Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 9th, 2007, 5:01 am

That would be interesting Vi,
If we could get our hands on a copy of it (only 1000 copies made and it's quite expensive as well)
I'm pretty sure someone would be willing to write something about it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 9th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Cool!

BUT...there's not a terrific explanation about this project anywhere out there. Is it <I>just</I> sheet music? Or analysis of the music covered as well (for instance, is there research on why these were cut, where they would be in their movies, etc)? And what's up with the status on a CD of demos? It seems a little grey area-ish to me...

And $75 for sheet music is a heck of a price to pay, however neat it might be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 9th, 2007, 6:51 pm

This has a little more info on what's inside.
http://disneybooks.blogspot.com/2007/01 ... raphy.html
accompanying the full vocal/piano sheet music arrangements of the songs are over 225 photos and illustrations, many of them appearing in book form for the first time, along with a text giving background on the songs and the films.
This picture shows some pages of the book as well as some sheetmusic
http://disneybooks.blogspot.com/2007/01 ... oming.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 27th, 2007, 3:43 pm

New info on the Treasures from Maltin's website!
I'm also on deadline for a new wave of Walt Disney Treasures. Last year the folks at Walt Disney Home Video had assured me that our series was over. Naturally I was disappointed, but I could scarcely complain, having had a successful six-year run. Then, just a short time ago, they decided that the Treasures would be a natural outlet for two projects that were already in the pipeline: the first-ever collection of Walt Disney's silent Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit cartoons, with newly-commissioned music scores by Robert Israel, and a new feature-length documentary about Disneyland prepared for the park's 50th anniversary. Oswald will be accompanied by Leslie Iwerks' feature about her grandfather Ub, The Hand Behind the Mouse, and the Disneyland doc will be supplemented by a number of vintage shorts and TV shows about the park - including some genuine rarities. Add to that Volume 3 of The Chronological Donald [Duck, that is] and you have our three newest volumes, which will be released on December 11. More details to come.
The Disneyland doc is starting to sound interesting! :)

GeorgeC

Silly Symphonies Volume 2 disc exchange program..

Post by GeorgeC » August 15th, 2007, 7:50 am

From LeonardMaltin.com :

"At least one sharp-eyed viewer also noticed a subtle edit in the 1932 cartoon The Night Before Christmas. It consists of a seven-second cameo appearance by Amos and Andy in toy form, participating in a parade of Santa Claus’s goodies. This footage was removed at some point, for the sake of political correctness, but no one in the Disney archives could identify when, nor could they locate the missing material. Fortunately, I remembered that this was one of the first Disney cartoons donated by Walt himself to the Museum of Modern Art Film Library , decades ago. I’d seen the 35mm Technicolor nitrate print projected there on more than one occasion. Luckily for us, archivist Peter Williamson at MoMA was willing and able to help out. The fragile print was copied, then integrated into the Disney video master and color-corrected so that the addition would be seamless.

Now, finally, the good news: anyone who purchased the More Silly Symphonies, Volume 2 DVD set can obtain replacement discs with all of these errors corrected. Simply call 1-800-723-4763 in the U.S. or 1-888-877-2843 in Canada . You will receive replacement discs, not replacement packaging, so please hold on to your current packaging. I am glad that the folks at Walt Disney Home Video committed itself to set things right in this manner...and they have put safeguards in place to see that this kind of problem doesn’t occur on the next three Walt Disney Treasures coming out in December."

There you have it! Disney will make good on exchanging the proper discs for the set.

Thanks to Leonard Maltin for posting how and where to get exchange information.

Remember, save the packaging, but send in the discs to the address the Disney operators tell you to!

Thanks to the fellows at Quick Stop Entertainment for point out the link at LeonardMaltin.com...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2007, 10:47 am

Excellent...they even respected the True Life Adventure disc replacements and sent them to me in England. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cpdavison » August 23rd, 2007, 10:53 am

I just sent my discs out yesterday via their prepaid mailing label program. How great is it that this company is making good on fixing these glitches?

(Hiya, George et al! First post here...)

Craig D.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 23rd, 2007, 2:07 pm

Nice to see you here, too!

I haven't even looked at ANY of my Disney Treasures since at least Wave 3!

I'm way, way behind in DVD viewing.

If I get off my butt, I'll probably look into the DVD exchange, too. Lately, I've been busy figuring out how to do home-made DVDs and getting old programs on LD and VHS transferred to DVD-R. I've been finding that it's actually more time-consuming to scan in old sleeve art than it is to author and burn DVDs!

I'm finding that I have to scan in LD sleeves EIGHT times (4 per side) to capture all the art and text IF I want to archive the sleeves somewhere on the DVD. With all the compositing, color correction and brightness balancing, it generally takes me over an hour per LD sleeve to save them in digital picture format properly!

(The good thing is that my scanner runs at a decent scan speed. I am wishing, however, that I got more memory for my computer. I really don't think 512 MB is enough anymore. I'm already considering just maxing out my memory to the full 1.5GB RAM that it can handle.)

I'd almost break down and buy a scanner bigger than 8.5 X 11.7 inches but the cost of those things ($800+ if you can even find one that's USB AND supports your OS -- most of them are SCSI-based and DON'T run on the newest OS's) is just ridiculous. Just like Wacom Cintiq's (the new touchscreens that are supposedly better than the old touch tablets Wacom still sells), the expense of nonstandard technology is so outrageous you just buckle up and stick with what you've got.

I just got an e-mail from Wacom about the Cintiq but there's no way I can afford the thing with my casual artwork. Wacom wants $2500 for the thing! For that amount, I might as well as buy a new computer. I can buy even an Apple Duo-Core Macintsh for as much I'd pay for a Cintiq! The other thing about the Cintiq is that the level of sensitivity is not better than a standard USB tablet. You're still at 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. Unless the sensitivity gets better, it'll feel like a standard USB tablet.

I noticed a difference moving from my old ADB tablet to the USB-based tablet I got on my new computer (512 to 1024 levels of sensitivity), but I don't think a Cintiq would be worth it unless Wacom cranks up the sensitity again. No question the USB upgrade was worth it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cpdavison » August 27th, 2007, 4:21 pm

I hope they turn these discs around quickly! My daughter started asking to watch "the dancing flowers" cartoon this past weekend and I couldn't give her a satisfactory explanation as to why we couldn't watch it. (Instead, I pulled out a similar Terrytoon and hoped that my sleight-of-cartoon would work. It did, after a fashion...)

As far as transferring cartoons from VHS-to-DVD-R, I feel your pain! Going deck-to-deck is so darned tedious! The only time I can do this is once the above-mentioned 3-1/2 year old daughter is in bed. By THAT time, there's a very good chance that I'll fall asleep in the middle of a cartoon and ruin any hope of indexing the menu.

I bought an old iMac the any eye toward actually EDITING and creating actual DVD-like programs, but the budget and other factors have delayed bringing this plan to fruition, thus far...

Cheers!

Craig D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 28th, 2007, 2:37 am

Here's the cover arts for the three upcoming treasures: (thanks to UD!)

Very nice! :) Although, I wonder why the Oswald set is gold. Not that I don't like it or anything, its just weired, and would look kinda tacky next to the other waves.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the True Life situation, but than why would Donald be silver?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2007, 5:52 am

Donald being silver makes perfect sense to blend in with the previous Donald volumes.

Oswald looks like a gold holdover from the Legacy line, though I thought he was actually pale blue before and it was DisneyLand that was gold...?

Nevertheless, they should all be silver, really...but as long as we get 'em, that's what's important!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2007, 6:03 am

Welcome Craig...always nice to see another classic animation aficionado jump on board! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cpdavison » August 28th, 2007, 11:49 am

Ben wrote:Welcome Craig...always nice to see another classic animation aficionado jump on board! :)
Thanks, Ben!

GeorgeC had recommended this board to me some time ago and I'm only NOW coming 'round to check it out. Well, slow and steady wins the race, right?

Craig D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 29th, 2007, 3:53 am

Oops, I meant the DisneyLand set earlier, not Donald! :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 30th, 2007, 3:22 am

Thanks to this post, you can see better pics of all three covers.

Donald's my favorite!