WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by gaastra » March 27th, 2018, 3:26 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 27th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Maybe WB Archive can get around to putting that second Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Blu set out? That’s been on hold for years now!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 27th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Get in line, this's the double-dip for Droopy, and we STILL haven't gotten a generic Tex Avery at MGM collection outside of VHS.

(And Tex at Warner? They don't even remember he was ever there.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 27th, 2018, 9:19 pm

I'm just happy about mighty orbots and the mask. Been waiting for orbots!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 28th, 2018, 1:19 am

It has been nice to see most (if not all?) of WB's H-B series sets getting a second DVD release, in recent months .. but I'd still like to see new sets of H-B shows that haven't yet been on home video (most of which are listed by various folks upthread).

The Droopy set, as EricJ mentioned, is likewise a re-release .. and it would certainly be nice to have the rest of Tex Avery's M-G-M cartoons collected in a companion DVD set (though, The Compleat Tex Avery was also on Laserdisc, in addition to VHS).

I do hope we eventually get the rest of the Tom & Jerry cartoons on Blu-ray. The transfers on that first set were fantastic. :)

Kinda hoping for more WB cartoon sets like Porky 101, too..!

It really does seem Warner Archive is the ideal outlet for all of these things. It's tough to not become impatient, though. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2018, 6:34 am

Tex at Warners = Droopy reissue.

Yes, not a full set as on LD, but they do know he was there! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 28th, 2018, 1:44 pm

I believe by "Tex at Warner," EricJ was referring to Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons directed by Tex Avery. Droopy was an M-G-M character.

There is a nifty ongoing (though only randomly updated) blog dedicated to analysis & commentary on WB cartoons Supervised by Fred Avery .. which also notes where to find these cartoons on DVD (if available); many of them were included on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection sets, but others are sprinkled as 'bonus features' among random WHV movie DVDs. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2018, 4:20 pm

droosan wrote:I believe by "Tex at Warner," EricJ was referring to Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons directed by Tex Avery. Droopy was an M-G-M character.
...Now apologize to the nice folks for being wrong, Ben! :P

And yes, while having the great miscellaneous non-Droopy Tex MGM's like "Magical Maestro" or "Who Killed Who?" immortalized would be nice, we mustn't overlook the almost opposite style of Tex's Warner years, and remember "Hamateur Night", "A Feud There Was" and "Believe It Or Else" for its own Archive set.
While Tex's MGM gags went over the top, his Warner gags snuck in under the radar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2018, 6:14 pm

Yeah...so going back I guess I read your Tex/Warners blab as them not realizing they have so much of his stuff in their hands, hence the remark about the Droopy reissue, but ther's no need to be a dick about it, Eric; Droo got what I was thinking.

Besides, the non-Droopy Texes have already been "immortalised" on disc...if you have that "Compleat" LD set. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 7th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Not a cartoon but the live action supergirl movie is coming to Blu-ray with extras and two cuts of the film!

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/furthe ... y-release/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 8th, 2018, 1:23 am

Supergirl in HD is a must for this super-fan. I'm looking forward to what else gets revealed at the Comic-Con panel this year, as they're promising more "genre" stuff.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 8th, 2018, 2:07 pm

It's a darn shame in a way that these releases never come with slipcovers. That looks like the same cover art from the DVD I already have.

Still, very cool this is coming out, even though the Supergirl movie is something of a grand mess, with Faye Dunaway's wicked witch character only adding to the strangeness of it all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 8th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Randall wrote:Supergirl in HD is a must for this super-fan. I'm looking forward to what else gets revealed at the Comic-Con panel this year, as they're promising more "genre" stuff.
Funny enough, I have the panel on my list of ones to potentially attend. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 8th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Saw it as a kid at the drive in! (don't remember what the second movie was they showed. Guess it was something I didn't care about or we left after supergirl)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 8th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Also why no usa cut? I have the vhs tape but the dvd is always the extended cut. That's not the version I grew up with.