Open Season

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » June 15th, 2006, 6:49 pm

I like it :) Especially its look (colors, design, lighting, animation).
...and that Buzz Lightyear spoof... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 15th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Okay...I got it to work for me. Looks nice, although the quatlity of the trailer was killing me.

And where was the Buzz Lightyear spoof?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » June 16th, 2006, 8:23 am

Maybe it's not directly Buzz spoof and more like general "alien invasion", "space action" type movies spoof, but I immediately connected "I come in peace" line with Buzz saying the same on the surface of "unknown planet" - Andy's bed :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Ant Bully, Barnyard, Open Season DVD Release Dates

Post by ibrmacf » September 18th, 2006, 11:46 am

According to www.digitalbits.com/rumormill.html, it shows tentative DVD release dates for "The Ant Bully" (Nov. 28), "Barnyard" (Dec. 12), and "Open Season" (Jan. 16).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 18th, 2006, 4:41 pm

I guess I know what to ask for Christmas :D and Open Season is already coming out? That's what I call a speedy release, huh?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Figured I'd bump this thread up since the movie opens Friday...

Here's an interview found on comingsoon.net:

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16652
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » September 28th, 2006, 12:57 pm

i want to see this movie. i like the skunks. (did you know?) :) it isnt even out in the dutch but the stores are overflowing with games of it :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 29th, 2006, 3:48 pm

I hope to see it sometime next week. The reviews are pretty good so far.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Who's your favorite OpenSeason character?

Post by avelinforl32 » October 1st, 2006, 5:03 pm

Mine Elliot and Boog both rocks!!!!!What's yours?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » October 3rd, 2006, 5:33 pm

I voted for 'Others' as I most liked the Beth/Boog combo. Shaw would have been a close second.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 3rd, 2006, 5:35 pm

I haven't even seen the movie yet, but I know there's a load of characters you didn't include in the polls. Isn't there a hunter and a park ranger character? :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » October 3rd, 2006, 5:37 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I haven't even seen the movie yet, but I know there's a load of characters you didn't include in the polls. Isn't there a hunter and a park ranger character? :D
Yep, the Hunter is 'Shaw' and the ranger is 'Beth'.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 3rd, 2006, 5:46 pm

Yeah. I thought 'Beth' was the ranger's name. Wasn't so sure about the hunter, though.

Anyway, I like Elliot so far. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2006, 3:30 am

Wow! Did you know that Open Season pioneered a new form of animation art called "squash and stretch"?

:roll:

This might give you an idea of how truly little "outsiders" :wink: :P or non hard-core fans/viewers know about animation:

October 02, 2006
According to LA TIMES, Sony Invented Squash & Stretch
Posted by AMID at 01:28 PM

The LA TIMES published a piece today by Josh Friedman with this mind-bogglingly ignorant sentence about animation:

[OPEN SEASON], based on the humor of cartoonist Steve Moore, introduces a technique dubbed "squash and stretch" that allows the cartoon characters to change shape during action sequences.

I hear the animators working on HAPPY FEET have also come up with an exciting new technique. They call it a "walk cycle." What will they think of next?

UPDATE #1: Paul Naas writes the following:

I saw the item out of this morning's L.A. Times about squash and stretch, and dropped a quick email to the author, Josh Friedman. To my surprise, he responded quickly, saying:

"Sorry about that. I'm working up a correction for Tuesday's paper."

Quite a difference from the response a few months back from Mick LaSalle and his ridiculous comments about facial animation. I'm looking forward to seeing if the correction actually appears.

UPDATE #2: Story artist Jenny Lerew comments about the LA TIMES piece on her blog Blackwing Diaries.

UPDATE #3: The LA TIMES indeed ran a correction in Tuesday's paper. It reads:

An article in Monday's Business section reporting the weekend box-office results incorrectly described as new the "squash and stretch" technique used in the film "Open Season." The method, which enables the cartoon characters to change shape during action sequences, has been used before.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 7th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Well, even though it HAS been used before, I think that "Open Season" might've taken the method to a new level. It looks a bit more "Complete" than the sometimes herky-jerky animation found in "Madagascar".