Original Godzilla stomps onto Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Original Godzilla stomps onto Blu-ray

Post by Daniel » May 7th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Thanks to Fangoria:
Fango got the word from Classic Media that it will give the original 1954 kaiju classic GOJIRA (GODZILLA) its Blu-ray debut this fall, distributed by Genius Products. The company also sent along a first look at the packaging, which you can see below.

This disc, which streets September 22, will replicate the contents of Classic Media’s previous double-DVD set, including: digitally remastered hi-def transfers of both the original, Ishiro Honda-directed Japanese version of the film with English subtitles and the heavily edited U.S. edition, GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS, featuring new footage starring Raymond Burr; the audio commentaries by Big G experts Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski; the Making of the Godzilla Suit and GODZILLA: Story Development featurettes; and the theatrical trailers. Retail price is $29.93. For more on Classic Media’s Japanese-monster releases, click here.
I'm very exited, but at the same I already have the original DVD... in the Classic Media boxset to boot. Not sure if I'll double-dip, but HD, gah! Mighty tempting. I really do love the original and even like the US edition. I suppose I'll wait for reviews.

One things for sure, if the picture is any indication, the DVD packaging will still rule! I personally love the way they've been packaged, so it would be a shame if the change to HD will lose that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2009, 4:44 pm

...and hopefully the image won't have those interlacing artifacts either...! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 7th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Updated: See the saem link for this, but the US version apparently will not be a part of this package.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 8th, 2009, 4:51 am

Is that such a bad thing?

There's enough hilariously bad stuff in the "man in rubber suit films" without the added US footage and dubbed dialogue! :lol:

P.S. -- I really have to admit I'm a bit upset I missed the point at which I reached 1701 posts a few weeks ago...

Natch natch!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 8th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Nearly up to 1800 George. ;)