How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by EricJ » March 25th, 2010, 1:26 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:I think like my grandpa, you, EricJ and others prefer to dwell on all the good things done in the past and expect the worst in the future, IMO that is a sad way to view things.
Ah: So, yes, ladies and gentlemen, anyone who might not actually, y'know, like the Movie Some People Really, Really Want to See Because a Really, Really Cool Guy Directed It And We Were Waiting For Him to Keep Changing The World Like He Was Going To Last Time, is because they're really afraid of such bold progress, you see, cowered in fear at such brave, future-thinking attempt to bring mankind's art into the 21st Century, and grumbled at those new horseless buggies and flying machines.

(Get used to it, people, you're going to hear a LOT of this fanboy issue-spinning the more that other people try to rationally judge whether the actual 90 onscreen minutes is all its cracked up to be for the $10+$3 glasses-charge, like any other mere mortal film at the cineplex.
At least not yet to the point where the fans start leaping on infidel detractors with swords and shouting "Li-looo!" like the cultists from "Help!")

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 25th, 2010, 1:37 pm

EricJ wrote: At least not yet to the point where the fans start leaping on infidel detractors with swords and shouting "Li-looo!" like the cultists from "Help!")
:lol: I'm sorry, but even though I'm exactly the kind of fanboy you're criticising, I found that absolutely hilarious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 25th, 2010, 1:55 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:The only thing I agree with is the part in bold, everything else is the same old rambling which can be seen on the Brew and other places. Who said anything about this being a masterpiece? All I'm expecting is to have a little fun and to be entertained for one to two hours and that is all. If you go into theaters expecting to see masterpieces then I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed most of the time. I think like my grandpa some people around here prefer to dwell on the good things done in the past and expect the worst in the future, IMO that is a sad way to view things.
Aw, you must have missed the last line in my post, too, but that would be more common ground than I guess you'd like right now :(

True, I hope for masterpieces regardless of the art I view/listen to/participate in. I don't expect it, but I do - by golly - HOPE for it! Nothing wrong with always looking for a little more from one's commercial art.

What irks me more is the notion anyone who holds a middling or less-than-stellar view of Dreamworks' line-up must have it in for the company or a desire to see them fail. Of their films I only *really* enjoy Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt, some of Antz, and some of the Shrek series (I also thought Shrek 2 did a bang-up job elaborating on the story and wit of the first). Just about everything else I find rather plain or "entertainment lite" and hardly anything really engaging. Based on what I want out of film in general, then, I find Dreamworks hasn't delivered all that well. Oh wait, lemme' check the Brew and see what I'm supposed to say.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 25th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Sunday wrote:Of their films I only *really* enjoy Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt, some of Antz, and some of the Shrek series (I also thought Shrek 2 did a bang-up job elaborating on the story and wit of the first). Just about everything else I find rather plain or "entertainment lite" and hardly anything really engaging. Based on what I want out of film in general, then, I find Dreamworks hasn't delivered all that well.
I remember on one other board, back during the days of "Road to El Dorado", "Spirit" and the first Shrek, we had a diehard DW defender (or "Balloonatic", as some Guild posts have taken to calling them, to combat the name-calling of "Pixie" Lasseter defenders), who stubbornly claimed that Dreamworks could DO NO WRONG, on literally no other basis that they were the studio that gave us Prince of Egypt, and might again someday.
(Insert "Kung Fu Panda", and things haven't changed that much.)

It was futile to explain that the two directors who'd made PoE and the Joseph video had only made those two movies for the studio and had moved on; as long as there was that one movie on the studio's resume, all was rosy and reputations could be defended.
I've often wondered where that fan is today, so I could go and tell her at which studio Brenda Chapman is currently working now, and which films Steve Hickner and Simon Wells each eventually went on to make. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 25th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Sunday wrote:
CGIFanatic wrote:The only thing I agree with is the part in bold, everything else is the same old rambling which can be seen on the Brew and other places. Who said anything about this being a masterpiece? All I'm expecting is to have a little fun and to be entertained for one to two hours and that is all. If you go into theaters expecting to see masterpieces then I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed most of the time. I think like my grandpa some people around here prefer to dwell on the good things done in the past and expect the worst in the future, IMO that is a sad way to view things.
Aw, you must have missed the last line in my post, too, but that would be more common ground than I guess you'd like right now :(

True, I hope for masterpieces regardless of the art I view/listen to/participate in. I don't expect it, but I do - by golly - HOPE for it! Nothing wrong with always looking for a little more from one's commercial art.

What irks me more is the notion anyone who holds a middling or less-than-stellar view of Dreamworks' line-up must have it in for the company or a desire to see them fail. Of their films I only *really* enjoy Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt, some of Antz, and some of the Shrek series (I also thought Shrek 2 did a bang-up job elaborating on the story and wit of the first). Just about everything else I find rather plain or "entertainment lite" and hardly anything really engaging. Based on what I want out of film in general, then, I find Dreamworks hasn't delivered all that well. Oh wait, lemme' check the Brew and see what I'm supposed to say.
You said in your prior post: At best I expect a nicely polished and entertaining ride.

And I say I'd be perfectly happy with that but if it's more then great...I don't dwell much on the last Big Mac and Ice Cream that I ate but if you want to savor it as if its a filet mignon then by all means go for it. All studios nowadays forego the art and look for the next quick buck they can make and that includes some of the best studios (even the ones you prefer).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 26th, 2010, 10:01 am

I'm literally sitting in the theatre now -- look for the AV review this weekend.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by James » March 26th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Ben wrote:The problem is, as James once said in a review a while back, one never knows which DreamWorks you're going to see in a new movie.
The good DreamWorks showed up...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to the full review.
Last edited by Sunday on March 26th, 2010, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by Dacey » March 26th, 2010, 3:09 pm

The good DreamWorks showed up...
Did they ever! I'd say that this one was almost as good as "Kung Fu Panda." Everyone go see!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 26th, 2010, 4:26 pm

On a side note, today starts the Happy Meal promotion at McDonalds:
Dragon McDonald toys.jpg
Dragon McDonald toys.jpg (276.68 KiB) Viewed 7626 times
They look nice, probably just end up getting the two Toothless versions, though. Wonder if the UK's will be different.

Anxious to see Dragon... looks like it's going to be special. I'm already in love with Toothless. Looks a little like Stitch, though behaves more Stitch-y. With so much already on my plate it will be a while until I get to see it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 26th, 2010, 6:05 pm

Probably see it over the weekend, but...can we put a jar on the board, for everyone to put a dollar in when they can't review the movie without using the word "Stitch"? :P
Last edited by EricJ on March 26th, 2010, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 26th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Just came from seeing it and this is definitely Prince of Egypt-level of quality, not Madagascar or Shark Tale.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Woah! Now I'm really intrigued and may actually have to go see this not only in a theater, but in...wait for it...three-dee! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 26th, 2010, 7:35 pm

For the first time ever I skipped the 3D animated version of a film and went for the regular version. I was a big proponent of it for a few years but after seeing Up in 3D then a week later seeing it without I have to now say sometimes the regular version is the way to go.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 26th, 2010, 8:18 pm

My smaller six-screen cinema just got a 3-D screen and that was the only option for How to Train Your Dragon, which only cost a $9 admission, which is cheaper than a 2-D ticket at the bigger multiplex I go to at times.

So, in my case, it's actually cheaper to see the 3-D version on opening weekend than the 2-D version.