillms they want to see.... Joe Ranft asked me to come up to Pixar to work on the female character in "Cars" to make her ring more "true." Pixar is something of a "boy's club", and little thought seems to have been given to female characters, even when it would have fit naturally. For example, why couldn't the Slinky or the T-Rex in Toy Story have been women? [Brenda's business card reads "Token female Pixar story person," but now that she's directing there aren't any women in Pixar's story department.]

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... panel.html

As many have said, I do feel now that by and large Helen, Edna and Violet were very positive female characters in a Pixar film. I know they tried to do that with Sally the Porsche but only partially succeeded....she never felt real to me, at all. Not as a female or a character. She was an empty page with the words "Interesting/strong female character" but not much more. :?

Still, I do have high hopes for Ratatouille--I hope that female chef is an important part of the plot. :)

Jessie the Cowgirl was a pretty great character too, but if you think about it she doesn't do all that much in the film. I always liked Bo Peep as well, how she counsels Woody, and always expected them to give her a bigger role. Hopefully, she'll play a more active part in TS 3. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 15th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Incredibles aside, I think strong female characters are lacking in Pixar films - as well as CGI movies from other studios. I guess it takes one to write one, eh? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 16th, 2007, 1:23 am

I guess so Meg! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » May 21st, 2007, 11:10 am

Last edited by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR on May 21st, 2007, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » May 21st, 2007, 11:23 am

Wow that's awesome!!! Thanks for the news JV!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » May 21st, 2007, 11:28 am

No problem! :D
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2007, 2:24 pm

There's a surprise. You can add Andrew Stanton's name to that project too...

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » May 21st, 2007, 2:31 pm

What do you mean Andrew Stanton's on the project, Ben? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2007, 2:49 pm

I didn't say he was <B>on</B> the project, only that you could add his name to it...

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » May 21st, 2007, 2:53 pm

May I ask why we should add his name to the project? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 21st, 2007, 2:56 pm

I'm not sure, but (I think) what Ben is trying to say is that Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton and maybe one or more people from the Brain Trust are all trying to "do their own thing" and are "branching out" to do live-action of all things because they want to make "real" films that will get them noticed.

Stanton may be doing WALE-E but I'm sure he's also got his own live-action film lined up--namely, JCOM, like Brad has 1906.

EDIT: I also think Ben meant that even if he hasn't officially joined JCOM, he might soon.

It's not that they're "bad" for doing this, but if they direct a live-action film it will get their (individual) name noticed in Hollywood in a way that an animation director's name is never noticed. (unless you're John Lassetter. Even Brad Bird's name is generally not that recognized in Hollywood outside the Pixar/Disney animation circles. Sad but true. It's "known", of course, but not in the way Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay, M Knight Shyamalan, Gore Verbinski, Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi or Alfonso Curaon are. :?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » May 21st, 2007, 6:47 pm

Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson started in the gore business, I don't see why great directors can't start in animation.
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » May 22nd, 2007, 2:57 am

If Vi is right then maybe it was Bird and Stanton that eased Lasseter/Catmull/Iger/El Jobso and the rest of the exec team at Pixar into the decision to branch off into live action. I mean, besides John, they are probably two of the most influential directors at Pixar considering the successes of the Incredibles and Nemo. You know, I can almost see someone like Jeff Pigeon or Mark Andrews working closely on a project like this. They seem to be right into that fantasy type stuff. But Mark Andrews seems to follow Brad Bird wherever he goes so he might go with Brad from Ratatouille onto 1906.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 22nd, 2007, 12:08 pm

It's quite possible. I think Bird and Stanton both want to get up from under Pixar's "shadow" and be noticed for their individual names, not just "those Pixar guys." It's understandable, especially at this point in their careers. But, as Ben said earlier, why don't they just leave the studio if they want to make "real" movies? :?

Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson started in the gore business, I don't see why great directors can't start in animation.
But why are they always going on about how much they love animation and animation is their whole life, etc..? Why are they suddenly abandoning it?

Disney bought Pixar so they could make great animated movies for Disney as well as help Disney's own ailing department. Period. That's what that 7 billion dollars was for.

With extra stuff like this, Pixar is spreading itself WAY too thin, (particularly with JL's involvement with Imagineering as well) and not only that, it sends a message to Disney (and Hollywood, and everyone else) that the Brain Trust/Sacred Seven can go off in any direction they want without ever having to answer to Disney because Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder and on the board.
(Also, has anyone considered the perhaps small but definetely real chance that these films WON'T be blockbusters? That they're being made by people who've never directed live-action before? Not that they can't be good--lots of great directors start out in animation and do a great job in live-action: Rob Minkoff, etc.... I'm sure they will be "fun", but Disney could very well lose money on them if they don't deliver. We just assume they'll be box office giants because it's Pixar. But as Cars proved last summer, nothing is assured. And if JCOM and 1906 don't do well, that's Disney's money going down the drain. Not Pixar's.)

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » May 22nd, 2007, 12:57 pm

Hey I thought JV found John Carter Of Mars news first, on the found of A-News it says that Upcoming Pixar found it first but JV did, because the Upcoming Pixar guy was asleep when JV found it :D . Here is what it says:

John Carter of Pixar; Brad Bird visits 1906?

Upcoming Pixar points to IESB.net, where a quick chat with John Lasseter and Ed Catmull was enjoyed briefly at the world premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. During the conversation, Catmull admitted that Pixar’s adaptation of John Carter of Mars would be different than the previous, more kid-friendly films Pixar has done, as the movie will be based on the book. Furthermore, Catmull commented that the company has not yet worked on the picture much, as they have not had the property’s rights for very long. Likewise, IESB.net writes that Brad Bird is in negotiations to direct 1906, based on James Dalessandro’s novel about the San Francisco quake of that year.