Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 14th, 2008, 5:16 am

James wrote:Wow. Disagree with you guys completely. BD-Live has been planned for several years now and has just now become available in several players. This isn't a gimmick or a ploy. It's a feature that will take us yet another step beyond DVD. Yes, the implementations may not be to everyone's fancy on this disc. But that doesn't mean those are the only things that can be done. We're at the beginning of this so companies are just starting to figure ways to use the technology.
My point was, if BD-Live is around in three to five years--and it probably will be--it won't be because we can all chat "kEwl!" over the movie...
(Particularly as most video buyers buy their movies for the longrun, and nobody talks about a movie five weeks into its run, let alone five years.)

I can remember when DVD was first sold on the neato "Alternate angles" gimmick, which is all but forgotten today except for a few foreign-credits and making-of functions.
An Internet connection can also be harnessed as useful, so long as it's not ornamental--I'm waiting to be sold on the usefulness, but the two studios first have to get over their media-fed inferiority complexes that we're all supposed to buy it just because it's neat.
(And that the movie itself "had nothing to do with it"...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » June 14th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Just watched the video trying to 'sell' the new features! Why on earth would you want to be texting, messaging and watching video messages in the middle of a classic film? Put your laptop on and use MSN if you want to tell the kids over web cam to keep the house ("Magic Kingdom") tidy for Mom! This is just pathetic and has no long term use.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 15th, 2008, 7:25 am

Yeah,agree,why text while watching a movie when you can just talk to them on a forum\chat? :roll:.
And fathers can calls their children to tell them to "Help mommy to keep the enchanted tower clean and daddy's terribly sorry he can't see Sleeping Beauty again" insted of window that you can't Flora,Founa and Merriweather thanks to it :roll:.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 15th, 2008, 1:12 pm

I can see how it might be kinda cool. From what I understand you're not just watching the movie and chatting. The film is actually synchronized for every one. One cool thing might be some expert or just knowledgeable person could set up a viewing time on their website and then watch along with the readers and do their own commentary while the movies plays.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » June 15th, 2008, 3:49 pm

....or they could just record the much-loved DVD audio commentaries from different contributors/experts without people hoping an 'expert' happens to be hovering.....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 16th, 2008, 7:53 am

Wal-Mart's exclusive :roll: :x:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 16th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Little girls will no doubt love it! ;)

I wonder how big the eye mask will be... My mom needs a new one and she LOVES Sleeping Beauty. Sigh, it will probably be too small. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 17th, 2008, 12:44 am

It probably won't be much bigger than the width of a DVD case (judging by the image)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 17th, 2008, 2:06 am

Daniel wrote:Little girls will no doubt love it! ;)

I wonder how big the eye mask will be... My mom needs a new one and she LOVES Sleeping Beauty. Sigh, it will probably be too small. :(
What do you mean eye mask?.
Well,stil,they can't tread it like a Bratz DVD.
It's the pinkness of doom :wink:.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » July 17th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Wal-Mart's exclusive :roll: :x:

How spiffy is that. i will be buying SB at wally world anyway. Can october come any sooner?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 17th, 2008, 7:31 pm

So, trinkets aside, just <I>what</I> IS new between this and the last 2-disc stuffed release?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 17th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Uh..... This one's the 50th anniversary edition, and that one was just the 40-something-ith? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 17th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Wasn't the 40-something back when they still did wet-filter film restorations--
And now that the 50th has got Blu-ray, they're playing with all the computerized Warner toys?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2008, 5:28 am

Nope, the previous (it wasn't an anniversary edition, only came out four years ago!) edition was the same hi-def digital restoration as this one will be.

The last photo-chemical restoration was for the laserdisc in the 1990s, and even that had a video paintbox job done on it.

So...essentially it's the same edition as before? Probably with a "New Exclusive Game!" -yay!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Post by Dusterian » July 18th, 2008, 4:24 pm

I can't believe it! Ben actually doesn't know something, and I get to inform him! And Sleeping Beauty's one of his favorites?

First of all, Sleeping Beauty will have an all new restoration. The first one was done in-house by Disney, by whoever did Snow White's. But now a new one was done by Lowry Digital Images. It is listed on their web site as one the films they have done. They're the ones who did restorations for films like Bambi and the horribly wrong fiasco of a restoration for Cinderella. However, from the images (and a Wonderful World of Disney sneak peek of the restoration), Sleeping Beauty looks good, close to how it was originally but things stand out more.

Furthermore, Sleeping Beauty will be presented in an expanded ratio from what we've seen so far on home video. Apparently Technirama has different frame areas that can yield different aspect ratios, and the frame area Sleeping Beauty was shot in yields an aspect ratio of 2.55:1 on the original camera negatives. It shows more picture, on the sides and a little on the top and bottom. While I would like to have as much picture as possible, it isn't the original aspect ratio. Oh well, more background and animation to see!

Here's a comparison of the old DVD to the newly restored and reformatted DVD & Blu-ray, but they're bad examples, only from what I could find:

Many people thought Disney was giving up on DVD, and some suspected they were saving the good stuff for Blu-ray, to help convince people to buy the new format. Well, it seems that's what they have done, as the new Blu-ray will have many more new bonus features than just a new game! Of course the previous DVD was packed and a good release as it was, but Disney hasn't always ported old bonus features over! I'll mark the features that were on the old DVD with a star (*). If it's not starred, it's new (as we know of)!

DISC ONE

- Audio Commentary with John Lasseter, Andreas Deja and Leonard Maltin
- Visual Commentary (Blu-ray only)
- Princess Fun Facts
- Disney Song Selection

DISC TWO:

Backstage Disney
- “Picture Perfect: The Making of Sleeping Beauty” (about 43 minutes!)
- “Eyvind Earle: The Man and His Art”
- Build Reel
- “Four Artists Paint One Tree” *
- “The Peter Tchaikovsky Story” *
- Art Galleries * (might be some new art in them, though)

Storyboard Sequences
- Introduction
- The Fairies Put the Castle to Sleep: Split-Screen Comparison
- The Capture of the Prince: Split-Screen Comparison

Live-Action Reference
- Briar Rose Dances
- Prince Philip Fights the Dragon
- The Queen and a Good Mary (probably means Good Fairy)

Publicity
- Original Teaser Trailer *
- Original Trailer *
- Re-Release Trailer *

Music and More
- “Once Upon A Dream” Music Video
- “Holiday” Alternate Opening
- "It Happens I Have A Picture" Version 2 - 1952
- "Riddle-Diddle"
- "Go To Sleep"
- Sequence 8

Fun and Games
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through Attraction (yes, a virtual recreation of the attraction, including history of the attraction)
- Briar Rose’s Enchanted Dance Game (DVD only)
- Maleficent’s Challenge Game (Blu-ray only)
- Sleeping Beauty Fun With Language Game
- (and possibly something called Dungeon Escape, probably a game)

BD Live
- Virtual Castle Menu Interface
- Movie Mail
- Movie Chat
- Movie Challenge

Missing features that were from the old 2003 Special Edition DVD but did not make it onto this new 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition DVD and Blu-ray are as follows, but some of the features sound similar to the new DVD and Blu-ray features, or parts of them will probably be in the new DVD and Blu-ray features, especially the storyboards and live-action references:

- Audio Commentary (with Eyvind Earle, Mary Costa, Ollie Johnston, Marc Davis, Frank Armitage, Mike Gabriel, Michael Giaimo, and hosted by Jeff Kurtti)
- Once Upon A Dream: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty
- The Music
- The Design
- Creating The Backgrounds
- Briar Rose Dance Reference
- Prince Phillip And The Dragon Reference (also includes the Queen and a man in drag as a Good Fairy)
- Photographs (of live-action reference)
- The Restoration
- Widescreen to Pan-and-Scan Comparison

- The History of the Story
- The 1951 Outline
- Sequence 15: "The Fairies Put the Castle to Sleep" (it looks like what I would call split-screen, the storyboards on top, the film below)
- Sequence 17: "The Capture of the Prince" (also what I would call split-screen betweeen storyboards and the film)

- "Grand Canyon" (live-action short paired with Sleeping Beauty's first release)

- Disney's Art Project (make a princess and dragon out of household objects)
- Rescue Aurora Adventure Game
- Princess Personality Profile Game
- "Once Upon A Dream" Sing-Along-Song
- "Once Upon (Another) Dream" Music Video
- Sleeping Beauty Ink & Paint Game
Last edited by Dusterian on July 19th, 2008, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.