Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2007, 4:06 pm

I agree that the 1960s saw a frizz of energy going on at Disney's. Despite what many - and Walt initially - felt, I like the Xerox look...though The Sword In The Stone did not suit this style, I couldn't imagine One Hundred And One Dalmatians looking anything but rough and edgy, and it's what gives The Jungle Book and many of the 1960s shorts their pure fizz.

Winnie The Pooh needed that look. It literally looks like illustration come to life, not and animated drawing. And the 1960s allowed the artists to play...after proving themselves and churning out great movie after movie, they played with the art. I would argue that the animated portions in Bedknobs And Broomsticks work better <I>technically</I> than those in Mary Poppins, where again the Xerox look doesn't quite feel lush enough, but even then they're supposed to be in a chalk painting, which envelopes any shortcomings.

So I would certainly place 1961-1968 in there as a "best of", where new things were tried and classics made.

Yep, I feel Cook is a good dude...he's worked his way up and seen the "magic" from all angles. He knows what he's doing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 27th, 2007, 1:06 am

Agreed about Cook. I really should try to email him soon.
Animated News wrote:TV Shows on DVD writes that Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic will contain three episodes of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, including "The Golden Horseshoe Revue," "Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair" and "Disneyland Around the Seasons."
Sounds great, if only I knew what they were! I'm still on the fence for this one. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 29th, 2007, 5:11 am

Finally came to a conclusion... I'm getting the Disneyland set! Why? DVD Talks' reviews helped a bit. Here's the reviews for all three: Disneyland, Oswald, Donald. Now, the screenshots don't look great, but I'm hoping because they were resized (?) they will look better in person.

Regarding Oswald, seems 'The Disney Store' has an exclusive plushie for the little rabbit. (Scroll down a bit) Gah, I wish I had one near me! :( Hopefully I'll be able to visit one soon, I would love to get him.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2007, 8:23 pm

Lovely, thanks Dan!

Yep, wouldn't worry about those screen caps - they have been shrunken down without proper scaling...the final releases will be much smoother.

Wow...nice sounding! Now where are <I>our</I> copies!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 1st, 2007, 10:40 pm

Will you be reviewing all three?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 1st, 2007, 11:23 pm

We expect to cover all 3 releases,. We haven't received our copies yet. Ben'll take a couple, and I'll do Donald, I think. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 2nd, 2007, 6:11 pm

Daniel wrote:Agreed about Cook. I really should try to email him soon.
Animated News wrote:TV Shows on DVD writes that Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic will contain three episodes of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, including "The Golden Horseshoe Revue," "Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair" and "Disneyland Around the Seasons."
Sounds great, if only I knew what they were! I'm still on the fence for this one. :?
These all used to show on Vault Disney (back in those innocent pre-HSM Disney Channel days)--
The World's Fair episodes show the grand ribbon-cutting for the Skyway and It's a Small World (and a glimpse of 1964-era character costumes), which puts it up there with the Pirates and Tiki "archive" Disneyland episodes.

Disk 1 looks like it's going to be that 50th-Anniversary souvenir DVD that mysteriously disappeared off the radar three years ago, which, looking back at previous Song of the South discussions, reminds me:

One of the other Bermuda Triangle off-the-radar "disappearances" for DisneyDVD was that bare-bones Gold edition of "So Dear To My Heart" that never surfaced...
If Dick Cook was perchance planning to aim SotS as a "collector's" Disney Treasure set, and trying to stretch content out to fit the "2-disk" Treasures image, I have an intuitive guess we may find out what happened to the SDtMH they couldn't give away as a solo disk.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 3rd, 2007, 7:45 am

I think I've made that point on a few occasions (admittedly before you joined us Eric). Yep, look for the two movies to come out as companions whenever SOTS hits DVD.

Yep, the Disneyland doc is a revised edition of what we should have gotten for the 50th, combined with another Disney anthology/theme part set.

I've very excited to be reviewing this and Oswald whenever they come in. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 3rd, 2007, 3:27 pm

Great! :) They'll hold me over 'till Christmas, when I'll (hopefully) get all three myself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 8th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Check out this thread for a little info on the future of the Treasures. Not much, but its great getting confirmation again that another wave has been greenlit! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 3rd, 2008, 10:38 pm

Got Donald V3 and Oswald for Christmas!! Unfortunetely, my mum couldn't find the Disneyland set anywhere, so that's kind of bummer. :(

Anywho, so far I've seen about seven of the Oswald shorts. All I can say is WOW! Was expecting them to look there age, but to my surprise they look very clean - almost as if they were made yesterday!

With the actual toons themselves, I've found them highly enjoyable and darn cute! I love Oswald now and I'm so happy us collectors can finally own a part of history.

Btw, who else loves the free pin included!? I've been wearing it on and off, to show my support for the little lucky rabbit -- and of course, to bring him up in conversations. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2008, 9:06 am

Did you check out the excellent documentary yet? And if you like that, jump out and add Frank & Ollie and Walt: Man Behind The Myth to your wish list! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Nope, not yet - working myself up with the toons' first! :)

Funny thing, I actually do own those Doc's, but on DVD-R's; from VHS copies I had. So my question, do the official DVD's offer anything more that's worth buying? Aside from a better picture. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2008, 4:19 pm

OMG! YES!!

Frank & Ollie offers up a true widescreen image and about as much extra material as the film in length, while Walt: The Man Behind The Myth packs in as much again, with extended interviews, priceless home movie footage and...

Oh, wait...read for yourself:

http://animated-views.com/2003/frank-an ... l-edition/

http://animated-views.com/2004/walt-the ... -the-myth/

BOTH are very recommended, and as you'll read, the Walt VHS and DVD differ in many ways (not least the running time and editing) - it's worth having both.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Thanks, Ben! Didn't expect either of them to have anything in the bonus material department, but considering the lengths, I'm sold!

Good reviews too, enjoyed all the screenshots you provided for the menus and such. With what you just posted and your review, I'll likely keep the DVD-R I made of Walt since it does sound like its worth keeping - and the bonus features for that sound incredible, so I'm very eager to see them.

So yeah, their now on my wish list. :)