Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 27th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Those are the exact questions, I'm wondering myself, Ben.

I can hardly wait for something "official" than I'll be jumping for joy! :D

True, true. You, me, and practically every fan of the Treasures, showed just how much they care for this series.

Made a difference we did! :P :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 30th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Just checked my email, and got this from Disney! :)
Daniel,
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Walt Disney Treasures Collection. We value your interest in Walt Disney Home Entertainment.

Reports that the Walt Disney Treasures collection have been cancelled are inaccurate.

The next wave of Walt Disney Treasures are currently in development. Please check http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/disneytreasures/ <http> for updates and details about the next wave of this beloved collection.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email.
You may also contact us at (800) 723-4763 (Canada: 888 877-2843), Monday 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

Sincerely,
Walt Disney Home Entertainment Consumer Relations US and Canada
Ah! Now all we need is confirmation from Leonard himself. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 31st, 2007, 8:57 am

Yay!

I sent an email too, but haven't gotten that reply. Keep it - in case they change their minds!! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 31st, 2007, 4:20 pm

Roger that! :)

Btw, I just went over to UD, and there's a mixed bag of news on the front page.

First, the bad news.
Ultimate Disney wrote:January 31, 2007 - The month of January has been a very confusing one for Disney fans who collect the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs . What began with many enjoying the four sets of the series' sixth and most recent wave gave way to disappointment and outcry when Treasures host/producer Leonard Maltin made it known that the line was coming to an unexpected and abrupt end. Some of the informed public responded by calling Disney's customer service line or sending e-mails and letters. Then, last Friday, one of the Internet's oldest and most popular DVD websites -- The Digital Bits -- reported that sources at Buena Vista Home Entertainment confirmed that the Treasures were alive and well, with at least two more waves being developed. This has been supported by information given over e-mail, phone, and forum by Walt Disney Home Video's Customer Service representatives. Celebrating this seemingly happy ending, though, would appear to be premature. In an e-mail to UD sent this morning, Leonard Maltin claims, "All I can say is this: I was told the series was over, and no one at the Disney company has told me otherwise... I wish I could put this rumor about the Treasures to rest. I fear there is some heavy-duty wishful thinking at work here... but of course, I could be wrong."

For the moment, it would appear the fate of the collector-friendly series of rare, vintage Disney productions remains in question. We're continuing to seek answers, so feel free to await further news before firing off irate, befuddled messages to either Disney addresses or Mr. Maltin himself.
Ugh! :(

As if we needed more confusion!

I'm really starting to worry, now. There's just too many rumors, to know what the real story is.

Also, many suggested the message Disney sent, (which I posted) is most likely their way of shutting us up, and that they probably don't know what their talking about. :(

Here's the semi-good news.
Ultimate Disney wrote:Meanwhile, Leonard Maltin has also passed along to us some certain and positive news regarding the recently-released Treasures 'toon collection More Silly Symphonies . Walt Disney Home Video is preparing replacement discs for the set, which will correct three shortcomings free of charge. Due to an oversight, the volume lacked the main titles that were recreated to replace the originals discarded over fifty years ago. In addition, the wrong master elements were used on some color shorts and seconds of footage long cut from 1933's The Night Before Christmas have been located. Only the two discs (not the packaging) will be replaced and they likely won't be ready until March. We'll let you know how to proceed when they are.
Just when I thought my set was perfect. :? :(

Makes you wonder, how did they make this error? And how did they find lost footage, when they were just released! :roll:

Well, at least its free of charge!

EDIT: 3 - and now this... http://www.ultimatedisney.com/davebosse ... rview.html

:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2007, 9:28 am

I was going to mention this on the front page again, but I do feel there is some cross-talking going on here.

I'd bet that we see at least one final Treasures wave at least before they move into pushing the Legacy Collection instead.

Watch this space, as they say!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 1st, 2007, 3:35 pm

That's what I'm thinking as well. :?

Ugh, and earlier today I received an exact email, just like yesterdays! What are they doing?! As a fellow GAC member suggested, I replied to the email, and said "I was not satisfied with the response, and I would appreciate a clear answer", and so forth.

This is beyond ridiculous, and getting more irrating by the moment. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2007, 4:54 am

^ Eek, I remember that drama! Thank god that's over and done with. Anyway, yay for the treasures coming back!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know it took me like forever to post, but better late than never, right? ;) Its so cool, how AN got before everyone. How did Christian manage that? And I'm really relieved to know it wasn't an april fool, as I once consider when the news broke.

I'm just so happy were getting more Donald, and of course Oswald!

Oh, and this was just posted at Cartoonbrew;
It was announced late Friday and posted on several other websites since: the Walt Disney Treasures will go on. At least, for another year. This latest "wave" of releases are literally due to popular demand. Your voices were heard. In production for release on December 11th, 2007 are: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Chronological Donald, Volume 3
Disneyland: Stories, Secrets, and Magic
Leonard Maltin is back as host and producer. Each volume is a limited edition. Chronological Donald, Volume 3 features Duck cartoons from 1947 onward which, combined with the previously released two volumes, will complete our collection of every one of Donald's classic short films. Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic is a "comprehensive look at the "Happiest Place on Earth." The centerpiece is a new documentary with archival footage, including Walt's own words, as well as new interviews, that reveal the secrets behind one of the world's most famous destinations. The big prize in this group is the volume devoted to Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, Walt Disney's first animated star. Silent shorts made from 1926 to 1927 are revitalized with brand-new musical scores. This collection will also include Leslie Iwerks documentary about her grandfather Ub, The Hand Behind The Mouse.
See, we can make a difference! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2007, 8:27 am

THE HAND BEHIND THE MOUSE!

OH. MY. GOD.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just made my year!

This means all of Disney's "Golden Age" and/or achival documentaries (Reluctant Dragon, the 1950s TV shows, Frank & Ollie and Walt: Man Behind The Myth) are on disc. Great!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 5th, 2007, 9:30 am

Wow, that's terrific news about the Ub doc. This Oswald set will be great to have, and I'm so glad they're finishing up Donald. Practically all the classic Disney shorts will now be on Treasures, with a few exceptions. I was pleased that Figaro got onto the Pluto set, so maybe Chip & Dale could fit onto the Donald one?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2007, 7:36 pm

I think it would be possible, so it would be cool if they do!

And I'm glad the news made Bens year! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 6th, 2007, 8:47 am

It's a GREAT doc, Dan, and I can finally retire my VHS!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 7th, 2007, 5:50 am

It must be, to get that kind of reconition!

This will actually be my first time seeing, The Hand Behind The Mouse, so with you said, I'm really exited! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 7th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Groovy! I'm sure you'll love it. It's more along the "Walt" lines than "Frank And Ollie", but it feels like all three were cut from the same cloth.

There's a great companion book too, with the same title, that I also recommend.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 8th, 2007, 3:11 am

Heh, I probably will love it. :)

You know, I think I've actually seen it at the Library! I'll have to check, but if it is, I'll definetly check it out sometime soon!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 9th, 2007, 2:33 am

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but it looks very interesting:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/books/disneys-lost-chords

Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but a book review would make a cool article for Animated-Views! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!