Monsters vs. Aliens

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 10th, 2009, 12:26 pm

CGIFanatic, for future refernce "this movie makes me want to puke" is another way of saying 'it sucks'

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 10th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Oh and you know it's going to suck because????

I know (hand raised and shaking wildly); pick me, pick me... It's because DW is making it right? I don't know but comments like these are getting real old IMO.

The same thing was said before Kung-Fu Panda came out and it didn't suck so why not wait and see before making uninformed comments.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 10th, 2009, 3:19 pm

I think i might as well rent this movie when it comes to DVD, Kung-fu panda was a riot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 10th, 2009, 4:34 pm

I’m fine with whatever you do but my point isn’t so much about what you said about this or any other movie. The point is that making hateful comments like it’s going to suck (or puke or whatever) before seeing the movie is uncalled for IMO. You can choose to see the movie or get the DVD or not is your decision.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parka » March 26th, 2009, 11:32 pm

The movie's finally out.

Reviews are in at rottentomatoes.

Mostly positive, but I hope it doesn't go downhill.

Looking forward to watching it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parka » March 26th, 2009, 11:33 pm

The movie's finally out.

Reviews are in at rottentomatoes.

Mostly positive, but I hope it doesn't go downhill.

Looking forward to watching it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 27th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Just watched it. AMAZING fun! See it in 3-D if you can. It's totally worth it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » March 27th, 2009, 5:44 pm

The trailers don't do anything for me... will probably see it in the cinema's cuz I can get in for free, lol..
The only Dreamworks animated film I like was Over The Hedge, I didn't think KungFu Panda was anything different than their previous work... I think depth in an animated film is essential for me to like it and Dreamworks seems a bit more shallow than Disney-Pixar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 27th, 2009, 11:50 pm

I didn't think KungFu Panda was anything different than their previous work
Seriously??? I'd suggest watching Panda back to back with Madagascar or Shark Tale. Then see if you feel the same way. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 28th, 2009, 12:01 am

It was very good, and very funny. I'll just say the keyboard scene is hilarious. You'll know when you see it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 28th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Saw it last night, thought it was fun. Won't be rushing out to buy the DVD or anything but I did enjoy it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2009, 1:20 pm

I'm going to hopefully pop out in the morning and endure it with hundreds of screaming kids... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 28th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Friday Numbers:

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Looking pretty good so far.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2009, 10:21 am

Should end up with a maybe over $50m opening.

It was fair enough...I have a ton of notes for a full disc review when the time is right but in short, I found it to be like Shrek: a movie that wanted to spoof a genre but ultimately found itself wanting to be included in that genre too.

And instead of spoofing moments or elements in the clever way WALL-E did, MvA is happy to just mock the conventions, but then use those conventions to tell its own story.

The culture references were all over this, obviously, but none of them were as clever as the movies it referenced. The two most cringeworthy, laugh-free moments for me came with the President tapping out the CE3K theme on a keyboard - obvious but that was funny - but then following it up by playing Axel F...not funny, much longer than it needed to be, and too obvious. There was another musical gag later on, which I also felt had been inserted rather carelessly.

The opening was great fun, and I had a smile on my face for the first ten minutes. And has this been simply the best human animation to come from DreamWorks yet? Susan and the wedding crowd were awesome in many of the shots. But when we hit the secret Area 51 type site, the energy drained for me, and the overly Men In Black tour of the facility could have been done in a more fun way by way of a crackly old instructional film.

Eventually, for all the epic scope, I didn't think it was "big" enough as it needed to be, as clever as I think it wanted to be, or as funny as it thought it was.

MvA was nothing "offensive", had some funny stuff in it, and didn't even annoy me with some of the cast that I'm not big fans of who were actually really good here, but animation aside it just kind of felt like DWs is treading water after Kung Fu Panda...not a step back, but no step forward either.

By the by, the trailer for G-Force was attached, and it turns out it's an animation/live-action hybrid movie. I'm not sure we're aware of that officially as it seems it was being sold as fully animated so far? The animation looks good and it'll be interesting to see how this goes down with audiences.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 29th, 2009, 10:27 am

Ben wrote:Should end up with a maybe over $50m opening.
waaaay over. It made over 27 million on saturday, putting it at $44 million after two days. If we give it a really hard drop for sunday, say 15 million, that would give it 59 million.

MvA is going way over $60 million. Possibly even $65 million.