The Goon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Goon

Post by Darkblade » July 24th, 2010, 9:06 pm

For some reason my older bro's friend thinks that this could be the next fritz. Although I dont know if there would that much unmetionable stuff like fritz had. But the only thing that this has common with fritz is that Fritz and goon are underground comics. And goon looks like its heading for the R rating.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 24th, 2010, 11:59 pm

What they DON'T have in common is that we weren't glutted with CGI animation--or comic-book characters, cult or otherwise--when Fritz came out.
The "revolutionary" gimmick with Fritz was "Look, a cartoon that isn't from Disney!...Oh, BOY is it not! We're fighting the Evil Dictator, with our wild counter-culturalism! :P "

Nowadays, thirty-five years after the Nixon era, we have a little thing called diversity:
The animation gets judged as to whether it's better or worse than Bob Zemeckis, the cult-comic source material gets judged as to whether it's better or worse than "Hellboy", and the whole package gets judged as to whether or not it could play the shopping malls more effectively than the latest Dreamworks annoyance.
Yep: That's how diversity, new technology and a greedy free-market can take away our Innocence. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » July 30th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Eric you may have a point. But the goon could possibly bring interest to other studios to make older animated films for people who want it{if this does well of course, which would be surprising}.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Where this will break away from the likes of Final Fantasy is in its comic nature and offbeat approach. I think the 9 crowd will flock to this, and it could be a respectable, if not sizable, hit theatrically.

But comparing it to Friz just because it has an R-rating is a bit of a pale argument. That film wouldn't get made today and if this has any over the top moments they are still going to pale, being animated, against some of the crummy stuff being done in (more realistic, to the audience) live-action.

This won't be a huge smash and it won't change animation, but for those that like their offbeat animated films (like Monkeybone), this'll make a decent buck or two.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » July 30th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Ben we dont even know what the heck this is gonna be rated, either if R or PG13 which I'm okay with either one we dont even know if this is gonna be a hit or a dud. Besides, two of my friends compare El Superbeasto to fritz :roll:. As long as its got a good story I'm okay with it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2010, 7:44 am

Sorry...I wasn't indicating it *was* rated already, just saying that it would be a pale argument to compare it to Fritz just because it shared a similar rating.

Personally, I think the studios know that if they want a film - especially animated - to be a mainstream success, they need to get it down to a PG-13. That's pretty radical for an animated film anyway, but to give something like this an R rating right out of the gate is commercial suicide.

This way, the film's creators can make what dough may be available to them (it's still going to be a niche audience) and then bring out their original intentions (if they wanted to push the boundaries more) with an unrated disc version.

If they do go for an R first time theatrically, then whoever is bankrolling this can look forward to waiting a long time for a return on their investment, unless the film freakishly finds a sizable large audience, which even something similar like Mystery Men - a good film with a good cast of name performers - couldn't do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » August 1st, 2010, 7:54 am

Hhm, it's funny. Now that you mention it, the last mainstream R-rated animated features I can recall are Team America and South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (both of which did decent business), though Paramount did want a PG-13 on the latter, which Trey and Matt notably fought against.

But, it does seem adult animation has been reduced to adaptations of popular animated series and imported films, with the occasional one-off if there's a big name attached as producer or director (Tim Burton as producer on 9, Parker and Stone on Team America).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2010, 8:02 am

But South Park was a highly rated television show with a built-in audience. The Goon doesn't have that. And Team America? Not only did that have "the creators of South Park" behind it, but don't forget that they brought out an even harder unrated version on DVD too.

It's not just animation: most films nowadays are all built on brands, whether it be a property, an actor's face or a proven director. The goal at the end of the day is to make money and they will do what is needed to reach that goal (hence the whole Rapunzel/Tangled title change).

So, like I said, if they put The Goon out as an R-rated picture, it's going to do almost zero business based on a bunch of comics geeks going to see it. But as a wider appealing PG-13, which if I was a producer on something as risky as this I would push for, they've got a chance to reach the comics geeks and a curious audience.

This has happened with many recent on-the-edge horror films or even stuff like the Predators series, leaving the creators to bring out their unrated/originally intended versions on home video. It's just the nature of the business in this day and age.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » September 10th, 2010, 9:31 pm

to me, after reading some of the comics i could get my hands on, I think it would take the fun out of things if they made it a PG-13. Has this even gotten any further than even a trailer? I am so excited!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » September 13th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Rating announced along with its budget. Ben was right, its getting the PG13 rating.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46242

Hope this leads to a series of goon movies, which would be sweet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 14th, 2010, 6:52 am

Not surprising, really, especially as he says they need a distributing studio, which I didn't realize before. So, yes, it would have to be a PG-13 to attract the kind of distribution they're going to need. But note that is hasn't actually been rated yet (heck, it hasn't actually been made yet!), so anything could change.

They still have a way to go, but whatever happens, I'd still guess that this will be PG-13 in theaters and, if it's a success and warrants two pressings, look for that version and an "unrated director's cut" to come to home video.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » September 15th, 2010, 6:36 am

But ben. Even if this does get the PG13 treatment and does well enough, do u think it might allow studios to make animated films based on comic/graphic novels? Normally they would go for the live-action route but however the only comic I saw on the screen in my own view that has done justice with live-action is Scott Pilgrim(Although I cant stand the main character's actor btw)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2010, 2:29 pm

If it does well, it may well get more studios pushing the boat out to try more. But if the next one doesn't do well, that'll put an end to it. It's all about the money.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » February 1st, 2011, 9:44 am

I actually had a really good though about how this thing could be. Affected by the Oscars.

If David finches wins for best director, then he'll have more clout and Hollywood will be hop in to do whatever he wants... Which may include The Goon...
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 1st, 2011, 10:44 am

Not likely, actually. Fincher is currently at work on "The Girl with the Drgaon Tatoo," and is set to do a John Edwards bio pic after that. He'll be too busy to tackle yet another project.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."