Remakes! Remakes! Read all about 'em!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2009, 3:51 pm

More excellent promo work for the imminent release of The Beatles Rockband:

Loving the way they are marketing this...especially the shot of Paul watching the people walk by...very natural. My sister has a Wii so I might get a copy at some point and have a play. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 2nd, 2009, 7:43 pm

Played a copy in the stores today, with only the drums set up (it's me compensatory factor...)
The animation is keyed to the various "eras", with psychedelic faux-Submarine/Hello-Goodbye band animation for the Sgt. Pepper songs, and mock-Richard Lester screaming crowds for the Ed Sullivan hits.

If 67-yo. Sir Paul was going to sell out, at least this one was worth it. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 11th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Here's yet another 80s remake: :? (will they never stop?)

The Karate Kid with Jackie Chan and Jayden Smith:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 11th, 2010, 10:46 pm

No. Just no. I never saw the original Karate Kid and even I know they got everything wrong. It looks horrible and they didn't even pick a good song for the trailer. Now, the Clash of the Titans remake, on the other hand, that one looks awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » January 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm

I know the kraken is an old mythological creature, but the way Liam Neeson said "Release the kraken!" and the Zimmer-like guitar music accompanying its emergence reminded me a lot of Pirates. And hopefully Craig Armstrong won't go the cliche heavy-metal route for scoring the film like the trailer suggests.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 12th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Why not? The trailer's music seems to fit what they're doing perfectly, so doing the entire score like that would make sense. And I thought of Pirates too, BTW.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 12th, 2010, 9:55 pm

The trailer music does match, and honestly that kind of music is relating more and more to that setting and fantasy settings.

Plus Liam Neeson as Zeus. What more could you ask for

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 12th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Macaluso wrote:Plus Liam Neeson as Zeus. What more could you ask for
.. a 'clock-work' owl..? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » January 13th, 2010, 2:55 pm

I guess I'm not so much against the heavy-metal approach itself, but very few people have used it intelligently and in a way that enhances the film instead of merely saying, "Oh, look at how cool this music is, and how gnarly this slow motion shot is." Armstrong has enough of a unique voice that I believe he can rise beyond the monotonous blasting that every epic seems to have these days, from Iron Man to 300 to Race to Witch Mountain to Transformers...

But I will gladly concede that I would prefer from Armstrong a heavy-metal approach that is creative over something like The Incredible Hulk, which was a mainly orchestral score that nevertheless sounded anonymous, though competent.

To clarify, though I think Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings scores are masterpieces, and I dig the swashbuckling of Alan Silvestri's action and Harry Gregson-Williams's Sinbad, they are not the only kind of music I enjoy. S.W.A.T., though not a fantasy film, had an Elliot Goldenthal score that used rock elements in a highly creative way, though the film may not have deserved it. I loved how Harry Gregson-Williams scored the Narnia films and Kingdom of Heaven, not afraid to blend orchestra, choir, electronics, and specialty instruments. (I look forward to David Arnold's approach to the Narnia sequel.) James Newton Howard complemented his usual rich, exciting adventure music with fresh electronics in the "Flying" cue from Peter Pan. Zimmer surprised me with his rich score for the third Pirates film. John Powell's eclectic score to Hancock is one of the best he's done.

But I have to admit that my favorite fantasy score from the last few years hasn't been for a film, but for a video game (and apparently, not a very good video game at that.) John Debney's music for Lair is just so rich and exciting, with a plethora of great themes, a cousin to his Cutthroat Island score. Bring on Iron Man 2!

Sorry for rambling so much, but I can't help it. This is something I happen to be very passionate about. Don't hold it against me...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 13th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Speaking of scores, I loved what James Horner did for Avatar. The end credit song, "I See You", is merely okay, but the orchestral version of that theme used throughout the film is wonderful. Also, I really enjoy Kevin Kiner's music for Star Wars: The Clone Wars (both the pilot film and the individual episodes). He may not be John Williams, but he's an excellent stand-in.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Jayden Smith <I>is a boy!</I>?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Yellow Submarine

Post by Locall » January 16th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Zemeckis is pushing the next mo-cap project under our noses, a remake of The Beatles' Yellow Submarine...

Can someone please tell this so-called-director nobody is waiting for mo-cap movies, I can't think of any that didn't flop :S so why is he still trying? don't think re-making Yellow Submarine was the best business plan either :S

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 16th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Well let's see: The Polar Express didn't flop and is still shown regularly at Christmastime. Monster House and Beowulf both made over $100 million (Beowulf made almost $200 million). A Christmas Carol made over $300 million, I certainly wouldn't call that a flop.

As someone said elsewhere, for Yellow Submarine to happen at all, Paul, Ringo and John and George's families would have all had to sign off on it. Must have been one heck of a pitch.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 16th, 2010, 4:26 pm

It was their pitch, as I last heard it--
AppleCo. wanted to push the 40th-anniversary marketing and license a corporate-carpetbagger stage musical to go with it.
(Sir Paul and Mrs. Harrison are a little less guarded about the music/image rights nowadays, now that it's becoming more of a retirement income, which is how we got that X-Box 360 game suspiciously around this same time as well.)

BobZ may have simply been hired out for his Corporate Overlords, as much as he thought he was a "genius" for doing it himself.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2010, 8:36 am

This was BZ's idea...and he pitched it to Apple. As I said above:
Ben wrote:Well, they would have to be in agreement for it to even make it this far, so we must assume they approve, as does Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, all of whom must apparently be in unison for any Beatles project or product to move ahead. All I can say is that BZ must have made one <I>heck</I> of a pitch.

In addition, casting was announced this week, sending shivers down our spines in that it looks like Zemeckis <I>IS</I> aiming for photo-realistic Beatles in his movie as opposed to making a mo-cap remake of the original.

So this is it...bringing dead people back for entertainment.