Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 21st, 2006, 9:13 pm

I guess we'll see how many of the Disney Oswald shorts survived.

My curiosity alone is enough to drive me to buy this disc set.

And I'm NOT a big fan of silent animation.

Oh, I don't mind B & W -- some things are BETTER in B & W (horror, film noir, some period pieces, etc.) --, but not having sound/audio dialogue really bugs me.

And no, music sound tracks don't count as a true film soundtrack in my opinion. You need audible dialogue for that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 22nd, 2006, 6:46 am

I wasn't sure where to post this; it's just a really funny story from TAG (posted by "Anonymous") about a certain DTV film and its relation to its classic forebearer:

To let you know how clueless the execs were re: the sequels..? One bigshot, having just watched "Scamp's Adventure" in story reel form after a year of production, gave as his big note: why had "that song in the dog pound" been cut from the film? The director/producers were baffled. there was no such song in their sequel. He persisted: "You know--the one the sexy dog sings to the girl dog?"
"You mean--the Peggy Lee number? 'He's a Tramp'?"
"YEAH! Where's that? That was great!"
The "creatives" had the unenviable task of telling the Super-VP that that truly great number was in the original, 1953 version of the film...not in their low-budget video sequel. It didn't faze him. He really saw that little difference. Which was the whole, horrible problem right there in a nutshell. Thank goodness those days are over.

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 22nd, 2006, 1:50 pm

Here's some more on Oswald:

www.cartoonbrew.com

BTW Kinoo, your site looks great! And I'm taking French again next semester so I'll use it as an aid. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » November 23rd, 2006, 10:13 am

Those merchendise shown on CartoonBrew are so classy! Please do more like those with all the catalog!

Thanks for your comment Shyviolet, very mucha appreciated ;)
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 5:43 pm

With the re-release of Robin Hood I thought this was cool! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2006, 6:08 pm

That's pretty sweet, and nicely done at the end, for what it was. I love Eisner talking it up to the audience after he previously criticised the 1970s features for being too episodic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Yeah, I liked it too. I wish they'd put up the Honey I Shrunk the Kids one.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Also, anyone remember this opening from 1990? :)

That intro with Eisner is a bit, uh, disturbing! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Ahhh, I used to love those compilations!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 30th, 2006, 10:47 pm

This is the one I remember best. It was always on Sunday mornings.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2006, 12:18 am

OMG!! I haven't seen that in <I>years</I>!

I love that opening Mickey morphing going on...very nice. And one thing that gets overlooked is the music - that's a pretty cool medley of classic Disney hits right there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 1st, 2006, 6:28 pm

I don't mean to keep posting Eisner intros but THIS one is just...priceless. :P :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2006, 8:10 pm

Ahhh, the proper Muppet logo!

I actually have this whole thing on tape. It was from when the Disney-Henson negotiations were very much full on and The Muppets going to Disney was then a dead-cert.

I only wish that had gone through - I'd bet that we'd have a <I>VERY</I> different looking Disney today if Micheal Eisner had gotten the Muppets back then. Part of the reason of their decline was the bad decision to step away from that deal and have them end up at EM.TV that didn't know what the heck to do with them at all.

Even if things had happened the way they did with Jim dying, the Muppets would have been able to build on the momentum they had in that clip and probably wouldn't have vanished from view.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 1st, 2006, 8:46 pm

Notice he forgot to say: "I'm Michael Eisner." :wink:

I think this was when he was at the height of his "good guy" perception in the press/media that began in the 80s, especially since "he bought the Muppets."

Then in 1991 or so, with EuroDisney and everything else, the whole "arrogant/egomaniac" image began to take shape. Not saying he was or wasn't like that in real life, just how he was perceived.

But what a bummer that the deal didn't go through. :(

I used to want Disney Channel sooooooooo bad 'cause they used to show Fraggle Rock reruns. :?

I think Muppet Christmas Carol and Treasure Island were good, and I have a soft spot for Muppets from Space (which cracks me up).

But it kinda seems like they're...fading away.

BTW, no offense to anyone who liked it, but I thought Muppets Tonight! was one of the worst things to ever air on television. :roll:

Even if things had happened the way they did with Jim dying
I actually believe that even though he technically wasn't a Disney guy, Jim Henson was in a way just as important to the company--he was close with Eisner and IMO sort of kept him more mellow and less....corporate. Eisner admired his childlike innocennce and enthusiasm for life and creativity. I think it influenced him in many ways.

I think his death alone was, although perhaps not equal to Frank Wells' death in its direct affect, was an integral part of the whole "decline" of the Eisner/super-successful Disney combo.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 2nd, 2006, 11:00 am

Imagine if it had gone through now with Jim around...he'd have a seat on the Disney board, probably!

Such a loss. :(