How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 26th, 2010, 8:43 pm

I'm kind of annoyed. The theaters around me are only showing the movie in 3D for some reason. That wouldn't be a big deal to me, but my friend who is going with me wears glasses, and the 3D effect doesn't really work for her.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by LotsoA113 » March 26th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Just saw it..WOW!!! PIXAR may have some actually competition for that Animated Feature Oscar come February. I'll have a more informational review sometime over the weekend.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Just got back from seeing a 2D showing and really enjoyed it! Almost brought a tear to me eye in parts. :) Great opening sequence, too. If anything, Hiccup's voice and demeanor was a bit grating for a while, but hey... that's the character, and it provides the needed contrast which so much of the story revolves around.

Oh and Eric, you shoul-StitchStitchStitchStitchStitch

...and that's a very good thing!

edit: probably wouldn't put this in the same boat as PoE, as estefan mentioned. That one had pathos, this has more of an all-around sweetness, though it carries its story just as proud.
Last edited by Sunday on March 26th, 2010, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Saw it in 3-D today, and while I am usually not a fan of 3-D (it didn't even do anything for me in Avatar), I would actually recommend seeing this in the format, as I do think it adds to the scale and depth of the overall visual impact. Especially in those action scenes and the ending sequence! That aside though, I loved the movie, probably my favorite DW flick since PoE (and heck, I might even enjoy it a little more). Really, really solid film, and I hope DreamWorks continues to make more films like this. This could give Toy Story 3 a run for it's money come Oscar time!

Oh, and the 3-D in the trailer for Legend of the Guardians was embarrassingly awful. Anyone else notice that?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 26th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Good to hear that DreamWorks appears to have hit a homerun with this movie. Although I was hoping that Tangled wouldn't have as much competition for the Academy Award next year. I really want Disney to win that blasted thing at least once. LOL. I plan on seeing this in the coming weeks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 27th, 2010, 1:54 am

Gotta say that I did enjoy HTTYD very much. :)

But ..

(much 'spoilage' hidden here)
I was extremely surprised -- and a bit disappointed -- that the 'Queen Dragon' was ultimately killed.

Especially since that entire action-packed finale sequence was preceded by Hiccup's proclamation to Astrid that he couldn't kill a dragon.

Right up until that final plunge, I'd assumed Hiccup's 'plan' had been to cripple the Queen Dragon, in much the same fashion as he'd (accidentally) done with Toothless.
Still, as I said, there was much to enjoy, here .. and DreamWorks should make a hatful of money with this movie.

Which -- at US$17 per ticket (in Burbank, anyway) -- shouldn't be too difficult.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 27th, 2010, 6:26 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 27th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Glad to hear. Nice review James! I think it's easily one of DW's best and it actually has to be one of my favorite animated films. Everyone should go see it. It's amazing.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 27th, 2010, 7:35 pm

I just read the review. I had NO idea John Powell was doing the music. That makes me even more excited (John Powell is awesome).

Seeing it tomorrow. can't wait.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 27th, 2010, 7:49 pm

God. I couldn't help it. I saw it again a few hours ago. Both times were in 3D...MAN!! This is one of those films you HAVE to see in 3D. It just feels so real. Glad they avoided the whole pop-out thing. Best of all, there was good voice acting, animation AND story to boot. Don't get much better than that, do it? :)

And yes, John Powell does another great score. Love the use of bagpipes like Han ZImmer did in Sherlock Holmes. The score really felt good with the story.

Shame it's getting bad box office. But that isn't an indication of a bad film (i.e. Flushed Away, Titan A.E.), now is it?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 27th, 2010, 8:50 pm

How is the box-office doing badly? It's done about as well as Monsters vs Aliens and Horton Hears a Who did on their first day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 27th, 2010, 8:59 pm

That's a pretty good amount Lotso..average or better I might say. More will be made over the weekend. Don't worry.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 27th, 2010, 9:38 pm

estefan wrote:How is the box-office doing badly? It's done about as well as Monsters vs Aliens and Horton Hears a Who did on their first day.
Well, by my standards it's doing GREAT!! Dragon films are usually poison at the box office. Wall Street though is gonna be mad because it should have beat Kung Fu Panda. I don't think that's real fair, since that opened in June and this one in March. Still, if a few angry bankers is what it takes to get a film this good made then I'm gonna go insult a few bankers..

By and by, if it DOES break 45 million (which it will), then that's A-OK in my opinion. Better than Shark Tale, Bee Movie and Ice Age 1.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 27th, 2010, 10:01 pm

If it doesn't do well it'll probably be because the title only appeals to boys. Look for Megamind to be renamed to Pretty, Pretty Princessmind

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 27th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Or perhaps....

MEGAMAID!!!