WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by droosan » July 22nd, 2018, 8:38 pm

gaastra wrote:2 Stupid Dogs and Super Secret Secret Squirrel Show! (also fraggle rock cartoon coming to Blu-ray!)

https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/p ... 9300921063
"Yeah! YEEEEEEeaahhh! OH, Yeah!"

I can finally retire my 'taped off TBS 26 years ago' VHS cassettes..! :mrgreen:

*coughs up corncob*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 22nd, 2018, 9:18 pm

Not to mention Fraggle Rock proper to Blu-ray! Though, as it was done on video, it remains to see how it will come out in HD.

Not sure if I need 2SD, but I'm curious about the new SS, which I never saw.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 22nd, 2018, 10:48 pm

Super-Secret Secret Squirrel was actually pretty cool; a worthy follow-up to the original TV series, IMO. The main difference being that all of the characters are animals .. and the addition of the 'Agent 99-esque' character, Penny.

2 Stupid Dogs is just dumb fun. :) Though, it could be 'repetitive', at times; like its contemporary, Ren & Stimpy, it latched onto certain running gags/catchphrases and ran with them across multiple short cartoons, often without context .. because if it was funny once, it's funny every time, right..? (little dog: "no")

Both are important shows, however, for their role as an incubator for the core talent that would forge Cartoon Network's identity in the ensuing decade.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 23rd, 2018, 2:09 am

I have seen a number of 2SD cartoons, since they appeared as a bonus on so many H-B tapes back then. I found them okay, but now in retrospect I can appreciate them more for the reasons you mentioned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 23rd, 2018, 7:22 am

Popeye The Sailor, volume 4 .. picking-up right where the DVD sets left off, a decade(!) ago: with fourteen Famous Studios 'WWII-era' theatrical shorts, in full-color. Coming on December 11th; just in time for Christmas! :D

And, the cartoons will be available on either DVD or Blu-ray (as separate releases; so .. two purchases, for anyone who'd want both formats).

No word on whether there may be an HD 're-release' of the Fleischer Popeye shorts .. but if this set sells well enough, who knows..? 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2018, 6:53 pm

Jerry Beck has indicated that this may our final chance to show support for a classic animation release from Warner Archive. We will only get further chances if this one sells. (He said the awesome Porky Pig set just broke even, which isn't good enough. :( ) So don't delay--- order NOW! :)

Popeye is now available for order on Amazon, as well as the WB Shop.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 23rd, 2018, 9:36 pm

Randall wrote:Jerry Beck has indicated that this may our final chance to show support for a classic animation release from Warner Archive. We will only get further chances if this one sells. (He said the awesome Porky Pig set just broke even, which isn't good enough. :( ) So don't delay--- order NOW! :)
I know the problems of dealing with Mad King Ludwig when it comes to rare Warner Archive vintage-cartoon sets--heck, we went through this same issue in retail with Warner's "Mouse Chronicles" Blu-ray set, and it didn't turn out so well--but....the freakin' Famous Popeyes, Jerry??
Yes, I want to save vintage cartoons on the Archive as much as anyone, but how about a few realistic expectations of 30's Porky and 40's-50's POPEYE?? :evil:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2018, 3:25 am

I don’t see why they didn’t just issue the much in demand Tom & Jerry Volume Two set. That was all ready to go before it was cancelled so it would have been almost zero cost and maximum profit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 31st, 2019, 9:36 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 31st, 2019, 9:47 pm

Jetsons too, now? Plus Jonny Quest, as announced earlier. That's pretty nice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2019, 10:15 pm

Randall wrote:Jetsons too, now? Plus Jonny Quest, as announced earlier. That's pretty nice.
Looks like they're taking the "easy" one-season series, not the, ahem, seven seasons of, say "The Flintstones".... :x

Still, one season means we might get a set for Yogi Bear--
Nice to see franchise-hungry Warner is back to LIKING Hanna-Barbera again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 9th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Not wa but at long last the rest of scooby movies is coming to dvd!
The New Scooby-Doo Movies - The Lost Episodes (Warner)
$29.98 SRP DVD
-----The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The Lost Episodes features eight never-before-released episodes that are now available together on DVD for the first time. Fans of Scooby-Doo can't get enough of the Mystery Inc. Gang teaming up with stellar celebrity guest stars who help them solve the most intriguing cases. In The Best of the Scooby-Doo Movies: The Lost Episodes, the gang joins forces with heartthrob Davy Jones as well as Josie and the Pussycats. The magical duo of Jeannie and Babu help rescue the gang in an ancient pyramid. Help Scooby-Doo search high and low for all the fun and hijinks with these eight lost episodes: 1. A Good Medium is Rare - Phyllis Diller; 2. Sandy Duncan's Jekyll and Hyde - Sandy Duncan; 3. The Secret of Shark Island - Sonny and Cher; 4. The Haunted Horseman of Hagglethorn Hall - Davy Jones; 5. The Phantom of The Country Music Hall - Jerry Reed; 6. The Haunted Showboat - Josie and the Pussycats; 7. Scooby-Doo Meets Jeannie (Mystery in Persia) - Jeannie and Babu; 8. The Spirited Spooked Sport Show - Tim Conway. All eight episodes featured on The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The Lost Episodes are also included in The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection.
NOTE: this title is provided by Warner as an option available for fans who already own the 2005 DVD release of "The Best of The New Scooby-Doo Movies," with 15 of the episodes that will also be included on "The (Almost) Complete Collection."
https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/p ... __tn__=K-R

Also paw paws is coming!

https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/p ... __tn__=K-R

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 9th, 2019, 11:54 pm

I'm really excited to get those Scooby episodes. They're a long time coming. It'll be great seeing Scoob and the gang team up with the Pussycats, Jeannie, etc. :)

Unfortunately, one episode could not be cleared. The Addams Family team-up is missing, even though the AF cartoon is out on DVD from Warner.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2019, 6:55 am

Ah, hence the "Almost". I was wondering what that was all about. Weird, though different production companies and licensing probably have something to say about it. Maybe they’ll work it out and offer it as a digital extra or something.

This was the only Scooby set I ever got on DVD, but the mix of "guest stars" made it fun even if they weren’t always the best episodes, and the fact that the new Blu has the remaining shows - sans Addams - makes it good for another purchase when the price drops enough.

Right Shaggy!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 10th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Don't get why it's Addams with them owning both the 60s and 90s cartoons and 60s is on dvd. You think the I dream of jeanie episode would give them more trouble.