Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2007, 3:23 am

Great article, Ben! I absolutly loved everything about it, and couldn't have said it better myself! :)

Btw, I think its great you've been putting reminders for the past two updates. Hopefully, with this much attention, we can undo this wrong before its to late! :P

Here's an update on what I've been doing.

-I've spread the word, to family and friends

-wrote an email to Dick Cook.

-wrote a new letter to Disney.

Time is slowly running out. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 21st, 2007, 6:15 pm

Those jerks really only have themselves to blame for the situation! There's only so much those of us over 30 can do to evangelize about the old TV series and animation SINCE THEY'RE NOT SHOWING MOST OF THIS MATERIAL ON TV ANYMORE!

Seriously, don't you think the big downfall of previous collections/series like the Vault Disney releases has been the fact that many of those films HAVEN'T been shown ANYWHERE on cable, let alone regular network television, for the better part of at least ten years?

Instead, what gets pushed is all that pre-teen/teeny bopper crap 24/7 on Disney Channel and the same recycled animated series/cheapquel series and movies on Toon Disney!
AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE!!! :) :wink:

Wow, sounds like you're doing a lot Dan! I think that's great; more people should get involved. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2007, 11:49 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Wow, sounds like you're doing a lot Dan! I think that's great; more people should get involved. :wink:
Thanks, Vi. :)

Yeah, I agree. The more the merrier. :lol:

Btw, I now have a link in my sig. So hopefully this helps raise awareness to members/lurkers. Worth a shot! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2007, 8:39 am

Cool!

As I say, I think we're at LEAST due the remaining Donalds, and the additional two rumored sets would be a TERRIFIC four-set final wave that would see the series go out in style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 22nd, 2007, 8:58 am

Is there any reason not to think that the next Chronological Donald Duck sets might be included in a future 'wave' of the "Walt Disney Legacy" series ..? :?:

After all, the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit shorts are scheduled to be a part of the next "Legacy" batch.

Perhaps the 'educational' shorts and remaining 'rarities' might end up a part of the "Legacy" collection, as well.

It's a possibility. Besides, the "Legacy" titles are practically "Treasures" sets, anyway: limited pressings, deluxe tin cases, Roy Disney's 'signature' on the package, etc.

These are just 'theories', on my part .. they're not based on any 'inside' knowledge, or anything like that .. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2007, 9:14 am

I think that's what I was saying in my piece. Essentially I was saying that Roy kind of got kicked out of the Treasures and has bounced back with his new series that puts him front and center.

Since both were vying for the same historical content (the TLA, let's not forget, were announced as Treasures a while back), one of them had to go.

I strongly agree that we'll see the Donalds as part of the Legacies (as well as re-issues of a lot of other content, I'm also betting), but it would have been neater if they'd finished their run under the original line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 22nd, 2007, 9:57 am

Wouldn't bother me. So, two Donald sets are "Treasures" and the other two (may be) "Legacy" sets .. so what ..? It's having the cartoons, that's the main thing. :)

------------

I remember well, buying the Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years: Volume One Laserdisc set, back in 1992. I devoured that set, and waited years and years, hoping for the eventual release of Volume Two ..

.. until the Laserdisc format itself ceased-to-be :( , and the LD set was (more or less) re-released as the first volume of Mickey Mouse in Black & White, in the Walt Disney Treasures .. and even then, it was a couple more years before I finally saw that Volume Two I'd hoped for, for so long (along with all the color cartoons, in two separate sets). :D

--------------------------

Back in the 1980's, Eclipse began a series of book collections of George Herriman's Krazy Kat Sunday pages, starting in 1916 .. they made it through 9 volumes (through 1925) before going 'belly-up', bringing the series to a premature end (as happens all-too-often with "Complete" comic strip book series collections) ..

.. flash-forward over 15 years later, and Fantagraphics begins publishing book collections of Krazy Kat Sunday strips .. picking up in 1926, where the Eclipse books left off! :) Further, they collect two years of strips per book, rather than one .. so the series gets published twice as fast; and the books feature slick presentation by book designer Chris Ware, which don't at all match the rather sparse Eclipse volumes .. but IMO, that's a moot point.

--------------------------

Anyhow, that was my 'rambling' way of saying that some things are worth waiting for .. even if it takes a while .. and even if the packaging of the 'continuation' doesn't match up precisely with the 'earlier' volumes on the shelf. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2007, 2:49 pm

droosan wrote:Is there any reason not to think that the next Chronological Donald Duck sets might be included in a future 'wave' of the "Walt Disney Legacy" series ..? :?:
There's no reason not to think its a possibility, but to many people (me included) that's not what we want.
droosen wrote:After all, the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit shorts are scheduled to be a part of the next "Legacy" batch.
That's true.

But the thing is, they didn't originaly start out as Treasures. This is the first and last set for Oswald, seeing as their only getting what Walt mainly did. Which is roughly 26 episodes, I believe.
droosen wrote:Perhaps the 'educational' shorts and remaining 'rarities' might end up a part of the "Legacy" collection, as well.
I wouldn't mind the 'Educational' shorts being part of the Legacy collection, but not 'Rarities'.
droosen wrote:It's a possibility. Besides, the "Legacy" titles are practically "Treasures" sets, anyway: limited pressings, deluxe tin cases, Roy Disney's 'signature' on the package, etc.
It is.

Practically, but not exactly. Its hard to explain, but it just isn't the same.
droosen wrote:These are just 'theories', on my part .. they're not based on any 'inside' knowledge, or anything like that .. :P
Haha. :lol:

Anyway, it really is now or never. Because this is time when they usually start producing the Treasures. So if we do succeed, we'll be seeing the set sometime before Christmas.

And I'm really hoping we succeed. Treasures was a once in a lifetime oportunity, and for it not to go out in bang, is just sad. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 24th, 2007, 7:28 pm

^Sorry if I offended you in anyway, droosen. I'm just trying to have faith, in the STWDT (Save The Walt Disney Treasures) campaign. :P

Also, here's an intersesting article. Goodbye Disney Wave.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 24th, 2007, 11:18 pm

I don't care WHAT they call the series so long as Disney continues releasing ALL the pre-Eisner era animation on DVD...

Plus the weird shorts that the company is suppressing for whatever reasons!

I didn't buy any of The Legacy Collection since I'm not into wildlife documentaries. I can turn on Discovery Animal Planet any time I want to for that sort of thing.

I really am much more interested in getting the Disney animated product that's good (in my opinion) as well as the 1950s Zorro TV series if Disney ever releases it on home video.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 25th, 2007, 2:15 am

GeorgeC, you may be glad to know (if you don't already) that two of the three future titles announced in the "Walt Disney Legacy Collection" are The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (animated shorts featuring the character who directly 'pre-saged' Mickey Mouse and the foundation of the Walt Disney Studio) and Destino (the legendary 'long-unfinished' short on which Disney collaborated with Salvador Dali). They should be released sometime this year (though no 'firm' date has yet been set).

The "Legacies" won't all be wildlife documentaries! :wink:

-----------------------

Daniel Jake, you haven't offended me, in the least. In fact, I applaud your zeal .. and I, too, have sent an e-mail to Disney expressing a desire for one last "Treasures" wave, if possible.

But, years of experience .. both as a collector, and a worker within the media/entertainment business .. have left me a bit 'jaded' when it comes to the expectation that such pleas can change the course which a multi-million-dollar studio/publisher has already decided to take.

Besides, as I've said .. IMHO, there's great promise for the future in the "Walt Disney Legacy Collection", especially with Roy Disney back at the studio. If the "Legacy" collection didn't exist, I would be very afraid that the remaining Donald Duck and miscellaneous 'rarities' might not see a DVD release ..

As it stands, I'm pretty sure those cartoons may be a good 'fit' for the "Legacy" collection .. and perhaps (as a response to the current 'outcry'), we may see those cartoons released sooner, rather than later.

Although, as Ben suggests, we may also see some previously-released "Treasures" collections 'replicated' in the "Legacy" collection, as well.

In that regard, the situation isn't much different from Walt Disney Home Video's decision to stop calling its VHS releases "Walt Disney's Classic", and start 're-labeling' them as "Walt Disney's Masterpiece", back in the 1990's. :wink:

Same cartoons, different package. Silver case, Gold case .. doesn't matter much, to me; I'm only interested in the cartoons! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2007, 9:08 am

There can't be any more wildlife Legacies - they used up the whole library on those first four sets! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 25th, 2007, 5:25 pm

droosen - oh, ok. Just wanted to make sure! :P

Double thanks, droosen! For the applaud, and for sending an email! Its very much appreciated! :)

Yeah, I know. Believe me, I've helped other organizations, and lets just say, one failed. :( That to me, shows the company doesn't care, and the only interest they have is money.

Disney, on the otherhand, I know cares to some an extant. So there's always hope!

Eww, gold? I like silver more.

(Nah, I don't mind. But I prefer silver. ;))

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2007, 4:00 pm

HUGE NEWS!!

From "The Digital Bits"
First things first today: I've got GREAT news for you Disney fans. I've just confirmed this morning with Buena Vista Home Entertainment that their much loved Walt Disney Treasures line of DVDs has NOT been cancelled. In fact, I'm told that at least a couple more waves of releases in the line are planned, with the next due in time for the holidays this year. We'll post additional details as they become available, but rest assured this news comes straight from the studio and it's the real deal. So there you go, folks!
I'm so happy! :) :P :D

Though, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Because its not adding up. :?

Luke (the webmaster of UD) said he had interview with someone high up, and confirmed the treasures are finished.

Than we have Leonard Maltin, who says they are finished.

Now we have this, that claims they are NOT cancelled. (From a reliable website.)

I'm so confused!! :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2007, 9:20 am

Wow...good news. I wonder if the "outcry" led to some changes in the decision making process?

Maybe Maltin's words were mis-read? Perhaps it was announced within BVHE that this year would see the last year of active <I>production</I> on the Treasures?

Who knows, but as The Bits says, we'll have to wait for "additional details as they become available"...though I like to think we made a difference!

:)