Pooh's Heffalump Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » February 14th, 2005, 11:01 am

Despite being a DVD site, UD.com have posted a review here. Also, according to IMDb, the film raked in $6 million this weekend.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Origin of the Heffalump?

Post by cuberat » February 15th, 2005, 1:27 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew where the Latest Disney release, "The Heffalump Movie" was created. I was under the impression that Disney closed its' traditional 2D animation studios in the US. I know that Korea and India are rising in prominence in new animation work, and I figured that Disney would move its' operations there. Anyone?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » February 15th, 2005, 2:23 pm

This is just from memory. (I'm sure someone can post a link.)

It seems like Heffalump was the last film animated by the Japan studio. The announcement about the studio closing mentioned it as their last project.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Yep.

It was developed by teams in Burbank and at DisneyToon in Australia, and actually animated and completed in Japan.

Now the only 2D Disney outfit is the Australian group, who are set to churn out two or three "video premieres" every year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 26th, 2005, 6:35 pm

You know, this movie is doing really well in theaters internationally. So far it's only been released in some parts of Europe, where in most countries it is performing similair, if not better than The Incredibles. In Poland it had the third highest opening for an animated film ever. How bizarre is that?!?!? Here in Holland it isn't out yet, but we have three months to go and I'm already seeing promotional stuff. Why is Disney hyping this movie so much? Was it hyped in the U.S. too? It's outgrossing Meet The Fockers in some countries. What's going on?? :? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2005, 9:37 pm

Never underestimate the Power Of A Pooh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » February 27th, 2005, 9:38 am

PatrickvD wrote:Was it hyped in the U.S. too?
Not really. It wasn't promoted any more (or less) than either Tigger Movie or Piglet Movie. It's not doing great here, but I don't think anyone was expecting it too. It has made 13.5m in the US and 4.7m worldwide.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Heffalump Halloween DVD - Trailer

Post by JustinWilliams » April 21st, 2005, 11:00 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 21st, 2005, 12:37 pm

Thanks. Just added this to the front page.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Steve Carras » December 15th, 2005, 12:22 am

Well, we know ONE for certain about heffalumps. They were not meant to be cuddly.
"It IS 2706!"
-"A Hick, A Slick, & A Chick" [obscure Looney Tune short,1948,dir.Arthur Davis][.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 15th, 2005, 1:13 am

Pooh + Christopher Robin's "Stash" = Heffalump.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2005, 11:15 am

The only two movies I count as proper theatrical releases are The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh, and The Tigger Movie.

The others are nothing but gloirfied DTV releases put out in theaters. Yes, the same could be applied to Tigger, but that movie had the proper hand-drawn Xerox style animation, songs by the Shermans and decent animation effects.

The newer ones are all of the TV animation league and aimed at a lower demographic. I'm in two minds over Pooh's Grand Adventure, which came before Tigger but just for TV/video, but ulitmately it was a lacklustre affair and of the lower quality animation.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2005, 12:15 pm

Ya know, I really have been thinking about getting the Tigger Movie and the Heffalump videos.

I could still get The Tigger movie at a local TRU store for $14.99 ... Heffalump and Piglet movies are also available there, too, but Tigger would get first priority since it's the earliest film since the original Pooh compilation movie.

I DO still have a soft spot for Pooh bear even if a story I read in a book kind of ruined the character a bit for me...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2005, 12:41 pm

George, apart from Tigger, the recent Pooh offerings are really not anything more than TV specials.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 17th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Ben wrote:George, apart from Tigger, the recent Pooh offerings are really not anything more than TV specials.

All right, Tigger it is!

That's the one I REALLY wanted to get... :lol: