Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Did you still get the When The Lion Roars documentary in Oz, George?

Whatever version one picks up, it's never going to match the 1990s Ultimate Oz LaserDisc set...yummy!

This'll be my third time on disc for Oz after the Ultimate LD, the three-disc DVD and now the Ultimate BD. As one of my favorites, I had to go deluxe!

Basically, I'm with you on Snow White, and have as much material on it that I need, including the big hardcover book that came with the 1993 LD set, which I'd had a copy of already but that was second hand and the LD copy came with a newly deigned cover). But I don't have Lambert's book in either French or English and, if it is indeed that tome, then the set makes sense for me. But I don't think the resulting book is going to be as "big" as it looks (they never are) and if it's simply a reprint of previous material as opposed to something that was rather exclusive to begin with (like the Lambert book) then it's not worth it, especially with the standard BD set on the way for review here.

But at the end of the day we can keep talking about it and keep guessing...I just want to know what it is and if it's worth it to me...preferably <I>before</I> my pre-order is shipped and I can still cancel without any problems.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 29th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Yes,

The MGM documentary (DVD) was included in the Target exclusive.

Again, the only disc NOT in that set was the Digital Copy disc.

Once I realized that was the only disc not included with the Target exclusive it made my decision a lot easier! :lol:

Of course, the packaging doesn't tell you that... I had to compare and contrast the gift set with the disc-only version side-by-side to figure out which disc wasn't in the cheaper edition. (And frankly I didn't remember if The Digital Bits said anything about the less costly discs-only set excluding the Digital Copy disc, either...)

(My wallet thanks me for the $30 I saved today... which went to another Blu ray! I got 3 BD's today (Oz, Superman/Batman, Monsters Vs. Aliens) ---- which is a record for me! I usually don't get that many BDs even a fortnight apart. I still think my ratio is about 80% DVD buy vs 20% Blu ray nowadays.)

Not all Digital Copies are made equally. The Wonder Woman DC included with my Blu ray of the film was pretty bad quality. There have been much better quality DC's with other films. Heck, most stuff I've ripped and converted to mp4 video has turned out better than the Wonder Woman DC!

... Before I forget, a bit of bad news about the video extras in the Oz Blu ray sets.

They're all standard definition lifts from the last DVD deluxe set release a few years ago. The 50 GB capacity of Blu ray ensures they're still all there but otherwise there aren't going to be visual upgrades unless they were redone for the simultaneous DVD re-release as well.

The SD extra trend for Blu ray/hi-def releases continues...

I just got done converting audio to mp3 from Monty Python and the Holy Grail... Made 20 mp3s from the audio rips!

Great dialogue in that film! :wink:

P.S. -- I saw both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth on store shelves today. Looks like all the extras from the anniversary DVDs were packed onto the Blu rays along with new BD-exclusive extras.

Mmm.... Tasty!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 30th, 2009, 6:25 pm

More to add about the Oz BD release...

From The Digital Bits today ==>

"Now then... we've learned that Wal-Mart apparently has a retailer exclusive version of The Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray too, and for just $19.96. But be aware that this is only a single-disc Blu-ray (essentially Disc One of the UCE box), so you're not getting all the disc-based content. However, if all you care about is the movie, that's a good price. Target's 3-disc Emerald Edition (2 BD and 1 DVD - SRP $34.99) is the complete disc-based experience sans swag and Digital Copy. "

This is news to me, too!

If you already have the past DVD release of Oz (deluxe set) with the extras, this is the best way to save some cash.

All the video extras in the BD release (Disc 2, not Disc 1 with the feature film itself) are in standard def. These extras are the same that were on the last DVD deluxe release of The Wizard of Oz.

Seriously, the Wal-Mart deal sounds very good!

The Target exclusive is better for people like me who never had The Wizard of Oz on DVD before but wanted to forego the gift boxset to save some cash.

Definitely understandable in these times... Unfortunately, I spent that cash on another BD!
:lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » October 1st, 2009, 4:16 am

Going back to the subject in hand Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs : I cannot understand why , in a format such as Blu Ray , that has the facility to allow a much greater amount of content to be stored , that the editors/compilers of this very important Blu Ray , have decided to delete a sequence that lasts a mere thirty seconds when it would have added so much more to the nastiness of the Witch's character , it just doesn't make any sense!

They've also deleted a second sequence of a fight between two of the Dwarfs ( Doc and Grumpy ) over Snow White staying! Why? Both of these sequences were on the original Platinum Edition DVD , and yet this was supposed to be the most complete "definitive" version of Snow White - it just seems to be a lost opportunity!!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2009, 7:22 am

No...the 80th anniversary release will be the <I>definitive</I> one! ;)

Yeah, I agree...we get a load of Disney Channel guff when the important stuff gets dropped. From the very beginning this release has seemed to me to be a mismash, from the Platinum then Diamond announcement, the lack of any real anniversary or other celebration to mark the release, the bad cover art, and so on.

I mean, this is Snow White. On Blu-ray. Where's the historic fanfare? Where's the importance? In a pack with seven plush dwarfs or a clunky box with a book in it that nobody knows what its pages contain?

There's just a lack of real excitement for this release coming from Disney, or really from other people, to be honest, from what I've read and the feelings of confusion over the editions. My feeling is this should have been saved for the 75th, and given the proper, real royal treatment.

Bah! :)
Last edited by Ben on October 1st, 2009, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Dwarf Fight /Witch at Cauldron Deleted Sequences left out!

Post by Deco King » October 1st, 2009, 12:38 pm

Unfortunately the people running Disney are faceless bureaucrats who don't give a toss about the oproduct !! Sadly they're just doing a job , and that's that as far as they're concerned.

The fact is without this movie they wouldn't have a job to begin with and I'm afraid that the new Snow White Blu Ray has been badly short changed by the two important deleted scenes having been left out!!

As I said in my previous post , it seems totally ridiculous to me , that a so called definitive Blu Ray version of Snow White , a format which we're constantly being told how much storage space it contains , doesn't have two important deleted scenes ( The Dwarfs Bedroom Fight Sequence , and The Witch At The Cauldron Sequence ) contained on both the "inferior " Laserdisc and DVD versions that preceded this "defintive" Snow White !!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2009, 3:53 pm

Got me riled enough to make this a front page rant! ;)

http://animated-views.com/2009/snow-whi ... ven-x-men/

Still seems to me that the big book will be a rehash of previous material. I think I'm going to cancel that order.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 1st, 2009, 4:41 pm

My,

Aren't we being a bit grumpy today!

Not enough sleep? :shock:
(You still have the other versions of Snow White that have the things deleted from the Blu ray edition...)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 6th, 2009, 3:13 am

I start making my plans on getting the Blu-Ray copy, upgrade coupon and all, set to go. Then I read the Best Buy ad.

Blu-Ray/DVD Combo
Book
Pins
At least seven Replica Sketches/Animation Drawings

$150

Goddammit.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2009, 5:35 am

<I>THAT'S</I> exactly what I've been complaining about above and in the recent Tooning In posts on the front page of Animated Views.

And did you know the suggested retail price for that set is $250!!!? :shock:

But you can buy just the three disc BD/DVD pack for under $25 at Amazon. As I said yesterday on the front page, it beats paying $125 extra just for a 160-page book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » October 6th, 2009, 7:34 am

You guys are telling me that this diamond edition doesn't have to scene where she turns into a which and the with the cauldron?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2009, 8:50 am

No...the film is intact.

Previous editions (the LD and the DVD) have also shown, in a deleted scenes section, a moment (less than 30 seconds) where the Witch brews up the evil spell in a cauldron and is seen dipping the apple into the brew to coat it with death, visualized as a skeletal apparition that dissolves into the apple's core.

Although this scene was completely finished, colored and soundtracked, it was deemed too horrifying to include in the final print and was cut by Walt himself (perhaps even to make sure the film was suitable for child audiences).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » October 6th, 2009, 1:01 pm

So the diamond has been untouched in relative to the original film?

As long as the the diamond edition has everything from the original film then I don't care.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Well, they did cut a dwarf out. Seems Dopey was unpolitically correct for this day and age. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 6th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Just back from Best Buy picking up the set. The employees and I had quite a few minutes investigating the technical features. I dunno if this has been discussed, but let me explain.

There are two packages: One in a DVD-sized case, the other in a Blu-Ray-sized case.

They are virtually alike. DVD copy, Blu-Ray copy, same special features, same techs on the Blu-Ray copy.

The difference we were investigating was how on the DVD-sized case it lists the DVD disc includes an audio commentary track by John Canemaker and some enhance picture and sound quality. The DVD disc on the Blu-Ray-sized case lists simply that it has the movie on DVD.

Any one else who's been to stores to pick up the set notice this?