WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 4th, 2009, 6:34 pm

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... 50409.html

More on the WB Archives Program....

Barrie Maxwell has some things to say that people aren't going to like...

The summation --

a) program transfers are extremely variable = some are great, others merely good, some need desperate restoration but aren't getting it;
b) pressing and authoring is being done on the cheap = no progressive authoring; all interlaced DVD;
c) DVDs are bare-bones and overpriced;
d) all shipping is being done UPS with all the high shipping costs for foreign nationals and problems that has...

The program is far from perfect and I can tell there are going to be some big problems. The prices have to be lowered from $20 for this to be viable for many people. As it is, I'd record off TCM or Fox Movie Channel and live with the visible logos if they're going to charge $20 for bare-bones DVDs in this age. Ditto for shipping if I had to pay UPS prices all the time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2009, 11:31 am

Yep...but I knew what I was getting when I sent for my four discs.

Wish they'd had the 3-for-2 deal on startup, as I didn't qualify for that when I got mine, but this is something they should keep ongoing for the scheme.

I agree these are overpriced, that's the big issue here. But I would also argue that, apart from taping 4x3 interlaced or cropped editions from TV, there's no other way to get some of these titles.

I wish they were cheaper, but since I only anticipate picking up a handful (lots of "wish list" stuff in there but not that I really need, especially at the price) over time, I'm none too worried.

As I said before, at the end of the day, I'd rather have them than not.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 30th, 2009, 9:56 am

Just solicited! Maybe the first thing I'll buy from this program?

http://www.wbshop.com/Our-Gang-Comedies ... html?cgid=

It's Our Gang... Better known as "The Little Rascals."

These are NOT the same shorts issued last year in "The Little Rascals" collection by a different company.

This is part of my childhood TV watching and I've got 4 LR/OG discs hosted by Leonard Maltin that were issued by Hallmark Entertainment.

These two collected sets seem to be far more inclusive than the Maltin DVDs...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 31st, 2009, 9:20 am

I'm tempted by these too, especially at the price. I posted a review of some selected WBAC titles recently, most of which fall into the kind of thing some of our readers might appreciate:

http://animated-views.com/2009/warner-a ... ie-savage/

Looks like the ones I "requested" at the end are indeed coming: The Power has been previously mentioned as a title, and the wonderfully surreal comedy Hot Millions is featured in this month's batch.

Buying from the WBShop couldn't be simpler, either. Have fun George! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 10th, 2009, 11:32 pm

DeepDiscountDVD is selling these Warner titles. They actually price them higher, but this might be an option for those of us that live outside the U.S., since the Warner site allows sales only to the States.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Warne ... ode=110609

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2009, 9:54 am

DeepDISCOUNT!? Something of an oxymoron this time around, me thinks! :)

Amazon sell these too, but again higher than WB's "direct" price, though they do make them an option for international buyers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 22nd, 2009, 10:45 am

They added Yogi's first christmas, Flight of the dragons(!!!!!), and Life and Adventures of Santa Claus and Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey double pack.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 22nd, 2009, 11:21 am

Well, so much for waiting for their next complete Rankin-Bass box--
Any sign of the missing "Little Drummer Boy, Book II"?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 22nd, 2009, 12:00 pm

I've been waiting for The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. Funny it hasn't shown on regular DVD, with all the other specials and sets they've put out.

Flight of the Dragons was announced earlier this year, but it looks like they held off on a wide release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Remember that the WB Archive caters for the titles that they don't think would sell very well in wide release. It could probably be that those "Deluxe" discs they've been putting out just don't shift enough units. I mean, they dress them up nice, but it's likely only collectors are picking them up, and those same collectors will do the same with these editions, saving WB restoration costs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2009, 2:43 pm

Hey, did you see that Under the Rainbow is out too?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Yeah, I saw that, and have pulled the VHS from a box up at my Mum's. I was such the Chevy fan back in the 80s that I bought this on VHS...and remember it stinking. So I need to watch again before I even think about adding it to my WBA wish list.

Who knows, it may be much more interesting than I remember, but then again I just remember it being a bit crude and not in a funny way. Chase made a real couple of duds in the early 80s - remember Deal Of The Century, with only one truly terrifically funny two minute scene in the whole film!?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2009, 7:22 pm

My parents took us to see Under The Rainbow in the theatre, and I remember thinking as I watched it that it was inappropriate for me and my two younger siblings... and not all that funny. I've never seen it since.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 23rd, 2009, 11:16 pm

The old-school Star Wars fan in me always wondered whatever happened to late-70's Carrie Fisher after that one. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 14th, 2009, 12:19 am

We have a review of Warner's first cartoon Archive release!

http://animatedviews.com/2009/yogis-first-christmas/