Mega Mind

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mega Mind

Post by CGIFanatic » August 27th, 2008, 3:39 pm

The next feature by DreamWorks Animation in 2010 is Master Mind, a satire on the superhero genre. The plot follows a super villain (presumably named Master Mind) who loses his reason for existence after accidentally killing off his nemesis, Uberman, in the first scene of the film.
Last edited by CGIFanatic on January 15th, 2010, 5:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 27th, 2008, 3:41 pm

According to this Robert Downey Jr. and Tina Fey are voicing MasterMind

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48283
Last edited by CGIFanatic on August 27th, 2008, 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 27th, 2008, 4:30 pm

I think in 2011 they're working on a movie about toys.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 27th, 2008, 5:01 pm

or Fantastic Four :wink:

At least it's a movies with characters other than animals.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Master Mind

Post by EricJ » August 27th, 2008, 7:33 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:The next feature by DreamWorks Animation in 2010 is Master Mind, a satire on the superhero genre. The plot follows a super villain (presumably named Master Mind) who loses his reason for existence after accidentally killing off his nemesis, Uberman, in the first scene of the film.
But, of course, Dreamworks NEVER rips off Pixar movies... :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 27th, 2008, 8:58 pm

I've heard of this one. They had me at Ben Stiller (who came up with the concept).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Master Mind

Post by droosan » August 27th, 2008, 11:19 pm

EricJ wrote:But, of course, Dreamworks NEVER rips off Pixar movies... :wink:
And, of course, no other studio besides Pixar has EVER done a spoof movie about superheroes .. EVER. :roll:

----------

A Hollywood trade-mag put it best, about a year ago: "superhero movies are the new westerns." It's a popular current genre. Brad Bird was simply 'ahead of the curve' (but then, when isn't he..?) :wink:

At least with animation, a superhero film can be closer in 'spirit' to its comic-book 'roots'. :idea:

----------

It seems to me that Master Mind's basic premise actually has more in common with Joss Whedon's recent Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog than with The Incredibles .. but I still look forward to seeing how this turns out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

DreamWorks' MASTER MIND

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Early word has started coming in on DWA's next, a co-pro with Ben Stiller's company Red Hour.
<B>Robert Downey Jr., Tina Fey in talks for 'Master Mind'
Ben Stiller producing DreamWorks Animation project</B>

Robert Downey Jr. and Tina Fey are in negotiations to lead the voice cast for DreamWorks Animation's superhero lark "Master Mind." Ben Stiller is a producer on the movie through his Red Hour Films.

The satiric film, with a screenplay by Alan J. Schoolcraft and Brent Simons, concerns a brilliant superhero villain who loses his life's purpose when he accidentally kills his good-guy nemesis. DWA plans a Nov. 5, 2010, release (though the title might change).

DWA had a banner year in 2008 with its releases "Kung Fu Panda" and "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" (also starring Stiller), which together have grossed more than $1.2 billion worldwide. The Jeffrey Katzenberg-led company also has "Monsters vs. Aliens" in theaters in March, "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek Goes Fourth" in 2010, and a "Kung Fu Panda" sequel scheduled for 2011.

Paramount, which distributes DWA's output, has its own animated feature, "Rango," starring Johnny Depp, in production for a March 2011 release.

Fey, repped by Endeavor and 3 Arts, most recently starred in the Universal comedy "Baby Mama" and is attached to star in the Fox comedy "Date Night" with Steve Carell. She continues to produce, write and star in "30 Rock" on NBC.

The Endeavor-repped Stiller has "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" coming in May and most recently co-wrote, directed and starred in the DreamWorks comedy "Tropic Thunder."

Downey, repped by CAA, has "Sherlock Holmes" and "Iron Man 2" in production this year, and "The Soloist" hitting theaters in April. He did an Oscar-nominated turn in "Tropic Thunder" last summer.
Sounds quite fun, if derivative of several other "superhero larks", especially the tone of Mystery Men. It's certainly setting up to be another in the more commercial lines we'd expect from the Studio, but could be fun nonetheless without an Incredibles sequel coming any time soon. I just hope it's not "samey-Stiller"...

KFP2 set for 2011, eh? They <I>are</I> busy...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 7th, 2009, 5:41 pm

It sounds like it could be good based on the plot. Stiller does know how to play neurotic & guilty. Anyways, I'm more interested in how Fey is fitting into this plot. Hopefully she will not be just another side character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 7th, 2009, 8:13 pm

On the other hand, it sounds like Dreamworks was again too star-blinded by Being Able To Make A Deal With A Really Big Money-Making Celebrity Grownups Have Heard Of--or thought they "owed" him a solo project because they thought he was the reason we went to see Madagascar--and are about to force-feed another "Bee Movie" down our throats with no clue of how and why actual animated family films are made.
In the meantime, let the "Naww, Jeffrey NEVER steals Pixar hits! :roll: " conpiracy-theories begin...

(And sully not this project with mentions of "Mystery Men", which at least had an actual comic-book pedigree behind it.
If you're saying "Well, like, they're similar 'cause they had Stiller in them", you're just as guilty as they are.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2009, 9:39 am

Once again Eric, you miss my point.

When I wrote about Mystery Men, I'd actually forgotten Stiller's participation in that film (he's the weakest character and I never remember he's in it behind The Shoveler, Baby Bowler, The Spleen and the rest) - in fact it wasn't until I just read your message that it clicked!

So, actually, that adds another dimension to things: Stiller <I>was</I> in Mystery Men, wasn't he? Hmmm...I was actually only speaking of one of the bare basic plot points (supervillain wins over the hero) but now you mention that, the similarity in tones just got a whole lot narrower, comic-book origins or not.

Are we up for another Bee Movie? First I've heard of that, though I knew that the partnership was intended to flourish into more DWA/Seinfeld animated comedies...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 8th, 2009, 9:46 am

Sounds good but it might be like The Incredibles.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2009, 10:12 am

Ding! Thank you for playing! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 8th, 2009, 11:44 am

So films with same subjects:
Finding Nemo-Shark Tale.
Ratatouille-Flushed Away.
Madagascar-The Wild.
Rapunzel-The Bear And The Bow? (Somewhat...).
WALL-E-Robots.
A Bug's Life-Ants.
Master Mind-The Incredibles.
Surf's Up-Happy Feet.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Old...

As Eric just said...
EricJ wrote:In the meantime, let the "Naww, Jeffrey NEVER steals Pixar hits! :roll: " conpiracy-theories begin...
Okay...moving on and back on topic please...