Who Watches The WATCHMEN...?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 11th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Why, why, WHY do the studios insist on this moronic one-disc/two-disc release pattern? It used to be that if there was going to be a special edition, that was the ONLY edition, and it should have stayed that way. Now, not only do you have to pay extra to get the bonus stuff, but Lionsgate has begun outright cheating. The two-disc versions of The Spirit and Punisher: War Zone put all the extras on disc one and a useless digital copy on disc two WITHOUT including the same disc-one extras on the regular one-disc edition. That's a very bad move on their part and I fear that other studios may soon follow suit. I buy most of my dvds used as it is because I can't afford $25 or more for a single movie, regardless of how many extras there are. When will this greed-induced idiocy end?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 11th, 2009, 5:34 pm

eddievalient wrote:Why, why, WHY do the studios insist on this moronic one-disc/two-disc release pattern?
And can we assume the "Director's Cut" is the announced version with "Tales from the Black Freighter" edited back into it, or does that come six months later?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 11th, 2009, 6:25 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=21157

Watchmen Director's Cut get a limited theatrical release just before the DVDs and Blu rays hit on the announced street dates...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 11th, 2009, 10:17 pm

The "Ultimate Cut," with the Black Freighter stuff, gets released in the fourth quarter, from what's been said before. (Yes, that would make three different versions altogether.) It's possible that the DVD release pattern may have been affected by the film's underperformance in theaters, but I doubt it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 17th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Future Shop has a Steelbook for the upcoming Director's Cut:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN#

They don't normally charge a premium for their steelbooks, but they are here. It's still worth it to me, though, as I like the format and the cover--- much more in keeping with the comic. It'll look nice next to my Dark Knight and Iron Man Steelbooks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 17th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Aww... Is it only for the blu-ray?

I'm planning on getting the director's cut DVD, but I don't like the cover art at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 18th, 2009, 1:04 am

Yep, the Steelbook is only for the Blu-ray. Incidentally, I looked at the price again, and it's only 11 cents less for the regular Blu-ray cover at Future Shop. Last week, the Steelbook was another $6 more. However, I've seen the regular Blu-ray priced a lot less elsewhere.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 18th, 2009, 10:05 am

Question: Is the director's cut going to include Tales of the Black Freighter or is that all-encompassing version coming later? I ask because, while I haven't seen that yet, I feel that it's better to watch Black Freighter seperately. Having it in the middle of the main Watchmen movie would be distracting.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 18th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I agree. Having it in the novel was distracting enough.

I think I read somewhere that this version of the film would be out much later, but I'm not certain. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2009, 12:24 am

The super duper version with Black Freighter included is planned for later this year, unless that's changed. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it that way. It was distracting in the comic, but it'll be interesting to see how it alters the flow of the movie. Likely it won't fare any better there, but it'll be interesting.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 11th, 2009, 3:48 am

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Director ... 108&sr=1-4

Amazon exclusive version of the 3-disc Blu ray Director's Cut release gets a miniature of "Archie," Night Owl's ship from the movie.

Apparently, the theatrical cut is being released DVD-only. Fear not, since that DVD (single disc) is part of the 3-disc Blu ray set.

Blu ray #1 is the Director's Cut.

Blu ray #2 has most of the special features of the set.

DVD (disc #3) has the theatrical cut and the Digital File copy that you can download to your DVD-capable computer's hard drive for iTunes, your iPod, or whatever entertainment management software you have on your machine.

The later "ultimate" extended cut ships in December. It's the 5-disc release that incorporates "Black Pirate" into the Director's cut of the movie. The Watchmen Motion comic and the documentary that came with "Black Pirate" will also be bundled into the 5-disc set, too.

Details on the "Ultimate" release here -- http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/07/10/ ... s-pirates/

There's supposed to be a $10 coupon for something in the Watchmen Director's Cut (due out this July 21st), too.

Word is that the 5-disc release due out in December is going to be missing a lot of the extras on the 3-disc set. Supposedly, not everything's able to fit on that set or extras are being dropped so that people will buy BOTH BD/DVD releases of Watchmen...

No complaining, folks. This is how the video business has been run for quite a few years now. They're not going to change things because you complain to them through e-mail or start a petition. Those don't work!!!

You've now been told ahead of time what's up so plan your purchases accordingly. More than enough time to earn money to buy BOTH editions if you want, or save up and decide which edition to get.

P.S. -- If you pre-order the Watchmen Director's cut from Amazon, they send a link through e-mail that takes you to video-on-demand at Amazon. You can watch the film through Amazon on standard-def. Sorry, no online hi-def.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 11th, 2009, 7:54 am

Nobody in my town will be able to see Watchmen, unfortunately. The only video rental place for 30 miles is tied to a corporate-owned grocery store and in their infinite wisdom, they decided to ban the movie due to it being "too graphic" (never mind that I've rented movies from there that are even more graphic than Watchmen). The worst part is that a week after Watchmen comes out, Miss March will be on dvd and from everything I've read, it's ten times more offensive but they didn't ban that one, just Watchmen. I emailed the corporate website and demanded an explanation but haven't heard anything yet. Corporate America, don't ya just love it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2009, 11:22 am

The thinking behind having to buy both versions is also to make up some of the lost revenue from the film's less than successful BO rounds.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 16th, 2009, 3:04 am

Here's another Blu-ray retailer exclusive:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... &langid=EN#

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 16th, 2009, 11:52 am

No thanks, Best Buy!

As much as I like Rorschach (a rebranded Question -- a character I fell in love with during the run of Justice League Unlimited -- I like the nutty characters!), I'll stick to standard packaging.

Some of that exclusive packaging just doesn't fit on shelves and I doubt some of its holds up as well as the standard Amaray cases. I like steel jackets better myself to be honest. Wish more of those were done for Blu ray as STANDARD limited first print editions (like Disney DVD cardboard sleeves) instead of these dumb chain store exclusives. You shouldn't have to be traipsing back and forth between stores for exclusive casing!

But then again, how would retailers make things fun for collectors if they didn't pull off exclusive sales stunts? :lol: