WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by droosan » October 3rd, 2016, 9:46 pm

Randall wrote:One more 60s classic is coming... Peter Potamus! Looks like a 3-disc set on the FB video. That's another one I'd wondered if we'd get to see. Guess I'm not done collecting these yet.
.. hopefully with Breezly & Sneezly and Yippee, Yappee & Yahooey in tow..! (odds for that are pretty good, I'd guess; given WA's treatment of the Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel half-hour shows) :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 4th, 2016, 12:33 am

I'd say so, especially given that this is a 3-disc set. I think all the H-B 3-short shows have been complete on their WHV/WA sets (though sometimes reconstructed, in at least the case of Huck, as I recall).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 4th, 2016, 1:23 am

I was just going through the Saturday-morning 60's collection, trying to get a working knowledge of the mid-60's post-Pebbles characters (Atom, Secret, Wally, Magilla, etc.)--in preparation for going through the Yogi's Gang set--and was wondering what happened to Peter Potamus. :)
BTW, do the Atom and Secret collections have complete half-hour shows?

Guess they do have a few last missing H-B's after all--That still leaves New Adventures of Gulliver, doesn't it?
(My guess?--"They'll never make it...")

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 4th, 2016, 2:19 am

Yep .. Atom Ant includes Precious Pupp & Hillbilly Bears segments, and Secret Squirrel has Squiddly Diddly & Winsome Witch .. preserving the original half-hour format of each show. :)

.. and whenever I read your phrase, 'post-Pebbles', this is what comes to mind:

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 6th, 2016, 3:44 pm

One comment on Twitter brought up a question I'd always been wondering:
One Twitter wag, sentimentally trying to resurrect Cartoon Network's "Any 60's H-B with animals running around looping backgrounds is evil" propaganda from the 00's, joked on Warner Archive's feed:
Pitch: "It's a cartoon about a hippopotamus who sounds like Joe E. Brown. The kids will love it!"
And it occurred to me, wait a minute...Joe E. Brown? I'd always liked Peter Potamus's voice for sounding like it belonged to a big-mouthed hippo (even though it was just Daws Butler recycling his Lippy the Lion/Joe Rockhead voice), but I was never sure whether it was "supposed" to be any previous-generation famous-comic shtick. (I first thought Eddie Foy, but...)
Joe E. Brown would certainly go with the "big mouth" joke, and Pete's hurricane-holler seems to channel Brown's "hhhhHELP!" shtick, but one of the problems with mid-60's post-Pebbles H-B (okay, you got a better name for it?) is that the writers were too caught up in character concepts, and had gotten away from homaging famous radio/burlesque stars: In the early days, Snagglepuss had Bert Lahr's act, Hokey Wolf was a Phil Silvers conman, and some of the DVD-featurette experts even theorized that Quick-Draw McGraw had Red Skelton roots, but the later Atom, Secret and Magilla were just funny ideas for characters with standard-trope funny voices--Wally Gator had Ed Wynn's funny voice, y'know, but not any other act that was particularly reminiscent of Wynn.

So, um...IS Peter supposed to be "anybody"? The "dead comics" trope took a lot of straw-man beating not just from 00's CN but also the mid-80's Robotech/Voltron fans as "proof" of Why US Toons Were Outdated And Bad, but I'd gotten my first taste of liking Lahr and Silvers just from realizing I'd heard them before.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 19th, 2016, 7:35 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm

EricJ wrote:And it occurred to me, wait a minute...Joe E. Brown?
Joe E. Brown would certainly go with the "big mouth" joke, and Pete's hurricane-holler seems to channel Brown's "hhhhHELP!" shtick,
On second thought, yeah, guess he is: :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 1st, 2016, 10:44 pm

Awwwww yeah, Warner Archive .. Cats Don't Dance in widescreen!! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 1st, 2016, 11:21 pm

Droo beat me to it! Yes, great news. I still have my widescreen LaserDisc, but I may need to upgrade. But, no Blu-ray?! A hi-def copy would have clinched it.

Plus, Doc Savage Blu-ray and Peter Potamus this week!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 1st, 2016, 11:56 pm

I tried to watch it AFTER seeing Dindal's "Chicken Little", which was a mistake, because now I could see the artistic similarities...
We were so naive, back in those Renaissance-and-Knockoff 90's.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 29th, 2016, 9:08 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 4th, 2017, 7:47 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 5th, 2017, 7:52 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 5th, 2017, 11:52 pm

I bought Top Cat when the series set was first released over a decade ago. I finally finished it a few months ago. (And I'm still less than half-way through the first Jetsons set! And only on Season 2 of The Flintstones!)

Man, I have a lot of discs to still catch up on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 6th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Randall wrote:I bought Top Cat when the series set was first released over a decade ago. I finally finished it a few months ago. (And I'm still less than half-way through the first Jetsons set! And only on Season 2 of The Flintstones!)
But at least Season 2 was the genius season, with the six Larry Markes episodes...In our family, we used to grow up quoting core "The Missing School Bus" and "Flintstone at Princestone" lines as kids, the way some people quote Chuck Jones refs. :lol:

To get over withdrawal, I've looked up a few fan-bootleg Boomerang streams of Quick-Draw McGraw and Huckleberry V2, and yeah, there's clearly enough Screen Gems/Bozo music in there that it'll take years to iron out, and the other holy-grails of missing H-B series mentioned earlier in the thread are long in coming.

With the one-off Specials disk, we still have yet to explore the H-B worlds of Saturday Superstar Movies, Kenner Classic Tales and Afterschool Specials, but most of H-B's Superstar Movies were just spinoffs of existing licensed-property ABC-TV shows, and tied up in the same rights as Jeannie, Fonzie and the Addams Family.