Up (Pixar's film)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 9th, 2009, 12:29 pm

I also hope bigger films get more respect, but frankly, films that didn't have a chance before this chance still won't have much of a chance. I understand people talking about Up getting a nom, considering the buzz surrounding Ratatouille and Wall-E.

However, people are also suggesting that Star Trek and (are you ready for this?) The Hangover have big chances of getting nominated. Star Trek was widely loved and a box-office hit, but let's get real, they are not going to nominate a Star Trek picture for anything, but technicals.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 10th, 2009, 12:56 am

Ben wrote: I hope some "bigger" films do get more respect, but I am worried all we will get is an extra five independent movies.
Yeah, that was my initial thought when I heard the news. I understand the reasoning for this, but widening it all the way to ten seems a bit of an overkill.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » July 11th, 2009, 2:29 pm

I think we have a Oscar nom here for best pic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2009, 11:01 pm

Really sweet film! :) Beautiful to look at, it also had a very different feel than past Pixar films, like WALL-E and Rat did. Sentimental but in the best possible way, also wistful and sad...really original.

As a film my fave Pixar is WALL-E, but Up is my favorite art-wise. The balloons, the bird, the island--gorgeous. Also, they all looked like oil paintings to me for some reason, maybe this was intentional.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 23rd, 2009, 8:28 pm

I watched this with my daughter a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was astoundingly good at times. The first ten minutes were beautiful, and some scenes were so perfect it hurt. There were a few things that kept me from out-and-out loving it (the climax got a little silly, I thought), but there was some <i>very</i> fine filmmaking there.

The 3-D, though, was pretty much wasted. People praise Pixar for their restraint because the 3-D didn't feel gimmicky, but for me I think there's really little point in doing it 3-D if the effects aren't noticed. Really, I pretty much forgot the film was in 3-D at all. Next time, I'd prefer to save the extra $3 and skip the 3-D altogether.

For the record, I thought Coraline's 3-D, though still restrained, was more impressive for immersing the viewer in the world of the film; and Monsters Vs. Aliens was good old-fashioned and fun gimmicky 3-D that suited the largely tacky nature of the film--- and I mean that in a good way.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 23rd, 2009, 11:21 pm

I saw Up twice -- once in 3D and one in.... 2D I guess. 2D was much better. 3D seems to mute colors and Up is such a colorful film that in 2D it pops even more than the 3D effects did.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 25th, 2009, 12:25 am

Same here. The 3D didn't do very much for the film and just gave it a dark look overall. It was much better the second time I saw it. The colors really did stand out!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:18 pm

3D has always done little more me, even since I got my eyes lasered. The biggest annoyance has been the added reflections from seat alleyway lighting, exit signs and cell phones in the glasses, and the lack of really being able to relax and watch a film with the specs on.

With the added, bogus cost, I have started to refuse to pay more to see a film in a way that often means less of an experience. Imax is different - that's a real experience way of seeing a movie, but over here the costs are way too high and the nearest Imax is 40 minutes away, plus parking, etc, so that doesn't make much sense to me either.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 15th, 2009, 5:19 pm

OK, who's getting this:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/t-v/uppp-lg.jpg

Likely not me, but it's a neat idea for Pixar fans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » August 15th, 2009, 7:31 pm

What on earth are you refering to?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 16th, 2009, 1:13 am

Odd, the link worked the first time I checked it. OK, here's the actual photo:

For 200 bucks, Luxo Jr. (and the Up Blu-ray) can be yours!

Seems a little outrageous to me. My own desk lamp cost a lot less.
Last edited by Randall on August 16th, 2009, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 16th, 2009, 10:03 am

I wish they'd make replicas of The Ellie Badge. I'd buy one.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 16th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Oh, for Pete's sake. The image is gone again. Just follow this link instead:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/coverart.html#nov10

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 17th, 2009, 7:26 am

I posted this in the announcement news on the front page the other day. I couldn't find an image of it even though the press release contained the details.

It's a LOT for a package like that...a neat idea but I won't be buying. And, by the way, UD suggested this will "hold" a Pixar BD collection. It won't...it's just the lamp designed "to highlight" a Pixar BD collection, though why anyone would want to keep a light shined upon them only for the color in the covers to fade is beyond me. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » September 1st, 2009, 1:12 am

lol, hey Randall: I'd recommend image hosts like Imageshack.us which allow you to paste an image URL and re-host it in a place less prone to cosmic drift!