RoboCop

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

RoboCop

Post by GeorgeC » May 8th, 2007, 9:47 pm

http://www.thedigitalbits.com , 5/8/2007

"In announcement news, MGM has set a RoboCop: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition for release on 8/21 (SRP $22.98) as a 2-disc set. Disc One will include the theatrical cut of the film in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 audio, audio commentary by director Paul Verhoven, writer Ed Neumeier and executive producer Jon Davison, 4 featurettes (Flesh and Steel: The Making of RoboCop, Shooting RoboCop, Making RoboCop and The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Animator Phil Tippet), 4 deleted scenes, a 6-subject photo gallery, the film's theatrical trailer and a TV spot. Disc Two will add the extended cut of the film (also anamorphic with 5.1 audio), 3 featurettes (Villains of Old Detroit, Special Effects: Then and Now and RoboCop: Creating a Legend), a "Paul Verhoven Easter egg" and more trailers and TV spots."

The only Verhoven film I care about.

FINALLY. A. DECENT. DVD. RELEASE!

This combines the best parts of the Criterion and past anamorphic release minus the ultraweak, rusty Robo-sequels.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 8th, 2007, 10:39 pm

I've never seen any of them (despite the fact that I remember vaguely when 2 and 3 came out.) I'm interested in seeing the first one.
GeorgeC wrote:The only Verhoven film I care about.
I like Total Recall a lot (which I own) and Starship Troopers too. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 9th, 2007, 1:10 am

I love Robocop (though I've never seen anything beyond the first film, not the sequels, not the tv shows, nothing)! I've held off on getting the dvd because I was waiting for a good, quality release. It's good to know that one is forthcoming. Thanks for the head's up, George.

On another note, I also really like Total Recall (my second favorite Schwarzenegger movie after Terminator 2) and have always thought that that film was seriously underrated.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 9th, 2007, 3:37 am

Paul Verhoeven's commentary on the Robocop laserdisc is hilarious, at times:
(Robocop steps into a mudpuddle)
Verhoeven: "This is my Christ imagery -- Robocop walking on the water."
:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2007, 8:22 am

Did you ever hear him with Arnie on Total Recall...? Priceless too.

I have the Criterion of this and was tempted by the trilogy box. I have 2 on the original Image LaserDisc - yes, it's no-where as good as the first but the last half hour, with Tippett's awesome stop-motion, is exhilerating.

I'd never seen 3, which despite the bad-mouthing about it, holds a curiosity value. I nearly picked up MGM's triolgy set when it took a price dive recently, but kind of glad I missed it. I'll go for this though, I think, for the anamorphic enhancement and the oodles of extras.

Original commentary aside, I never really saw what the fuss was over that Criterion edition...some text screens!?!!?? Extras??

What's new/lost between this new 2-disc and the trilogy set though...I still want to see 3... :roll:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 9th, 2007, 11:02 am

Ben,

The Criterion DVD/LD had the extra scenes/extended length to it.

The MGM issue of the Trilogy had the same extended cut but in anamorphic format which unfortunately was in its infancy when the Criterion DVD came out.

As far as I know, most of the extras on the 20th Anniversary edition have NOT been released on DVD yet.

I'm getting it for the extended cut and anamorphic visuals. The extras mentioned by The Digital Bits sound good, too.

I skipped the Trilogy set precisely because the sequels STINK and the fact that there were next to no extras besides the anamorphic video and extended footage/deleted scenes. RoboCop 2 was bad enough, but RoboCop 3 basically derailed ANY RoboCop live-action projects for the better part of a decade for good reasons! Yes, it WAS that bad...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2007, 11:10 am

The trilogy set actually has a large number of the extras coming to the new 2-disc, which is why I was tempted.

The Flesh and Steel doc and much more was on that. Perhaps you're thinking of the stand-alone release that MGM put out, which did not have any extras apart from the ex. cut.

Like I say, the trilogy set had that and much more, so I still can't see what all the fuss over the Criterion was and why many people still search for it. Better has come out twice!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 9th, 2007, 11:23 am

Ben wrote: Like I say, the trilogy set had that and much more, so I still can't see what all the fuss over the Criterion was and why many people still search for it. Better has come out twice!

Gets me. Criterion releases are generally only worth it

A) if it's something you really, really care about

and B) if it's the best possible/only good print of a film out there.

Criterion DVD costs generally aren't worth it for impulse buying. It's too much of a premium that can be spent on somethng else cheaper, OR, I don't know, LIVING expenses! :lol:

For instance, Time Bandits has been out in both Criterion and Artisan DVD releases. I got the Artisan 2-disc release because A) it was cheaper and B) had an anamorphic release. The extras probably were pretty much the same thing. What's Gilliam going to say on one release or the other that he hasn't said a million times before? The stories I'm sure are the same.

A lot of the earlier Criterion releases on DVD are non-amorphic. A big deal if you're even thinking of upgrading to a widescreen TV (which I am after prices drop a bit more).

And yeah, sometimes the extras just don't justify searching for the old stuff... especially now that Criterion is beginning to re-release some of its older DVD catalog with better pressings of films like Seven Samurai.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MickeyMousePal » May 9th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Yes, finally I have been waiting for this one.