How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by CGIFanatic » March 24th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Hey EricJ, I see you are back to making things up again. You must really be getting a lot of browny points for making things up about the competitor. How very original of you.

ELIOLI, I think DreamWorks is going to get a lot of praise from critics and the general public for this movie but don't be shocked or surprised when you hear the unoriginal comment from some people because that's what they usually say when they want to refrain from saying anything positive about a movie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 24th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Obviously, I like DreamWorks. I've seen all of their films. But if someone doesn't like them, I see no reason to think badly of their opinion. Each to their own, you know. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 24th, 2010, 6:45 pm

My main interest in seeing this is Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois directing it, which considering how almost un-Disney-like Lilo & Stitch was, I expected this wouldn't be like the typical loud DreamWorks fare we expect from them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it (in 2D, mind you) on Friday.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 24th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Consensus: Boasting dazzling animation, a script with surprising dramatic depth, and thrilling 3-D sequences, How to Train Your Dragon soars.

This is from RT obviously...

Hopefully it's not too ,too early to say, but this is a good sign! A really good one! Sure it only has 19 reviews so far, but I have a strong feeling that it's going to stay pretty fresh. I think were in for a great ride guys, honestly.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 24th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Dacey wrote:Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Obviously, I like DreamWorks. I've seen all of their films. But if someone doesn't like them, I see no reason to think badly of their opinion. Each to their own, you know. :)
Certainly everyone is entitled to an opinion but often times people judge based on who makes a movie and not the movie itself. I found that to be funny initially but when you see it over and over again, I supposed that feeling turns from funny to annoying when you see it done repeatedly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2010, 7:45 pm

The problem is, as James once said in a review a while back, one never knows which DreamWorks you're going to see in a new movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 24th, 2010, 8:07 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking CGI. Couldn't have said it better myself... :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by CGIFanatic » March 24th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Ben wrote:The problem is, as James once said in a review a while back, one never knows which DreamWorks you're going to see in a new movie.
I think DreamWorks is one of the top animation studios but if you listen to some of the comments you'd think they would at the bottom of the pile. There have been some really good DWA movies and some not so good ones but people prefer to think (almost rooting) that the next is going to be a Shark Tale and not a Shrek/Panda. Why do you suppose that is?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 24th, 2010, 10:53 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:Certainly everyone is entitled to an opinion but often times people judge based on who makes a movie and not the movie itself. I found that to be funny initially but when you see it over and over again, I supposed that feeling turns from funny to annoying when you see it done repeatedly.
And the sentiment, in fact, works BOTH WAYS.
I don't worship Chris Sanders and I've seen L&S, so it follows that I don't worship HtTYD sight unseen because Sanders directed it.
I've seen both trailers and saw nothing that appealed to me, and if there's good value to be found in the final product, DW's marketing department is keeping it well hidden. Granted Pixar does the same thing with their marketing, but DW, how shall I put this, is not Pixar. I do not suspect breathtaking surprises to be buried within.

I may have to go see the darn thing anyway, just as fans around me were inexplicably laiding praise and laurel upon "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "Cloudly/Meatballs", and I suspect my reaction maybe just as much that of the lone realist in the wilderness.
(I will of course have to go see it in 3-D, as most of the RT Fresh'es seem to be the variety of "sure the plot may be corny and familiar, but the 3-D LOOKS FANTASTIC!" Which was also the case with Cloudy, Avatar and Alice.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 24th, 2010, 11:52 pm

Did you even bother to read the comment you replied to because what you said doesn't make any sense.

Nevertheless, What "both ways"?

I'm not sure why you feel what you feel about Sanders and frankly don't care but in my opinion to hate on a movie because it is made by such and such is exactly what I'm saying is wrong and it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. This isn't team sports where you root for the local soccer/baseball/football team. We're supposed to be fans of movies and not studios or directors. I couldn't care less who directed this movie, all I want is to see good movies. What label is slapped on at the beginning of the movie makes no difference to me (I suspect most people feel that way).

All I've heard here is some excitement about this movie. A few have been keeping a close eye on the reviews and the excitement has been growing but for whatever reason you become defensive and bring the snark here. Why that is I'm not sure?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by Sunday » March 25th, 2010, 2:33 am

CGIFanatic wrote:Why do you suppose that is?
Perhaps that feeling originates from the contingent who *know* animation peaked around 1940. :P

I can't comment on Dragon; however, Dreamworks' output overall has been hit-and-miss enough for me to not hold out any hope for an animation masterpiece in future titles. At best I expect a nicely polished and entertaining ride.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 25th, 2010, 4:50 am

Sunday wrote:I can't comment on Dragon; however, Dreamworks' output overall has been hit-and-miss enough for me to not hold out any hope for an animation masterpiece in future titles. At best I expect a nicely polished and entertaining ride.
That's all I expect too, and if a new director (I'm referring to ANY director, not Saint Christopher) can bring a little bit of un-Dreamworks-y sentiment and appeal for our characters like MvA did, it's more than I'll see coming.
And yes, it is hard to tell Which Dreamworks we're getting this week: Anyone who goes to see this movie hoping to find DW creating their New Artistic Awakening is still going to have the insult-to-injury of that MegaMind teaser rubbed into their face before the movie even starts. And serves them right. :P

What I'm complaining about is the CULT of Sanders. Yes: THE. CULT.
The cult that arose wayyy back in the Eisner era, when we all hoped and wished that Stitch would be the "messiah" that would lead the revolution against Evil Eisner, Evil Disney and Their Evil Formulaic Cuteness, and a lot of other buzzword complaints that we didn't quite know what to tie into except to blame it all on "Home on the Range" again.
But I'm inclined to agree with a lot of the opinions expressed on the Guild blog, from those who had worked with him and seen the "lost" tests to his only other film: Sanders was undisciplined as a storyteller, the tests for American Dog were, quote, "a painful mess", and, in more than a few expressed opinions, "Dean Deblois('s ability to keep a story focused) was the best thing that ever happened to Sanders' career."
Even in animation, there is such a thing as a One-Hit Wonder.

Now, we have Deblois on this picture too, so we'll probably get the same balance we mythically got with L&S. (Which I happened to think was also an unfocused first draft that could've used one more going-over to find its compass.)
And I've read the reviews, which seem to have more praise for the 3-D visuals than the plot, and not to be alarmist, but where have we heard THAT before?

But the praise began from minute One that Sanders was announced that he would bless the project with his holy countenance, which suggests that audiences are rushing to hope to see a film they saw eight years ago, in the hopes they'll feel the same way they wanted to eight years ago. (And maybe you haven't read the headlines, but the man you're going to see this movie to get back at is GONE.)
Frankly, I'm not as nostalgic and I'd rather see what storytelling somebody can deliver in my face today.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 25th, 2010, 5:58 am

Ummm, why do you have to write exrtremely long paragraphs all the time? It tires my eyes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 25th, 2010, 6:05 am

Well, I've read the production history on American Dog and yeah, that could have been a flawed film in the end (though I did like Bolt). And Lasseter does have a tradition of taking poor projects and turning them around (Tinker Bell not withstanding, I saw the snippet of the earlier Toy Story on the new Blu-Ray and man, that was awful to watch).

With that said, I always look forward to a director's follow-up, if I really liked his previous work, in animation or other-wise, and Dragon is no exception.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 25th, 2010, 1:02 pm

Sunday wrote:
CGIFanatic wrote:Why do you suppose that is?
Perhaps that feeling originates from the contingent who *know* animation peaked around 1940. :P

I can't comment on Dragon; however, Dreamworks' output overall has been hit-and-miss enough for me to not hold out any hope for an animation masterpiece in future titles. At best I expect a nicely polished and entertaining ride.
The only thing I agree with is the part in bold, everything else is the same old rambling which can be seen on the Brew and other places. Who said anything about this being a masterpiece? All I'm expecting is to have a little fun and to be entertained for one to two hours and that is all. If you go into theaters expecting to see masterpieces then I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed most of the time. I think like my grandpa some people around here prefer to dwell on the good things done in the past and expect the worst in the future, IMO that is a sad way to view things.