One Hundred and One Dalmatians: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

101 Dalmatians edited!?

Post by Wonderlicious » August 9th, 2005, 7:32 am

I just found this article from a link on the Home Theater Forum. Written in 2000, it's basically the type of article that would have appeared on Save Disney (aka claiming that Eisner is the devil incarnate), slamming everything that Disney does wrong. However, it came to one point about censorship in the animated classics;
Anime fans have often complained that companies often cut up and cut out scenes in their favorite films. This may seem bad, but it's nothing compared to the cuts Disney has done. Many of the studio's films on videos and in a few theatrical re-releases have been edited. Some would think for preservation. But, instead of just removing age, grime, and soot from it, they have totally tampered with the product. The studio has mutilated it to the point of unrecognizableness. All due to being "politically correct" or to use the Disney term, making it "family-friendly." They have cut out every instance of smoking, every instance of brief nudity, every instance of gun use, every ethnic stereotype, and every instance of violence, turning it into a bunch of mindless slush.

Movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Fantasia, The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers, and 101 Dalmations, and anthologies like Make Mine Music, Melody Time, and The Spirit of Mickey have been cut really badly. Some portions have been cut out in some movies (Pecos Bill lighting up a cigarette in MT and Baby Herman lifting up a woman's skirt in Roger Rabbit) while in some films, entire shorts have been omitted (The Hatfield-McCoy short in Make Mine Music is the most recent example).
http://www.thexbridge.com/disney99.html

Now, I knew that most of the other films mentioned had been tampered with, but has 101 Dalmatians been edited?! If so, what has been cut and is any unedited version available on any form of home media? I have the UK video release from around 1996, which may be the same as the US 1992 video master (we didn't get it till then :roll: :( ), and is that unsnipped?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 9th, 2005, 11:04 am

er baby herman still lifted up the skirt in roger rabbit, unless it's a totally different scene they are refering to...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 9th, 2005, 11:17 am

Macaluso wrote:er baby herman still lifted up the skirt in roger rabbit, unless it's a totally different scene they are refering to...
I believe that in the original, he stuck his finger up whilst walking under the skirt, and on home media releases, this the offensive finger was edited out.
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2005, 11:59 am

I have a bootleg copy of 101 Dalmatians from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back before Disney even put titles out on DVD and know the film backwards.

As far as I can tell, there's not one shot different from that (which was taken from a print) and the version that came out as a "Limited Issue" title on DVD.

Now, unless the prints were cut years ago, this seems to be a mistake, or it could be that they are referring to a shot that has been digitally manipulated, but no missing shots or scenes as far as I can see.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 9th, 2005, 12:36 pm

You know, they could have been talking about the live action version; in Britain, a little bit of the film was cut:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0115433/board/nest/9062158

http://imdb.com/title/tt0115433/alternateversions

EDIT: I seem to have a little star near my name now. Wheeeee! :D
-Joe

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2005, 6:46 pm

Hmmm, first I've ever heard about that!

But unlikely this change made it to the US disc...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » August 10th, 2005, 4:34 pm

i have this movie only on VHS. My father doesnt want to buy it on DVD because he thinks they have other voices, but i want it on DVD
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm

The voices are the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » August 11th, 2005, 8:19 pm

thats good!
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

One Hundred and One Dalmatians: Platinum Edition

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2007, 5:15 am

Figured I get us rolling, since the trailer has now been Tubed: :)

Btw, the website doesn't work yet. :(
Last edited by Daniel on November 30th, 2007, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2007, 8:47 am

Cool!

I changed the name of your thread to the <I>correct</I> title of the original book <I>AND</I> Walt's film.

However Disney wants to market it now with numbers instead of words, just so it has <I>brand recognition</I>, it seems Mike Barrier and myself are on a loney crusade to keep calling this film by it's full title!

On the trailer...I don't think this is from the restored print, even though it looks good. But then, Dalmatians has always looked good due to the funky nature of the artwork.

Interesting that this is the full negative frame. If they wanted to, Disney could pull a Jungle Book and put it out at 1.75:1, since Dalmatians was the first of Walt's films composed with this dual format in mind.

The extras sound lame-o at this point, and you can bet the music video is for Cruella De Vil...what else?

There should be some good things for this...the BBC ran a documentary on author Dodie Smith around a year ago, but I doubt they'd bother picking that up...shame since it was a healthy 25 minute doc.

I would at least hope to see three/four original and reissue trailers, but nothing seems to be guaranteed with these so called Platinums.

In short, they're a little SPOTTY!!! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2007, 4:00 pm

You changed my title? MY title!? Eh, its ok. I was thinking about naming it that way, but wanted to keep it short, sweet and to the point. Who's Mike Barrier, though?

On the music video, they could always do 'canine crunchies' you know. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2007, 8:20 am

You're asking who Mike Barrier is?

:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 14th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Long pause, never good. I think I know him, does he write books?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Yes, his most recent publication is the biographical The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney.

Here is Mike's website, Daniel: MichaelBarrier.com. Maybe it will answer some of your other questions about him.