How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 5th, 2010, 3:04 pm

The Grammys have a weird calendar. Not saying Dragon didn't overlooked. Just that you need to actually check their calendar to find out since it is not based on calendar years.

American_dog_2008

Re: How to Train your Dragon

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 8th, 2010, 11:08 am

I just got How to Train Your Dragon as a Birthday present.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 31st, 2010, 2:08 am

Finally watched this on Blu-ray tonight.

Outstanding film!! My jaw dropped, my eyes welled with tears, I actually even audibly gasped near the end. I couldn't believe this was a DreamWorks film (as much as I loved Kung Fu Panda). It had its own style and its own energy, and I truly loved it.

Just a few days ago, I also went to see MegaMind, and was very impressed. It was both fun and funny, and had some great animation. The only mis-step was the trademark song/dance at the end. (Yuck!) Other than that...

DreamWorks to Pixar: "Game on."

And Sony and Universal ain't far behind, either.

Despite whatever problems the industry may have, this is the new Golden Age for animation fans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » December 31st, 2010, 10:34 am

I just wished more people wanted to watch this movie earlier :C
Anyway, glad you watched a fantastic piece of art! <3
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm

But people did see it earlier, Eli...otherwise DreamWorks wouldn't have greenlit seven sequels. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » December 31st, 2010, 7:50 pm

I meant people being reluctant to see it for the most part. Needed to clear that up :D
I would understand certain things can get in the way of seeing the movie, work, other things, ect. But mainly reluctant, not that I am saying that you,Randall, were reluctant. haha
Last edited by ELIOLI on December 31st, 2010, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 31st, 2010, 8:39 pm

Well, I was reluctant, probably... at least initially before all the good word of mouth. I'm just not into dragons and mythology, generally, so the subject matter biased me against it. Plus, I expected a Shrek-like goofy film, only to be surprised to hear all the praise for it. I only see a few flicks per year at the theatre, actually, so it's not really a slam against a film if I missed it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » January 1st, 2011, 11:35 am

Ah ok. Well, then yes, that is what I meant mostly. Oh well, you saw it anyway! haha

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 9th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Related to DreamWorks: speculation on a future distributor (end of Paramount deal approaching) and possibly even a buyer:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ction.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2011, 1:59 pm

A sale of DreamWorks has been on the cards for a while now. My bet is that Warners would probably be quite interested, even if I wouldn't mind seeing it go to Disney simply because most of the people there are Disney folks.

Maybe Paramount would just buy it outright...maybe JK will just keep it going. But if it was sold, it would free them up from doing Shrek/Panda/Dragon 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...yawn, as the only reason they do those films is to keep the money rolling in to make the one or two other risky/offbeat pictures.

My guess is that I wouldn't be surprised to see DWs remain under its own steam, but maybe to join its live-action sibling cousin and pay that fee to Disney instead. Might be a sting to JK, but he's proved himself, and the Disney of today is a much different place to the one he was kicked out from. And he's been getting awfully cosy in recent DVD supplements from the mouse company...Waking Sleeping Beauty was almost a love-letter to his managing days at Disney Feature Animation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 11th, 2011, 8:01 am

I don't see what's wrong with sticking with Paramount. One of the things I think is great about this modern era of feature animation is that now every one of the six major studios has their own animation studio:

Disney - has their own in addition to Pixar and their distribution deal with Studio Ghibli
Fox - Blue Sky Studios
Paramount - DreamWorks Animation and Nickelodeon Movies
Universal - Illumination Entertainment
Columbia - Sony Animation and Aardman
Warner Brothers - Animal Logic (though, WB should also have their own in-house studio)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2011, 11:50 pm

estefan wrote:I don't see what's wrong with sticking with Paramount.
...apart from them potentially asking for a bigger fee, or even not being interested in picking up the DreamWorks option (remember the live-action company skipped to Disney, and there could be some hard feeling from the Mountain).

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 6th, 2011, 12:28 pm

And here are the results of Annie Awards!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_sto ... minations/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 6th, 2011, 4:55 pm

No surprise there :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 6th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Couldn't you have at least linked to our story?

;)